So, i have been thinking about replacing my storm for an htc touch pro, but when i went to the HTC website to look at the phone, it is much nicer than what verizon offers. Any body know why verizon offers such a crappy version of it? am i looking at the wrong phone? I think there is a big difference between the 2.

If the answer is stupid due to my lack of research.. i apologize.

Thank you
    01-07-09 03:04 PM
    For one I'll never move back to a WinMo phone. You have to consider and see that the Pro image on HTC's website is a rendering image of the phone, not an actual pic of the phone like on VZW's website.
    01-07-09 03:11 PM
    hands down storm bro, the one think that gets ppl is the opera feature that the HTC has already.
    01-07-09 03:13 PM
    Both me and my husband replaced our Storms for the HTC Touch Pro. I love the HTC touch pro - the Storm was my first blackberry. I had no big issues with the Storm, it just wasn't what i was used to having always had a WinMo device.

Verizon does limit some of the things on the HTC, but there is enough there. The Touch Flo 3D interface is pretty cool and makes it easy to navigate if you don't like the standard WinMo interface.

It is however a bigger, bulkier phone than the Storm, but this hasn't bothered me at all.
    For one I'll never move back to a WinMo phone. You have to consider and see that the Pro image on HTC's website is a rendering image of the phone, not an actual pic of the phone like on VZW's website.
    True.. but WTF.. wouldnt they render something like what they intend to sell?
    Thats marketing for you.
    01-07-09 03:16 PM
    I have to agree with "never going back to WinMo". I most recently came from the Samsung I760 with WinMo 6.1. If you think that the battery pulls are bad on the Storm, just wait till you have to soft-reset your WinMo phone 5 times a day. (minimum)
    If you have any experience with Windows on your computer, you will most likely find the OS easy to navigate through. But for me personally, that was the ONLY upside over BB.
    01-07-09 03:18 PM
    Both me and my husband replaced our Storms for the HTC Touch Pro. I love the HTC touch pro - the Storm was my first blackberry. I had no big issues with the Storm, it just wasn't what i was used to having always had a WinMo device.

Verizon does limit some of the things on the HTC, but there is enough there. The Touch Flo 3D interface is pretty cool and makes it easy to navigate if you don't like the standard WinMo interface.

It is however a bigger, bulkier phone than the Storm, but this hasn't bothered me at all.
    I've had 4 WinMo phones and 2 PDA's with WinMo. All
    of them drove me crazy with all the crap they gave me. MS has just convoluted all of their OS' including WinMo, I refuse to go back until they make their OS' leaner. I mean it's good enough I have to deal with windows on the PC's I build and troubleshoot constantly until they're running good. But dealing with the WinMo OS on a smaller qwerty drives me insane and I refuse to deal with it anymore until MS does something about it.

I feel better now.
    01-07-09 03:21 PM
    I too am terrified of going back to WM, i owned 3 minmo phones, i know what u mean, but i am losing faith in storm, and i didnt even have any serious problems other that that jvm error 502.. maybe its that deadline approaching on the 15 th that has me jittery about keeping it.

So thank you all for the opinions, its greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by xnight; 01-07-09 at 03:25 PM.
    01-07-09 03:22 PM
    My wife has the touch pro. The win mo is LAGGY! Its big, bulky, and runs win mo. If I were you I'd get the curve or wait for the niagra too be released in May.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 03:22 PM
    Don't think the grass is always greener.

I work in a IT firm that is a Microsoft Gold Partner. Everyone in the office has an HTC Diamond or Pro. I am the ******* red headed step child with a Storm. All of them at one point or another have had to exchange them for a new one. One guy in particular is on his 5th Touch Pro. I have used both of the HTC phones. It is still just a Win-mo phone with a pretty theme that's all. So if Win-Mo is your cup of tea go for it. I have had Win-Mo and Palm phones in the past. I take prefer the Storm over those. Yes it has it's issues (I am on my second one) but what phone is perfect?
    01-07-09 03:27 PM
    So, i have been thinking about replacing my storm for an htc touch pro, but when i went to the HTC website to look at the phone, it is much nicer than what verizon offers. Any body know why verizon offers such a crappy version of it? am i looking at the wrong phone? I think there is a big difference between the 2.

Thank you
    I wouldn't recommend the HTC Touch Pro simply for the fact that it's WinMo -- and from past experience it's a nightmare. I'd almost be willing to bet the beta .85 OS for the Storm (barring any bad hardware) is already faster than the HTC Pro, and with RIM behind it, we know it'll be even better.

Anyway, back while I was looking into getting a HTC Touch Pro or Diamond, I noticed that the Verizon Touch Pro was crippled compared to the version Sprint offered. I don't remember the specs, but Verizons model has a slower CPU and half the memory. I'm not sure if it'd be worth going to the Sprint network for a faster phone if you don't have a signal.

Google might be of more help to compare the two.
    01-07-09 03:29 PM

Thank you
    You could always put a different ROM on the Verizon Touch Pro to get it running better. I've read a ROM change will enable the device to read all of it's RAM because Verizon cap'd it off for some apparent and dumb reason.

The only thing you would be stuck with is the keyboard which is not as good as the Sprint and AT&T version.
    01-07-09 03:40 PM
    I came to the storm from the touch pro. It is the slowest, most laggy phone ive ever laid my hands on (even slower than the KRZR, and that says a lot).
    01-07-09 03:50 PM
    I may get burned by saying this, but I had FAR less problems with my xv6800 running winmo than I have with my storm. Of course, the storm, being brand new definately had some bugs to work out. ANyway, I would stay away from the verizon version of this phone. They've done a bunch of nonsense to that phone, the processor and memory are downgraded compared to the sprint model, also the placement of the "M" button is between two arrow keys. The touch flo is slower than anything the storm could produce. Plus it's much bulkier.

The upside is you can put a different ROM on it and unlock just about everything verizon locks down, such as GPS and what not, also the ability to get tons of aftermarket software.

The best bet is to get a sprint version of the Touch Pro and flash it using Verizon's ROM, a friend of mine at work did that, it's a much nicer phone than the verizon model. Still wouldn't swap it for my storm though.
    01-07-09 04:05 PM
    The European, US Verizon, US AT&T, and US Sprint releases of the Touch Pro each have minor aesthetic differences (the Fuze is AT&T's version of the Touch Pro). I think the picture shown on HTC's site is the European release. Of all of them, Verizon got the ugliest one, I think.
    01-07-09 04:12 PM
    I absolutley hate Win Mo devices. You could not give me one for free to use it.
    01-07-09 04:14 PM
    i'd stay clear of windows mobile.
    01-07-09 04:15 PM
    if u think the altered construction materials are bad, wait til you take a look at the insides

there's a documented decrease in memory in Verizon's version of the Touch Pro when compared to AT&T's and Sprint's

if you thought the lag was bad on the Storm, wait til you get a hold of the Touch Pro

(WinMo experts may be able to navigate around this. As a WinMo newbie, I will admit I was thoroughly frustrated at the incredible lag on the device)
    01-07-09 04:38 PM
    My brother has the htc pro and has no problems with it. Some of you just want everything perfect. He has it for sprint too, works like a charm. Ya'll some haters.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-07-09 04:50 PM
    As stated, verizon messed the phone up royally. They had them redo the exterior to make it uglier and more like a brick. they also had them change the keyboard to remove 2 whole columns of keys. worse, they put the page up key between the m and and the n keys!

now that wouldnt be too bad if that was all they did, BUT they also took 100MB of RAM out of the phone! Yes, you heard me right, the verizon version has about 100MB less RAM than the at&t, sprint and euro models! This makes touch flo 3d even slower!

plus the resistive touch screen is garbage. i tried it in the store and its just as hard to use as kevin describes.

now you havent heard me say, winmo sucks, or dont get it cause its winmo, and there is a good reason for that....

i love winmo. yeah i said it, i love winmo. i like it better than the blackberry os in many ways. you can mod it, you can customize it, you can tweak it as much as you want, you can get endless apps. you dont like the touch screen keyboard? no problem! get one of the 10 other ones made for winmo! no need for bis or bes plans. and native sync with exchange!

but the touch pro was crippled by verizon so the phone itself is bad.

i would look at the omnia if you want to leave the storm. i would get the omnia but my main issue with the storm is typing, and that isnt going to get much better on the omnia.

the saga is also a phone to look at. i would stay away from the touch pro though, unfortunately.

now i ended up with the storm because even though i like winmo, doesnt mean its always best for me. i wanted to try something different and i love the hardware of the storm. i wish it had a few things, but overall i think it has potential and i think rim is going to keep upgrading the os because they need this phone to do well.

i do miss the customization of winmo, and miss the ability to write small apps (its so hard to write apps for bllackberries, i dont even try) but limke i said the storm is new and fun and i am waiting for better winmo devices on verizon like the touch hd.
    01-07-09 05:31 PM

I think you need to divorce your husband immediately jk jk jk jk jk

But anyway if you were to get a touch pro I wouldn't get the crippled verizon version. The totally screwed up the keyboard by putting the up arrow key between the "n" and "m" buttons, who ever thought of that should be fired. I hear the ATT version is decent, but you have to put a cooked rom on it for it to run acceptably.
    01-07-09 05:50 PM
    And of course there's HTC's obnoxious proprietary headphone jack interface.
    01-07-09 05:54 PM

Thank you
    I've got a Sprint HTC Touch Pro running flawlessly on the Verizon network. Data, SMS/MMS, Voice, everything. I think I'm gonna stay with the Storm. Tough choice but I've gotta get rid of one.

If you go HTC TP, I'd sell you mine. It's been used about 10-14 days. That's it. PM me if interested.
    01-08-09 09:32 PM

Thank you
    i had the original touch and its the worst phone ive ever had period.sooooooooo with that said i am definetly anti htc.

p.s i have had various pda's/ smartphones all o.s's for about 6 years. so when i say its the worst... that means something

i had the original palm 700w which was worst then the touch, but thats not saying much:-)
    Last edited by FAM184; 01-09-09 at 01:30 AM.
    01-09-09 01:26 AM
28 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD