So i am getting a replacement phone today since I appear to have the click issue. The corner takes a good amount of effort to push before the click happens. I called verizon and the tech seemed to think it needed a hard reboot to fix the issue and i finally got him to send it to me. He seemed to think it was an odd issue and i was still pretty pleasent to him but was holding back especially since i have read many threads about click issues. Anyway to get to my question.

When i do get my replacement what should i be looking for as far as a build date, where can i find that info? Hopefully my phone has a better response to it cause i dont like having to jam a business card back there anymore.
    01-14-09 09:16 AM
    How about open the box up. Make sure if clicks and the display works well. Then enjoy your Storm. It's a great Device. IMHO one of the best cell phone ever!
    01-14-09 09:21 AM
    Shatiek... I am off to the store in like 15 mins to get mine... i keep hearing test the corners.. for someone who never used one is there a quick easy way to tell if the corners are ok or not?
    01-14-09 09:24 AM
    Click the corners of the screen and see if they click. Usually the bottom left corner doesnt click. Thats where the problem usually is.
    01-14-09 09:26 AM
    Why does all the VW reps think that a reboot fixes a hardware issue like the click screen problem, they asked me the same thing.
    01-14-09 09:32 AM
    So i am getting a replacement phone today since I appear to have the click issue. The corner takes a good amount of effort to push before the click happens. I called verizon and the tech seemed to think it needed a hard reboot to fix the issue and i finally got him to send it to me. He seemed to think it was an odd issue and i was still pretty pleasent to him but was holding back especially since i have read many threads about click issues. Anyway to get to my question.

When i do get my replacement what should i be looking for as far as a build date, where can i find that info? Hopefully my phone has a better response to it cause i dont like having to jam a business card back there anymore.
    build date is on side of box on white sticker
    01-14-09 10:23 AM
    open the box. Inspect it carefully.

You should look for:
    A straight screen
    Quality of click all over touch-screen
    Quality of fixed buttons across the bottom
    Minimal screen movement
    Tight battery door cover

Then put the battery in and wait for the boot-up:

Check the screen for color and pixels
    Go to Options Page (white screen) and see if it is white or yellow/tan. There may have been a screen update that others had an issue with. Some people like the softer/warmer look of the yellowish screen.
    01-14-09 10:41 AM
    I went to the Verizon store yesterday and received a brand new device. Build date is: 1/6/09 and it was Made in Canada. This is a much better built device than my original phone I received for Xmas. The buttons are firmer and more responsive, the screen does not wobble a lot and the screen clicks perfectly. I hope you receive one from the same batch.
    01-14-09 10:45 AM
    my biggest "soft spot" on the screen is the upper left seems more of a squish than a click. Looks like the replacement arrives tomorrow. I will see what happens. I have to say that i love the phone, still would prefer a bold but i would also prefer at&t wasn't craptastic. Anyway i will report back what i end up with.
    01-14-09 02:40 PM
    i got a new one today and the click was TERRIBLE. Did the torx screw fix and now it works great. Screws were definitely way too tight.
    01-14-09 02:58 PM
    Thats exactly what i want to avoid doing, the phone should work correctly right out of the box without question.
    01-14-09 03:00 PM
    Thats exactly what i want to avoid doing, the phone should work correctly right out of the box without question.
    Nothing is perfect in this world...neither are humans or you.
    01-14-09 03:12 PM
    well while that is absolutely true i never said it had to be perfect. I want the phone to have the one feature, that i like about this phone above other touch screen devices, to work well. Not perfectly just well.. Not too much to ask at all.
    01-14-09 03:18 PM
    My replacement was worse than my origional. My origional is made in mexico and the replacement was made in canada. Im sending back the refurbished unit. I'll try again in a few months.
    01-16-09 07:47 AM
    Why does all the VW reps think that a reboot fixes a hardware issue like the click screen problem, they asked me the same thing.
    It's a procedural checklist they have to go through for documentation. I went through the same thing. First a soft reboot, and then a complete wipe. I know it's a mechanical issue, but they still have to go through the loops since it's part of their job to go through all the troubleshoot before handing over a new phone.

I did mine over the phone at a kiosk center. I don't care too much about the procedure (because I know it's mechanical failure), but I also have to understand their POV as well.
    01-16-09 08:08 AM
    It's a procedural checklist they have to go through for documentation. I went through the same thing. First a soft reboot, and then a complete wipe. I know it's a mechanical issue, but they still have to go through the loops since it's part of their job to go through all the troubleshoot before handing over a new phone.

I did mine over the phone at a kiosk center. I don't care too much about the procedure (because I know it's mechanical failure), but I also have to understand their POV as well.
    I can verify this info. I have had long conversations with VZW tech support about the Storm as I had the click issue on my first model. VZW Tech are required to go thru certain steps before they are allowed to order you a replacement, including a device wipe (make sure you backup before you call). They will stay with you on the phone as you follow their steps and when it still don't work, they WILL order you the replacement. I found the VZW techs (not the store and not the CS reps) to be very accommodating, you just gotta let then follow the proceedure.
    01-16-09 08:17 AM
    Of the 3-4 times that I requested a replacement, not once did they ask me to do all that.
    01-16-09 08:30 AM
    I dont mind going through the steps because at one time i was doing phone support and i understand its not up to them what i have to do. The one thing that annoyed me a little bit though was him saying that he had not heard of this issue. I can't believe that at all judging by the number of people i have seen on this site complain about the clicking issues.
    01-16-09 09:53 AM
    i got a replacement that is also worse than my original. (Original purchased on release date, made in Candada, replacement came from Mexico).

My replacement has this problem: Screen flicker, then jet black screen freeze. I have to do a battery pull to get anything back on the screen. Terrible. Also, the click isnt much better. The space bar in suretype hardly clicks.

I am starting to hate this phone... that new palm looks rad.
    01-16-09 10:18 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD