I read the post about customizing the two BlackBerry drive icons that appear in My Computer, but this was weird. I am going to attach a screen shot of the new icon that shows up. On my old Storm, I got the standard BlackBerry1 and 2 icons with a drive letter assigned to each. Now, it comes up as a mobile device icon with no drive letter assigned. Instead, you open the "BlackBerry 9530" icon, and there are 2 drives - Device Memory and Media Card. When I open my Media Card drive, it shows only one folder - Music. None of the other folders that were there before are there now. I thought maybe they got deleted somehow, but when I go into my Media icon on my new Storm, all of my Videos, Ringtones, Pictures, Voice Recordings, and Music files are there. (Just checked again under the new Media Card drive in My Computer, and the files are not showing up - I even made sure they weren't hidden, as I went to Tools, Folder Options, View, Show Hidden Files.)

Has anyone else encountered this?

Here's what I did to transfer from the old Storm to the new one: I tried using the Device Switch Wizard in DM, but got a fatal error everytime. Taking Crucial_Xtreme's advice, I rebooted the PC, cleared the cache on my Storm, and did a battery pull. I even re-installed DM. Still getting fatal error! Anyway, I decided to just use my back-up and install the 3rd party apps later. I plugged in my new Storm, let DM change default devices (new PIN), then loaded my back-up. My .75 from the factory was then changed to the .85 I had in my back-up. I went through the Application Loader to enable/disable any Apps I wanted or didn't want. Since I am on BES, I had to do my Enterprise Activation. This went through with no problems.

P.S. My first Storm was good, with the exception of a screen click issue. This Storm might just be "perfect!"

01-08-09 09:37 AM
    Yeah, Ive had this same issue as well. You have to have to the blackberry device manager turned on for the computer to recognise the phone and media card as two separate drives. You will also need to ensure that the mass storage option is enabled.
    01-08-09 09:42 AM
    bump? anyone know why i can't view the files on my media card in windows explorer? thx!
    01-09-09 08:40 PM
    bump? anyone know why i can't view the files on my media card in windows explorer? thx!
    I had the same problem. I fixed it by making sure 'Mass Storage Mode Support' AND 'Auto Enable Mass Storgage Mode When Connected' were enabled.

HTH.
    01-09-09 08:51 PM
    I had the same problem. I fixed it by making sure 'Mass Storage Mode Support' AND 'Auto Enable Mass Storgage Mode When Connected' were enabled.

HTH.
    I wouldnt classify this as a problem guys. When you dont enable mass storage your computer can still recognise the bb as a USB device that is why you get the generic BB icon with the model number instead of the HDD icons with mass storage enabled.
    01-09-09 08:55 PM
    I agree.... usually it is OK to leave the mass storage device set to AUTO, however I encountered a problem with one of my programs that wanted to store data files on the removable media card. If the mass storage to AUTO was enabled the program saw the media card as completely full. I had to set it back to OFF only long enough to allow the program to load the files onto the media card... and then it was OK to set it back to AUTO.
    01-10-09 01:06 AM
    I wouldnt classify this as a problem guys. When you dont enable mass storage your computer can still recognise the bb as a USB device that is why you get the generic BB icon with the model number instead of the HDD icons with mass storage enabled.
    To clarify...With mass storage mode enabled, I see the BB as a phone device, not HDD icons. If I double click on the phone, I see both drives but don't see any of the subfolders.

Only when I set 'Auto Enable Mass Storgage Mode When Connected' do I get to see both the drives in explorer and can browse the subfolders.

Shouldn't it only be necessary to have mass storage mode enabled to see the storage as HDD icons?
    01-10-09 08:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD