Well, My send key fell off today, and I called Tech Support for replacement, and they said I could have A New One, or Replacement....It was my choice. He said a new one would be several weeks, and recommended a replacement. He said the replacements are reconditioned, and checked by Rim for any problems, especially the problems everyone has run into! He said Rim then Certifies them.........Anyone else heard of this? Or is the guy FOS? Also the replacement I will get on Friday! Also was told if there are ANY problems with it to ship it right back. If this is true.....I recommend getting a replacement instead of new! Thoughts?????????
    12-10-08 11:23 PM
    i call BS.. i would call back and get a supervisor on the phone.. they all try and play the games like this.. heard it from many of my friends.. try again with a supervisor.. u should get a new one..
    12-10-08 11:30 PM
    I would still go with a new unit. Surely the newer made units will have some of the kinks worked out. If not, then I would think about their replacement phones. That's just me. Good luck with whatever your decision is.
    12-10-08 11:31 PM
    I have NEVER heard of them giving you an option, they said that I could wait for one in store, or that I could be sent a new one... and I didn't have to wait for the new one to be sent, it was overnighted...
    12-10-08 11:54 PM
    I just ordered a replacement tonight because of debris under my screen. Brand new in original packaging with overnight shipping. It will be here friday

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-11-08 12:39 AM
    If RIM does in fact certify the replacement phone then I would definitely go that route over a new phone that may or may not be problem free. The problem most people seem to have is that the device technically is not new. Most of them fail to realize that factory reconditioned items typically suffer less issues because they under go additional inspection. Besides worst case scenario you could still send it back in the unlikely event you did have a problem.

12-11-08 12:43 AM
    If RIM does in fact certify the replacement phone then I would definitely go that route over a new phone that may or may not be problem free. The problem most people seem to have is that the device technically is not new. Most of them fail to realize that factory reconditioned items typically suffer less issues because they under go additional inspection. Besides worst case scenario you could still send it back in the unlikely event you did have a problem.

I'm going the replacement route.......worst case....in the event of problems with it, I will request a new one!
    12-11-08 12:48 AM
    Would explain why some people are getting their replacements in about 2 days while I had to wait till the 18th.......(shipping the 15th arriving by the 18th anyway)
    12-11-08 12:48 AM
    Yep. Not getting my new Storm until the 15th/16th according to VZW CS. We'll see if I get it by Xmas......
    12-11-08 12:55 AM
    My brand new replacement (in box and everything) comes tomorrow. I called in and requested it on Monday.

I think it all depends on who you talk to at Tech Support.
    12-11-08 12:59 AM
    You guys that bought the phone already should get your replacement phones before new orders ship. It's only fair. A CS rep is supposed to call me Friday with tracking info, or at least an update on my Storm's status.
    12-11-08 01:04 AM
    I ordered my replacement on the 1st and I just got it on tuesday.
    12-11-08 04:30 AM
    ordered a replacement through CS rep, not a tech, tech wanted to go thru too much software crap screw that, all the CS rep's ive talked to help me gladly
    12-11-08 04:53 AM
    Yes the replacements are certified. Honestly, they are as good as new. I haven't really heard of getting the option between new and refurb, but the refurb units are certified and as good as new.

12-11-08 05:29 AM
    anyone understand this? left memphis dec 10th a 846pm arrivated at memphis dec 11th 123am?

Dec 11, 2008 1:23 AM

Arrived at FedEx location

MEMPHIS, TN

Dec 10, 2008 8:46 PM

Left FedEx origin facility

MEMPHIS, TN

5:08 PM

Package data transmitted to FedEx

4:22 PM

Picked up

MEMPHIS, TN
    12-11-08 06:07 AM
    They are refurbs, there for RIM puts them through a bunch of check before they go out. So RIM does certify them as refurbished units
    12-11-08 06:57 AM
    The tech said the also directlly address the issues that alot of people have been returning the phone for............I wonder how they "address" them......
    12-11-08 07:06 AM
    sad times when people consider a refurbished product has a better chance at being perfect then new.
    12-11-08 07:07 AM
    It is annoying to immediately see that my replacement which came yesterday after days of waiting was labeled as hardware release 19502-002, instead of the most current and updated version 21009-002. I am returning it today. We have 2 Storms and after going through all the hours of dealing with issues of the one that is truly bad, Verizon gives me another one that is more likely to be the same...
    Last edited by auburn1975; 12-11-08 at 07:18 AM.
    12-11-08 07:12 AM
    sad times when people consider a refurbished product has a better chance at being perfect then new.

Well not exactly true. As with ALL new tech there are bound to be issues. To purchase a totally new product and expect no "issues" is a completely unrealistic expectation. I as well as my wife have had refurb units of different phones. My wife had 3 "new" voyagers before getting a refurb one. Never a day of problems with it. If you went to the store day one or even in the first month to grab a new storm and thought it was going to be perfect, well that would be your fault. New tech = bugs. Just a simple fact. No industry is immune.
    12-11-08 07:24 AM
    It's true RIM will send a device like that.

IE you buy a device from a shop 1 week later you don't want it.

RIM get's it back and wipes it loads a new OS and runs hardware/software test and if all is ok can be sent as a replacement.

I would still wait for the new 1 too.
    12-11-08 07:25 AM
    Well, by the looks of things the 'Send' button falling off is becoming a common issue. Mine ripped off as I was putting the Storm into the protective case/sleeve.This happened 48hrs into receiving the phone. It actually cracked and a piece is lodged under the screen! Slowly it looks like my 'Hang Up' button is going down the similar road. Very poor....
    12-11-08 07:35 AM
    Well refurbished phones actually get less of a return rate then new phones since with the refurbished models a person actually looks at it and fixes the problems but new ones are just stamped out on an assembly line

12-11-08 07:55 AM
    Well refurbished phones actually get less of a return rate then new phones since with the refurbished models a person actually looks at it and fixes the problems but new ones are just stamped out on an assembly line

No true. I had two refurbished Voyagers. The 1st refurb had a dead pixel (black dot..unlit). The 2nd refurb had stuck pixels (colored pixel but doesnt change color). I ended up just keeping the 2nd one because it wasnt really noticeable and I didnt want to take a chance and get something even worse.
    12-11-08 08:08 AM
    How are you going to say untrue? You have the stats to prove that referbs have a HIGHER return rate? Also....we are talking about the STORM here! I would Trust Rim certifying a device over LG!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    12-11-08 10:41 AM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD