My storm has been good to me for the month that I have had it, but a problem has just come up. Near the bottom of the screen near the menu and return keys it does not want to be pressed in. I tempererally fixed this with some paper behind the battery but I don't know how long this will last.

What I want to know is if I should return it to Verizon and get a new one, but here lies another problem. I have read that there are just as many problems with the updated hardware (if not more).

So should I return my slightly stubborn screen for a newer one that could have twice as many problems?
    02-15-09 03:02 AM
    it's a complete coin toss... lol everyones gonna tell you different things, so really, you just have to weigh the risk vs how much you want a new one. basically, magic 8 ball says maybe
    02-15-09 03:08 AM
    My storm has been good to me for the month that I have had it, but a problem has just come up. Near the bottom of the screen near the menu and return keys it does not want to be pressed in. I tempererally fixed this with some paper behind the battery but I don't know how long this will last.

What I want to know is if I should return it to Verizon and get a new one, but here lies another problem. I have read that there are just as many problems with the updated hardware (if not more).

So should I return my slightly stubborn screen for a newer one that could have twice as many problems?
    Try the T6-torx screw fix before replacing.
    02-15-09 06:44 AM
    Try the T6-torx screw fix before replacing.
    Will this void my warranty?
    02-15-09 12:28 PM
    Will this void my warranty?
    not if you do it right.
    02-15-09 12:42 PM
    Interesting...the exact problem happened to my storm this morning. I tried the torx screw fix but after fooling with it for an hour or so I used the credit card trick. This helped a bit but I decided to call verizon and I have a "new" phone on the way monday. I really didn't want to do this because the phone worked pretty well until today. I even wiped .99 and went back to .75 but no joy. I've had the phone since November.
    02-15-09 12:42 PM

I just got my storm last monday and I have a friend that has had his since release day. We can't tell any difference other then mine runs a lil smoother and the click is a little better. So I would get a new one mine was made jan 09 in mexico. Granted this is my second one my first was made in canada and had a problem with random reboots.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 12:43 PM
    If you can't fix it and can't stand the phone the way it is might as well replace.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 12:52 PM
    You should replace it, and you should keep on doing so until you have working hardware. There is no reason to pay $200 for this phone, and have to fix the touch screen or modify its hardware for mere normal functions.

It took 4 exchanges for me to get "the Perfect Storm" but it was worth it, I have the occassional reboots but other than that there is NO complaints.
    02-15-09 02:16 PM
    Im thinking about calling and getting a new one. I know there are random reboots but sometimes I get them like 3 times a day. And my storm freezes up on me a lot. . What is the number people call to do this?
    02-15-09 02:20 PM
    Give the "felt pad" trick a try. Picked 'em up for 88 cents at Walmart and I absolutely can't believe the difference it made. The screen click is completely even all the way around now, and I can type much faster too. Worth a shot!

See this thread for details:
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f135/pe...oblems-125406/
    02-15-09 02:51 PM
    I just came across this thread right after getting off the phone with Verizon tech support.

I've done the T6 screw technique, business card trick and I've even tried the "felt pad" trick. Unfortunately, that specific area of the touchscreen right next to where the hard keys are located still won't click.

Verizon will be sending me a replacement with a brand new device. Thank god they're not sending me a refurb.

You should get a replacement as well.
    02-15-09 03:52 PM
    Interesting...the exact problem happened to my storm this morning. I tried the torx screw fix but after fooling with it for an hour or so I used the credit card trick. This helped a bit but I decided to call verizon and I have a "new" phone on the way monday. I really didn't want to do this because the phone worked pretty well until today. I even wiped .99 and went back to .75 but no joy. I've had the phone since November.
    IF you are within your 30 days, sure I'll agree to that.
    IF, however you are outside of those 30 days you won't be getting a *new* phone.
    02-15-09 04:03 PM
    You should replace it, and you should keep on doing so until you have working hardware. There is no reason to pay $200 for this phone, and have to fix the touch screen or modify its hardware for mere normal functions.

It took 4 exchanges for me to get "the Perfect Storm" but it was worth it, I have the occassional reboots but other than that there is NO complaints.
    4 exchanges????

It took me one exchange, outside my 30days no less and the Storm I have now works absolutely perfect. No lag on the screen, and my texts go through without any errors or lag. No light bleed, and battery life is about 2 days, not to mention the signal is perfect, my garmin mobile AND gps works the moment I turn on the app!

I can't believe there are so many problems with this phone.
    I think the factories aren't loading the software/OS properly.
    02-15-09 04:07 PM
    sdo, all going to get a brand new phone, are you sure.
    Also wouldnt it best having the refurb phone that way you know its been QCed and had the latest software put on. allegedly
    02-15-09 06:22 PM
    4 exchanges????

It took me one exchange, outside my 30days no less and the Storm I have now works absolutely perfect. No lag on the screen, and my texts go through without any errors or lag. No light bleed, and battery life is about 2 days, not to mention the signal is perfect, my garmin mobile AND gps works the moment I turn on the app!

I can't believe there are so many problems with this phone.
    I think the factories aren't loading the software/OS properly.
    The second one was ok, however BSE install gone bad rendered it useless.

The fourth one is the charm though, running strong with minimal hiccups here and there, and the click is 100%.
    02-17-09 06:52 AM
    To the OP -
    I had the same problem up until 5 minutes ago. I went and bought a #6 torque head, lifted the sticker off (under the battery compartment area), and loosened the screw. I also loosened the other screw across from it just a bit, and my storm clicks beatifully now!
    Last edited by djack419; 02-27-09 at 02:25 PM.
    02-27-09 02:23 PM
    I vote for a replacement. You have 10 days to return the old one, so test the new one for a week. If it's worse, call them up again, tell them you're sending the new one back cause it's worse, and to send another. Rinse and repeat. Worst case is they tell you no, and you have the one you started with. Best case is, they send you the perfect phone and you're set.
    02-27-09 02:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD