Hi, I bought the black bezel to replace the chrome one. I know I do not have to disassemble the whole unit as it seems the bezel pops off (and disconnect the antenna) after popping out the bottom and top plastic piece. Is that Correct.

I watched the videos but the all take the storm completely apart.

Can anyone tell me step by step how to just remove the bezel?

Thanks.
    06-06-09 10:33 AM

watch the video its a step by step
    06-06-09 11:07 AM
    I gave the video a quick look and it doesn't answer your question completely.

But I noticed that it looks like you have to remove the antenna and the 2 gold connectors (if the screen doesn't come out with it too).

However there are things inside the bezel which I do not know how to remove and place into a new one...yet!

Hopefully someone will share removing the components e.g. speaker etc into a new bezel.
    06-06-09 11:13 AM
    I am interested as well. My bezel is beat up and I am hoping to replace it. But I have heard nightmares about trying to get glued in connectors and parts removed. I hope there is an easier way.
    06-06-09 02:27 PM
    =NasaRacer;2746392]I am interested as well. My bezel is beat up and I am hoping to replace it. But I have heard nightmares about trying to get glued in connectors and parts removed. I hope there is an easier way.[/QUOTE]

Like wise for me I want the black bezel instead of the chrome one.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-06-09 05:04 PM
    06-06-09 06:40 PM
    I think he means the Storm
    06-06-09 07:10 PM
    i just ordered a black bezel also.

anyone gotten any further?

another option would be sanding away all the chrome paint from the original bezel. anyone want to give it a try?
    06-09-09 07:31 PM
    i hope some one figures it out before i get mine i just ordered sat. i didnt even think about the speaker when i saw the video hope this isnt a big deal it looked easy on the video i even bought the litle blue tools just to help with the install
    06-09-09 07:50 PM
    I am afraid I have disappointing news. The bezel is easy to swap out; its the top buttons, earpiece, hard buttons, etc. That are hard to remove from the old bezel and put on the new one.

I also ordered the black bezel because I thought it would make the storm look sharp.... And the so called "chrome" bezel is merely painted and its rubbing off with use.

The ribbon cables and TINY parts intimidated me into giving up once I took the storm apart and saw what I was in for.

06-09-09 09:16 PM
    I am afraid I have disappointing news. The bezel is easy to swap out; its the top buttons, earpiece, hard buttons, etc. That are hard to remove from the old bezel and put on the new one.

I also ordered the black bezel because I thought it would make the storm look sharp.... And the so called "chrome" bezel is merely painted and its rubbing off with use.

The ribbon cables and TINY parts intimidated me into giving up once I took the storm apart and saw what I was in for.

so did you do change it out or not????
    06-09-09 09:23 PM

That is disappointing. I think once I get mine I'll open it up and take a look.

Maybe soon someone will start selling a bezel with the hard to remove parts included and attached. It would probably be more expensive but a lot simpler.

06-09-09 11:31 PM
    That is disappointing. I think once I get mine I'll open it up and take a look.

Maybe soon someone will start selling a bezel with the hard to remove parts included and attached. It would probably be more expensive but a lot simpler.

This is what someone needs to do. It's almost impossible to remove the parts from the old Bezel so they can be transferred. I broke the mute button cable on both of my Storms and never figured out how to safely remove the other small parts either. I've replaced several different parts on the Storms...display, mid plate(which requires transferring the camera), hard keys..., but the bezel won when I attempted it...twice.

As for your earlier question about sanding the chrome off, it's possible, but that isht is pretty thick and there's not much plastic left by the time you get it off to the point it's no longer seen. It's also very hard to get the finish nice and smooth with no flat spots or the like. The good news is that you can then get a case (I got the Incipio Feather) to cover it up and you don't have to worry about scratching the finish while installing and removing the case...lol! Plus there is no silver showing at the edge of the case!
    06-09-09 11:42 PM
    This is what someone needs to do. It's almost impossible to remove the parts from the old Bezel so they can be transferred. I broke the mute button cable on both of my Storms and never figured out how to safely remove the other small parts either. I've replaced several different parts on the Storms...display, mid plate(which requires transferring the camera), hard keys..., but the bezel won when I attempted it...twice.

As for your earlier question about sanding the chrome off, it's possible, but that isht is pretty thick and there's not much plastic left by the time you get it off to the point it's no longer seen. It's also very hard to get the finish nice and smooth with no flat spots or the like. The good news is that you can then get a case (I got the Incipio Feather) to cover it up and you don't have to worry about scratching the finish while installing and removing the case...lol! Plus there is no silver showing at the edge of the case!
    Hmm. Yeah too bad it's so difficult. Maybe someday they will start to sell the complete set.

Thanks for posting all of that, it's pretty informative. I guess I might end up getting a case.
    06-10-09 10:24 AM
    It is a shame. RIM designed a nice bezel to cover all the edges of the phone to keep the screen and buttons from getting scratched and dinged up. Just too bad they didn't make the bezel a simple easy to replace part.
    06-10-09 02:12 PM
    It is a shame. RIM designed a nice bezel to cover all the edges of the phone to keep the screen and buttons from getting scratched and dinged up. Just too bad they didn't make the bezel a simple easy to replace part.
    It's too bad about lots of things with this phone...
    dust
    battery
    click
    I'll stop
    06-10-09 02:17 PM
    i also give up they plastic welded the ribbons on so you would have to cut the welds off and then the ribbon on the back of the ear section is glued to the black piece so youll probley end up breaking that ribbon if your not careful if it wasnt for all that i would have done it just not that daring yet maybe in a year when my update is ready lol owell 40 bucks down the drain anyone want to buy some black parts for there storm ?
    06-16-09 11:02 PM
    Hey red do you have any pics of this - the welded ribbons you are talking about
    06-16-09 11:16 PM
    Hey red do you have any pics of this - the welded ribbons you are talking about
    no i should have taking some the ribbons arent welded the plastic that holds them on is it looks like a pin and the ribbon goes around it then they melt the pin flat to hold the ribbon on im pretty gutsy i will try anything once i even tried to take a ipod apart one time but this one i wont try i realy wanted to also because the top of my phone is scratched i put it in the glovebox of my boat and went for a ride down the river baaaaaddddd idea
    06-16-09 11:32 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD