They should make it with the option to turn off the click. That way you can just touch it if you'd rather not click. I like the click feature when I'm using the browser (make no errors clicking links like on my ipod touch) but I don't need it really when typing. They should have known the space between the screen and the phone would be a dust issue. All in all the phone is solid.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-16-09 02:29 AM
    Well it seems the phone WILL Click and it will sport TruePress which adds more click contacts...

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - The Official Blackberry Storm 2 Pre-release Thread
    05-16-09 02:32 AM
    Well it seems the phone WILL Click and it will sport TruePress which adds more click contacts...

HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - View Single Post - The Official Blackberry Storm 2 Pre-release Thread
    Dude that is from the comments section of the Engadget article saying the Storm 2 will not click. Overlooking the fact it is from the comments section, something about it seems fake. At such a early stage I doubt anyone but RIM employees would be testing it, and that guy that wrote it does not seem like a RIM employee; because if he was would he not know that there are buttons in all four corners without taking it apart?
    05-16-09 11:23 AM
    i personally love the sure press on this phone. i dont love the phone but i love the sure press.
    05-16-09 11:40 AM
    I to am a fan of the Surepress screen. That was there biggest selling point with this phone. They have had so many people make returns because of it malfunctioning, that they probably dont want to deal with that again.

Either they dont do it again, or if they actually decide to do it, there will be a much better way and a lot more development in making it happen so they dont run into headaches again. I dont know what to believe anymore. Before there was reports of TruePress and now this? So, its going to have it or not?

And, the release photos we have seen, the screen looks like the way it did with the first Gen Storm. The sides small gaps possibly indicating it clicks. They need to make it with that same push button in the middle of the first Gen Storm under the LCD. But this time, put about 6 of those buttons. 4 for the corners and 2 for around the middle. This time when it "clicks" it does it stronger and studier in all parts of the screen. And think about the long run with this one also.
    05-16-09 11:41 AM
    They should make it with the option to turn off the click. That way you can just touch it if you'd rather not click. I like the click feature when I'm using the browser (make no errors clicking links like on my ipod touch) but I don't need it really when typing. They should have known the space between the screen and the phone would be a dust issue. All in all the phone is solid.

thats what ive been saying since last thanksgiving lol
    05-16-09 11:50 AM
    I'm annoyed that the actual screen doesnt go all the way to the edges and all the way to the buttons. It still has that black edge all the way around it. Its a little thing, but it annoys the heck out of me. I wish the screen just went from edge to edge and close to the buttons.
    05-16-09 12:04 PM
    I believe the Storm 2 has a touch sensitive screen that is kinda like truepress except there is no feedback involved.

Simply tapping or touching something softly won't select it, but pressing a bit harder will.
    05-16-09 12:16 PM
    I believe the Storm 2 has a touch sensitive screen that is kinda like truepress except there is no feedback involved.

Simply tapping or touching something softly won't select it, but pressing a bit harder will.
    Oh, that's a good one. So it doesn't press down, but rather "sense pressure". Now that's kinda pimp! It would solve the issue with the screen clicks we have now, but also allow for the OS features to stay in place, like hovering over a button or graphic to select it, but until you actually press with some pressure, it won't register. I kinda like that idea.
    05-16-09 12:29 PM
    I prefer the sure press but a good alternative is to have it give audio and vibrating feedback when you actually press and not tap/swipe the button.... I had an LG dare (for 3 weeks before I turned it in for the storm) and that is the system I used and it worked nicely.

That said, I still prefer the surepress. Can't believe RIM is ditching it. It will take months to get use to pushing the screen and feeling it click for positive feedback. I bet the regret that decision.

05-16-09 12:30 PM
    Oh, that's a good one. So it doesn't press down, but rather "sense pressure". Now that's kinda pimp! It would solve the issue with the screen clicks we have now, but also allow for the OS features to stay in place, like hovering over a button or graphic to select it, but until you actually press with some pressure, it won't register. I kinda like that idea.
    Yep, it seems like the plausible way forward for a successor to the Storm. Does any other touch screen phone operate like that out of the box?
    05-16-09 12:41 PM
    the storm IS the click...without it, its just another blackberry...
    05-16-09 03:07 PM
    I like the click.... As far as the keyboard goes... If it was fast enough, they should be able to have a glide mode where the character in the editor changes with the illuminated key as your finger moves over in landscape mode, then click for confirmation. I guess it would sort of be the inverse of the iphone, but with the character in the editor, and not little balloons by the keys. Couldn't be that hard to implement, it kind of already does it if you hold your finger over a key, then it pops up alternative characters. Just move it to the editor, and make it real time.

It would really kick tale...

Terry
    05-16-09 06:00 PM
    How do you now there isn't a surepress? It looks like it but what if the entire screen is surepress including the 4 keys?
    05-16-09 06:25 PM
    I love the click! hope it's still there
    05-16-09 06:40 PM
    Just my $.02:

I don't know if anyone has used the LG Dare or Versa. Great phones for what they are. Feature filled "Dumb Phones". Anyways, they had a "Double Vibrate" option for when a button (Touch screen) was pressed. I'm sure other phones had it, but when I used that phone, I actually felt like I was pressing a button and releasing it. I prefer it to the storm because the only moving part in the "Vibrator", which is needed in the phone anyways. It also felt like I was much faster while typing.

If the storm 2 uses this type of haptic feedback, I will happily embrace it. Plus it allows programmers to not have to think about the press feature of the touch screen (Opera Mini anyone?). It's a move in the right direction. That said, I will be keeping my Storm 1 for quite some time even though I am eligible for my NE2. I've grown fond of it.
    Last edited by fitch220; 05-16-09 at 07:01 PM. Reason: Clarification
    05-16-09 07:00 PM
    the storm IS the click...without it, its just another blackberry...

wow...there is hope in the future.....
    05-16-09 07:13 PM
    The more moving parts on the screen, the more to go wrong. I want the non press screens. Too many problems with dust, not clicking right etc. on Storm 1.
    05-16-09 08:19 PM
    I have to agree with some people. Yes the click is the storm. With out the click its not the storm. yes it would be better with a full touch screen to avoid the dust and issues the click screen brings. Me personally, I havent had any dust issues. (knock on wood) The thign for me will be if the storm 2 really far improves on the first one. Changing the screen and adding wifi wouldnt make me upgrade to a new storm. I like my storm now my issues is with the OS i shouldnt have to load leaked or hybrids to make my storm work. Either way i think if it comes to it, i might just wait to see for the new LTE devices that should be coming out soon. I've read it they should be SIM based phones which should rock maybe the iphone to verizon isnt that far off if they do stick to GSM/SIM card based phones. Or maybe the Zune "PINK" phone rumors. i think LTE will bring in some great competition and with GSM/SIM Verizon will have more phones made for it.
    05-16-09 09:25 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD