This is from my company's IT group that works very closely with Verizon and RIM. We have close to or more than 250,000 Blackberry users, so there is a good relationship between us and RIM/Verizon. Figured you might be interested in knowing some of the process of the updates. The IT group has also sent a huge list of known issues to RIM for implementation of new features of fixing current problems. I'll post that list below the email below
    ================
    "We met with Verizon yesterday. The first code drop that they will be testing is 4.7.0.90. They have not tested other versions. RIM supplies Verizon with the code and then Verizon tests for 6 weeks. Current official release from Verizon is scheduled for mid-March. Verizon calls the releases "MR0" (.65), "MR1" (.75), and they are currently working on "MR2".

Verizon has agreed to supply [my company] with the "beta" MR2 code one week after they receive it for installation on a "limited" number of devices.

RIM and Verizon (and US IT) suggest remaining on .75 (and tolerating the reboots), until they release their official version.

RIM notified us that .99 has MANY bugs and no one should install that version.

RIM and Verizon have both been on-site this week working with US IT on the reboot issues, capturing logs, and providing information back to RIM and Verizon on the issues."
    =========
    US IT has reported the following issues to RIM and Verizon regarding the STORM. I will keep this updated as we report more problems.

Reboot Issues - Device reboots several times per day. - ANSWER - This will be fixed in next official release - Mid March
    When calling a Blackberry Storm (maybe all Verizon phones), the originating phone rings twice before the Verizon device rings. Also, the time between rings seems to be excessive on the Storm. Many people complain the phone only rings 2 times before going to voice mail.
    Sound Profiles cannot be customized - you must create a new profile if you want to customize it - ANSWER - This is working as designed and all new Blackberry Devices with handheld code 4.7 and higher will work this way. (We continue to escalate.)
    In Portrait mode, the max number of icon rows on the home screen is 3. We have asked for an update to the Theme to allow all icons to show by default without pressing the Blackberry key.
    When you take the phone out of the holster, it can take 1-3 seconds for the time to update to the correct time. (It shows the time the device was locked).
    We have requested an option/feature to LOCK the password screen and home screen in either Portrait or Landscape mode. There is no reason for the screen to rotate on the password screen or home screen. User's should be able to "Freeze" these screens in either Portrait, Landscape, or Auto.
    02-19-09 01:49 PM
    I hope after all this waiting they're aren't really planning on releasing .90 as the next official version. If so, that sucks! It was the worst version for me except for .103 which had even more reboots. I'll stick with my hybrid if this is the case.
    02-19-09 02:10 PM
    I hope after all this waiting they're aren't really planning on releasing .90 as the next official version. If so, that sucks! It was the worst version for me except for .103 which had even more reboots. I'll stick with my hybrid if this is the case.
    Sounds like that's just the latest one going to VZW for further testing if that email is accurate. It'll probably get rejected because I don't know that many people have had success with it.
    02-19-09 02:14 PM
    the issue with showing all apps w/o having to hit BB button is theme based. on my curve there was a separate theme that had "all apps" as the home screen. there is nowhere to go from there, that is it. the theme you have now is called "zen" unless you have downloaded another. the theme is designed to clear home screen space, more streamlined look, and grapically appealing due to wallpaper showing without being covered by app icons. when offical plazmic comes out there will be more themes. the "beta" ones aren't too bad. just find a person to make one for ya.
    02-19-09 02:17 PM
    how can they say that 99 has more bugs than 90. They must have got a super version of 90 that wasnt leaked. Just my 2 cents.
    02-19-09 02:19 PM
    how can they say that 99 has more bugs than 90. They must have got a super version of 90 that wasnt leaked. Just my 2 cents.
    there is no way to know that what you experienced is specifically OS based or attributed to something specific with your device. when they test the OS they do it in a scientific process. there is a set running process that they test with particular apps for "compatibility" reasons, and they do them one at a time, then in different configurations, and all at once, etc. they do not just give the beta OS out to people to use and see what happens. your particular setup (i.e. 3rd party apps, media use, etc) can impact user experience greatly. that is why people keep saying that "your not qualified to be a beta tester" is a legitimate arguement.
    02-19-09 02:23 PM
    Sounds like that's just the latest one going to VZW for further testing if that email is accurate. It'll probably get rejected because I don't know that many people have had success with it.
    It wasn't an e-mail, we actually have our own Blackberry forum on our intranet, and this information was posted by one of the managers in our IT department that deal with RIM and Verizon.
    02-19-09 04:30 PM
    6 weeks to test? We know if it's good or bad within an hour of a leak.
    02-19-09 04:55 PM
    Yout info is appreciated... Thank you for sharing..

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 04:56 PM
    .90 is working great for me but come on verizon ive waited months i want something great! the storm seems to never stop letting me down
    02-19-09 06:28 PM
    lol, I suggest your IT department do a Google search to find a much higher version then .90 if they want to test a better OS. lol! If this is serious, I can't honestly believe those people are spending all that money and energy on testing something that's gotten a pretty broad test from everyone on here. Sure, it's not as controlled, but when you read multiple reports of reboots, slow response, etc. it doesn't take a genius to realize that you need to fix a few things. Not only that, but I'm sure the inhouse RIM testers would find a lot of these issues themselves.

No offense to you or your company, but I think whomever is in charge of your "close" relationship to RIM/Verizon, is just "making you feel special", because they sure as heck are not doing you a collective favor letting you test .90 in such a large (250k users) environment. If they wanted to have you test something this late in the game, they would have given you something newer. Heck, even .103 is a couple of weeks old now. .90 has a January 19 datestamp... that's pretty old in this respect.
    02-19-09 08:35 PM
    lol, I suggest your IT department do a Google search to find a much higher version then .90 if they want to test a better OS. lol! If this is serious, I can't honestly believe those people are spending all that money and energy on testing something that's gotten a pretty broad test from everyone on here. Sure, it's not as controlled, but when you read multiple reports of reboots, slow response, etc. it doesn't take a genius to realize that you need to fix a few things. Not only that, but I'm sure the inhouse RIM testers would find a lot of these issues themselves.

No offense to you or your company, but I think whomever is in charge of your "close" relationship to RIM/Verizon, is just "making you feel special", because they sure as heck are not doing you a collective favor letting you test .90 in such a large (250k users) environment. If they wanted to have you test something this late in the game, they would have given you something newer. Heck, even .103 is a couple of weeks old now. .90 has a January 19 datestamp... that's pretty old in this respect.
    You misread the post. VERIZON is testing .90, not my company. You need to re-read the post, and you will see that Verizon is just now starting with testing .90 as of when the post was written.

And the latest we've received is my company is to get BETA version of the next official release for up to 10- user's by March 15th. Public release late March, early April.
    02-25-09 12:51 PM
    You misread the post. VERIZON is testing .90, not my company. You need to re-read the post, and you will see that Verizon is just now starting with testing .90 as of when the post was written.

And the latest we've received is my company is to get BETA version of the next official release for up to 10- user's by March 15th. Public release late March, early April.
    i hope to god verizon isnt still testing .90 if thats the case, we really are in for a long long bumpy road.
    02-25-09 01:24 PM
    or they worked with .90 eliminating bugs. it is likely going to be a better version than the one leaked.
    02-25-09 01:38 PM
    Question: Why do we care what the official version is, anyway? We're all running whatever OS version we want, and not relying on VZW to test it for us. Who cares if the sheeple want to run .9, or downgrade to .5 for all I care.

My storm keeps getting better and better. Now that the software has caught up to the hardware, and more and more goodies are coming out every week, I couldn't be happier.
    02-25-09 01:46 PM
    or they worked with .90 eliminating bugs. it is likely going to be a better version than the one leaked.
    We can only hope....

HH
    02-25-09 01:47 PM
    i loved .90 it ran the best of any for me beside .109 that im currently running but im sure that rim has .90 to use but they arent going to officially release the BETA leaked version we all have tried out so why are people upset that the next OFFICIAL release is going to be .90. remember how long ago it was when we all got our hands on .90 here on CB. it has been a while. so im sure if RIM releases .90 in mid-march then with all the time from when .90 first leaked to us and mid-march Rim will surely have fixed and created a MUCH more stable code out of the .90.

that is if the original post for this thread was even true......
    02-25-09 01:54 PM
    Pure opinion, but I don't think we'll see anything other then just more leak(s) in March.
    02-25-09 01:58 PM
    What else do we have to do except guess about the next update.
    02-25-09 02:17 PM
    all we can do is wait for the official OS and see what it does regardless of the .xx designation. If it mets the basic needs of the majority of users but doesn't for the perfectionists amongst us, then there is always to hope for more leaked betas to try out (for those who want to). To the OP-thanks for sharing what info you have.
    02-25-09 02:30 PM
    BTW, shouldn't this be moved to the beta OS sub-forum???- sorry for the double post.
    02-25-09 02:36 PM
    yea it is also hard to understand why there are 250,000 blackberry users at your job and none of them are on crackberry, come on push the crack on them.
    02-25-09 02:49 PM
    I just got off the phone with verizon tech support. the guy said he is hearing early 2nd quarter. That means April!!!!!
    02-25-09 02:56 PM
    No the leaked versions are never reworked...the make an OS build, send it Verizon. Verizon accepts or rejects the build after testing it. All the while a new build is being made. So if this right..they will next get .99, which doesn't make much sence b/c I was under the impression these leaks were coming from the provider's testers and not RIM...if verizon is only now testing .90 (not sure I believe this) then the leaks would have to coming from RIM testers, right? But, i'm pretty sure i've read this isn't the way it happens. Again the moral of the story: no one knows!
    02-25-09 02:56 PM
    Verizon is not testing .90. Sorry this is not the case.
    02-25-09 03:34 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD