Hey guys, this is probably my 2nd post since joining Crackberry Forums...I'm also a 1st time BB user...I love my storm...but the question I have goes out to the individuals who have received replacement phones. I'm receiving mine tomorrow...now the question is if I do receive the brown box...how will I know if it's a refurb phone...and how can I tell the date the phone was made? Because on the retail boxes the sticker tells you everything...please share your insight with me
    01-05-09 12:00 AM
    As far as I know, the brown boxes are new phones, not refurbished. It should come without any accessories as well, so all you need to do is send back your old storm.
    01-05-09 12:06 AM
    I'm aware of sending my original phone back...but is there anyway to see or find out the date the phone that's coming in the brown box was made? Because my original storm was made in Canada and was manufactured 11/12/08....will the brown box supply this information as well?
    01-05-09 12:09 AM
    I don't think they have refurbs available yet. Whether it comes in a brown box or retail box the phone should be new. Not sure you can tell the production date aside from the retail box.
    I got a replacement and can see the "Made in Mexico" sticker behind the battery under the RIM sticker w/ phone info, but no production date. Mine came in a full retail box, even though I was told it would come in a brown box w/ just the phone.
    As long as the phone works properly who cares when or where it was made.
    01-05-09 12:13 AM
    True you do have a point...as long as it works better is what we hope for the best. Thanks for your input guys and it's much appreciated...and this forum is great!! Hopefully I'll have much to share with everyone. I have another question. I was playing around with a friend's storm and noticed her screen was easier to press down on than mine. Is it because they maybe RIM modified the screen to be easier to click now? What did you guys notice different on your replacements?
    01-05-09 12:17 AM
    My "brown box" replacement was a refurb phone. It had grubby fingerprints all over the screen... It came with a referb SKU code.... It came with a "Certified Like New" pamphlet in the box. Don't let anyone tell you these are not refurbs!!!!
    01-05-09 12:49 AM
    I don't think they have refurbs available yet. Whether it comes in a brown box or retail box the phone should be new. Not sure you can tell the production date aside from the retail box.
    I got a replacement and can see the "Made in Mexico" sticker behind the battery under the RIM sticker w/ phone info, but no production date. Mine came in a full retail box, even though I was told it would come in a brown box w/ just the phone.
    As long as the phone works properly who cares when or where it was made.
    Yes, there are refurbs, I got one as a replacement. It come in a white box marked 'Like New' with a 'Like New' sticker on the screen.

I sent it back, nothing really wrong with it other than a few really minor scratches and smudges. I was supposed to get a new one and now I have one.
    Last edited by EdwardK; 01-05-09 at 01:17 AM.
    01-05-09 01:14 AM
    I was grossly misinformed by both VZW & RIM then, as both told me refurbs do not exist yet when I replaced my phone 12/19/08. My apologies guys and gals.

My replacement came with a refurb sku & the pamphlet for refurbs devices as well, however the device was new

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 01:27 AM
    I work as a tech at a VZW retail store. There are no refurbs available. In my experience, we have only ever received new devices from RIM for replacement in the store. None of the ones in my replacement cabinet have refurb stickers on them, though they do come in CLNR boxes.
    The only ones we ever have regularly are silver pearls and 8830s.
    01-05-09 02:08 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD