on my last thread about call reception on the storm somebody mentioned this. I tried it, made a few calls and I am noticing a small improvement, at least at my home so far.

is this in my head? or would this actually have an effect?
    12-17-08 11:12 PM
    Its in your head. If you want to help something go to options > Mobile network then change Netowrk Technology to 1XEV.
    12-17-08 11:14 PM
    Did you also go to options>mobile network> and set the network technology to 1XEV?
    A battery pull and a *228 gets everything set right
    12-17-08 11:16 PM
    i've had it on 1xev only since I got the phone anyway. But now I have the simcard pulled. After simcard pull you suggest a *228?
    12-17-08 11:20 PM
    i've had it on 1xev only since I got the phone anyway. But now I have the simcard pulled. After simcard pull you suggest a *228?
    Battery pull, then a *228.
    12-17-08 11:21 PM
    now whats the theory behind the simcard removal that switching to 1xev only doesn't do on its own?
    12-17-08 11:28 PM
    now whats the theory behind the simcard removal that switching to 1xev only doesn't do on its own?
    my theory about this "theory" is that since the phone is dual gsm/cdma, it will be seaching for both networks. But if you are in the domestic US, there really is no need to do this. 1xev will keep the phone solely on vzw network. Thus improving reception. I just noticed I don't get as many bars as I used to on my curve. I will try this set up and see how it effect my proformance.
    12-17-08 11:44 PM
    okay, switched the setting to 1xev, did battery pull, and *228... Call me crazy, but it help! Its not a night and day difference but there is noticable improvement. Also, my signal strength before would always stay around 2-3 bars, now I get full strength (all 5 bars). Just placed a called and the audio was improved as well. Like I said, this isn't night & day, but its a start!
    12-18-08 12:28 AM
    Gonna give this a try. I hope it works.
    12-18-08 12:55 AM
    Gonna give this a try. I hope it works.
    So how did it go?
    12-18-08 01:16 AM
    I randomly came upon this thread. But changing those settings made a huge difference for me! Either it's really late at night or else I see at least a 10%-20% time difference and like a 100% time difference when it comes to requesting a page..I hope more people know about this tip. It really feels like "3g" speeds now.
    12-18-08 03:53 AM
    Btw, Big sites like crackberry.com (cough cough) still take long but much much faster then it was before. Smaller sites like kotaku.com or engadget.com (mobile) load up in a flash.
    12-18-08 04:27 AM
    I am in the Uk so on vodafone but get really poor reception despite my other vodafone phone getting a full reception.

So set network to 3G
    Pull battery and remove Sim card
    Putt battery back in (leave sim card out?)
    Switch on and dial *228

Am I correct?
    12-18-08 04:31 AM
    I have signal issues at home, so i just set my phone to 1XEV and when i get home if i notice a difference in signal then that will be awesome.. so i'll repost when i have a chance to check it.
    12-18-08 04:52 AM
    I am in the Uk so on vodafone but get really poor reception despite my other vodafone phone getting a full reception.

So set network to 3G
    Switch on and dial *228

Am I correct?
    If you're in the UK, you have to keep your sim card in. If you remove it, your phone won't work at all.

Removing the sim card is only for NA Storm owners on CDMA networks.

Sorry.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-18-08 06:37 AM
    I removed my sim card just because I wanted my phone to stop asking me which network to use every time I restarted it. I haven't noticed if it made any difference in reception, but the reception on my phone has been pretty good from day one, anyway.

I do know that my wife's Storm seems to not get a good signal in places where her RAZR used to (the middle of some large stores, for example). In most cases, I haven't had the chance to try mine where her's struggles and her old phone worked OK, so I don't know if it's the Storm in general or just her phone.

I don't see how removing the sim card would help with CDMA reception, unless the card somehow attenuates the signal due to its placement in relationship to the radio antenna, but that seems like a big stretch. Still, maybe I'll give it a try on my wife's phone and see if it matters any.

-SR-

PS: I've already done *228 on both of our phones a few times.
    12-18-08 06:58 AM
    not sure if this goes with the thread...how do you shut off the little circle with the cross in it...can't remember what it's called...some location services thing? I'm using an unlocked storm on a gsm network...anything to do like what some have done here for reception?
    12-18-08 08:00 AM
    Might sound like a silly question, but how do you get that sim card out? I don't see how to grab a hold of it. Does that silver cover pop off?
    12-18-08 08:03 AM
    Might sound like a silly question, but how do you get that sim card out? I don't see how to grab a hold of it. Does that silver cover pop off?
    Use a pencil eraser on the spot of the SIM card that you can see (where the Verizon "check" is) and push it up toward the EMPTY battery compartment. It comes right out.
    12-18-08 08:09 AM
    By the way, once you pull the SIM card, I thought it was funny that it says Vodafone on it right under Verizon.

It's the small things that excite me......
    12-18-08 08:12 AM
    I gave the change in settings a try and it did improve my coverage by about 1 bar. THANKS
    12-18-08 08:16 AM

So set network to 3G
    Switch on and dial *228

Am I correct?
    Unfortunately this is just for US folk.
    Sorry Haggis.
    12-18-08 08:19 AM
    What option guys.... *228 1 or 2

Thanks
    12-18-08 08:20 AM
    What option guys.... *228 1 or 2

Thanks
    I always use 1 or 99. You can just dial *22899 and hit dial, this goes straight to programming.

not sure if this goes with the thread...how do you shut off the little circle with the cross in it...can't remember what it's called...some location services thing? I'm using an unlocked storm on a gsm network...anything to do like what some have done here for reception?
    That's gps. options>advanced options>gps, the circle means you have it turned on, to get rid of the circles switch it to 911, but I a couple apps like weatherbug won't work right, so it's probably best to leave it on..
    12-18-08 08:26 AM
    Seemed to work
    Pulled sim card
    batt pull
    4 to 5 bars
    It does make sense that
    if you are only going to be in the
    US to set it as you said
    with the 1xev
    Hey when I decide to hope on my private
    jet and head over to Europe
    I'll will put sim card in and change setting back