I'm surprised nobody has started a thread on this, but both BGR and Engadget are reporting that the Storm 2 will not have a SurePress screen... let the mayhem begin...

BlackBerry Storm 2 dropping SurePress screen?

Verizon’s upcoming BlackBerry releases: Tour, Pearl Flip, Atlas Storm 2 info : Boy Genius Report

^for the BGR link its the second point...
    05-15-09 06:50 PM
    If that is the case ill be sticking with my original storm. I love this device. I've never had any problems with it and the surepress screen is bar none my favorite feature.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-15-09 06:52 PM
    I agree. I couldn't see myself going back. It's nice to get feedback when ur pressing the screen.
    05-15-09 06:54 PM
    exactly are all those people freaking out and wanting the Storm 2 still interested? I for one am a little put off, because I really don't think I can go back to a no-click phone.... also I know that it is still a very early, but clearly they wouldn't make a prototype Storm 2 without a click unless they were planning on making the final that way, because frankly what would be the point of the prototype then... therefore there must be some truth to the matter?... maybe CX or RG could give us some input?
    Last edited by DrCoolBerry; 05-15-09 at 06:57 PM.
    05-15-09 06:54 PM
    Haptic feedback is the way to go if it can be implemented right.

Go Storm 2!
    05-15-09 07:00 PM
    I personally think the SurePress idea isn't that great. Another, unnecessary, thing to break.
    05-15-09 07:16 PM
    The leaked pics showed the screen was not clickable.
    05-15-09 07:17 PM
    no surepress = no sale
    05-15-09 07:19 PM
    I'm glad. I couldn't stand the screen on the original Storm.
    05-15-09 07:19 PM
    Well if I wanted a phone without surepress I would buy an Iphone....guess I might have to if my original Storm dies....Surepress is why I bought the Storm, I like the technology!

No Surepress and no on chip hardware video implementation in the OS =
    No buying another BB touchscreen device.

It's either back to my BB pearl or an Iphone for me if this is the case.
    05-15-09 07:38 PM
    I thought they changed the technology to true press.

05-15-09 07:44 PM
    Dont really care if the screen clicks or not, just want t o eliminate screen wobble!!!
    05-15-09 07:47 PM
    I love the click screen. But then I've never had another touch screen, so have nothing to compare to.
    05-15-09 07:58 PM
    I don't understand why RIM would even consider not having SurePress on the Storm part Deux. That is so i-Phoneish that it just seems like they are trying to make a cheaper version of the original.
    05-15-09 08:04 PM
    Firstly, those of you who love the SurePress, your contracts probably have another year to go. Who knows, by then we might have an LTE touchscreen device and an irresistable reason to upgrade.

Secondly, there is the very real possibility that they have a decent haptic feedback solution, and if so, you might just find that haptic feedback gives you a similar satisfaction as your SurePress.

Thirdly, we're all at the mercy of the devices out there. If you want a 3G Curve, you can't get it yet, so you either have to accept a different keyboard than the Curve's separated keys, or you get a non-BlackBerry. Sure, they'll probably have a 3G Javelin soon enough, but that's not the point. The point is that just like SurePress, the input method many people like best isn't really available in the highest end device at all times. So, eventually, you will have to move away from SurePress because if BB doesn't continue it, there isn't going to be a competitor that will pick it up.

Personally, I prefer the normal touchscreen method because it is easier for typing. But, the Storm 2 is rumored to have something new called TruePress, and if that is haptic feedback, we might all be pleased ... and/or betatesting a new input system.
    05-15-09 08:11 PM
    There has to be some kind of button action going on with that screen. I see gaps around the screen just like my current storm.

I have to agree also, I love the sure press. Great feature.
    05-15-09 08:28 PM
    This has been commented on. The report is that the device does have feedback, but what exactly that feedback is?? any guess is good until we get more information
    05-15-09 08:30 PM
    storm 2 will be much like iphone when it comes to true press
    Last edited by Oilersboy; 05-15-09 at 09:57 PM.
    05-15-09 08:45 PM
    no click WHAT!!!!!!!!!
    05-15-09 08:48 PM
    This is so dumb. I don't understand why RIM would put themselves back in the regular touch screen device category. The screen on the present Storm is great. Yes you need to put paper behind the battery but who cares that's easy. If it doesn't click I'm not buying it even if it does have Wi-Fi. If RIM follows through and this statement is true, I'll wait for the first BlackBerry device on VZW with Wi-FI
    05-15-09 08:54 PM
    I don't like the screen wobble either. May go for the tour if I stay with verizon.

05-15-09 09:12 PM
    If RIM is moving away from a screen with any movement to it, it is either because they've found something better, or because the warranty return issues with regard to screen click and dust behind the screen are far more than we are aware of and are being discussed on here. Those warranty returns can cost alot of money when done in massive numbers, especially when it is related to a simple adjustment of a couple of screws that can loosen over time.
    05-15-09 09:19 PM
    and this my friends is why I am switching to the blackberry Tour when it comes out in a couple months....
    05-15-09 09:20 PM
    I am all for the non click screen. Bring it on, I will go back to the Storm!
    05-15-09 09:54 PM
    Let's see...

A screen with big gaps allowing dust and other crap to get in there where paper is required behind the battery for proper function all while having the screen wobble from side to side and hard buttons that fall off when used too often. (That's right, that was all one sentence baby)

Or Storm 2.

Jeez, this is such a tough decision.
    05-15-09 09:57 PM
69 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD