Has anyone here who paid the $79 for the full Garmin Mobile app upgraded their OS to a new version yet? When you did the restore was it still registered or did you have to call Garmin to get a new activation code?

I want to go with the full version but don't want to go through the hassle of contacting Garmin every time I upgrade to a new OS version to get a new activation key. The way things are going, I see many more leaks of BETA OS's before we see a solid OS that will be on the phone for any period of time.
    02-01-09 12:49 PM
    Garmin's registration is based on your Pin. Upgrading the OS will require you to reinstall Garmin, but should be able to use the same registration code.
    02-01-09 12:53 PM
    I've done it a few times and it restored just fine. No reactivation etc.

I would just verify that it backs up OK before I went forward.
    02-01-09 12:53 PM
    Garmin's registration is based on your Pin. Upgrading the OS will require you to reinstall Garmin, but should be able to use the same registration code.
    I'm on Pin#3 (and OS#6?) and the only time I had to contact Garmin was during .73 (when apps weren't backing up correctly to DM for me.)

As long as DM has worked, Garmin has just kept running.
    02-01-09 12:56 PM
    Here's the Garmin FAQ basis for my statement: Garmin FAQ

I'm certainly not going to argue with your success, however!

EDIT: Sorry, I guess I can't paste the link to a specific answer. The Search Term I used was "new phone." Here's the result:

Question: How can I transfer my Garmin Mobile for Blackberry license to a new phone?

Answer:
    Garmin Mobile is offered as a one time purchase for your Blackberry. The license applies to the first phone on which the application is activated. If upgrading to a different Blackberry, the license expires and much be re-purchased if continued use is desired.

If a phone is replaced by its carrier because of a malfunction, Garmin can transfer a license to the replacement device. This transfer must occur within the first twelve months of activation and is at Garmin's sole discretion. Garmin allows one transfer of this type for each license. In order to transfer a Garmin Mobile license, please contact technical support.

To find out more about the Garmin User Terms, view the Garmin Mobile for Blackberry EULA.

Last modified on: 12/17/2008
    Last edited by JeffH; 02-01-09 at 01:03 PM.
    02-01-09 01:01 PM
    No arguing, here. My suggestion is to try to backup and restore it before worrying about getting a new link and reinstalling.

One less thing to do with a new OS/Pin.

I wish all apps were as easy as Garmin ;-)
    02-01-09 01:05 PM
    I was wondering if they just used the phones hardware information as the security method. Good to know. Now I can register it without the concern.

Thank you.
    02-01-09 01:07 PM
    This sent to me by a garmin support rep.

Thank you for contacting Garmin International. I would be happy to help you with this. If for some reason you needed to get your phone replaced or needed to do a wipe and reinstall the OS you would need to contact Garmin Mobile to get a new activation link sent to your phone. Now you would only be allowed to do this one time within 12 months of purchase because if you purchase or have purchased the lifetime license it is for the lifetime of your blackberry phone. If you have any other questions please feel free to let me know.
    02-02-09 01:40 PM
    I bought Garmin for my Storm when I was on .86, then upgraded to .90 and .99. I never had to re-install Garmin. All I had to do for each upgrade was re-enter the activation code... except for the .99 upgrade, which didnt even require that I do that. Go figure.
    02-02-09 04:39 PM
    Has anyone here who paid the $79 for the full Garmin Mobile app upgraded their OS to a new version yet? When you did the restore was it still registered or did you have to call Garmin to get a new activation code?

I want to go with the full version but don't want to go through the hassle of contacting Garmin every time I upgrade to a new OS version to get a new activation key. The way things are going, I see many more leaks of BETA OS's before we see a solid OS that will be on the phone for any period of time.
    I bought GM when I was on .75, then I upgraded to .8x (can't remember which one) and had to call Garmin Support to have them re-send a link to re-install. At some point I had the GM trial installed and when the OS upgrade restored the only GM on my Storm after the upgrade was the expired trial. I've since upgraded several times, now I'm on OS .99. I've had to call Garmin each time to get a re-install link. They have always been very helpful and never questioned the re-install.

If anybody has some insight into how I could remove the trial history from my install/desktop manager, I would appreciate the help. I've tried the process for backing up 3rd party apps post elsewhere in this forum to no avail.
    02-02-09 07:46 PM
    Yeah, it's a PITA with the trial thing. Garmin support told me I have to pretty much call every time the OS updates. They are good about sending a new link for a DL.
    02-03-09 02:16 PM
    I purchased Garmin from Handango while my Storm was on .75. When I upgraded to .90 and .99, the program transferred but I had to re-activate using my original code.
    02-03-09 02:29 PM
    I can't speak for the experiances of others but mine has been great with Garmin. Each time I called them for a new DL it was only a few minutes talking to tech support. On each occasion, 4 so far, I received the DL link and password while I'm still on the phone with them no questions asked.

I read in some other CB (or maybe the BB forum) threads that Garmin would only honor 2 re-installs with a life time purchase. Completely not true.
    02-03-09 02:38 PM
    I purchased Garmin from Handango while my Storm was on .75. When I upgraded to .90 and .99, the program transferred but I had to re-activate using my original code.
    I downloaded my trial from Handango with the intent to purchase for $99. Then I found a link on CB for $75 directly from Garmin. Whenever I upgrade my OS, the Handango trial re-installs (expired) and my OTA version from Garmin does not. I have to call Garmin to get a DL for a re-install. I guess thats the price I pay for a bargain.
    02-03-09 02:45 PM
    I downloaded my trial from Handango with the intent to purchase for $99. Then I found a link on CB for $75 directly from Garmin. Whenever I upgrade my OS, the Handango trial re-installs (expired) and my OTA version from Garmin does not. I have to call Garmin to get a DL for a re-install. I guess thats the price I pay for a bargain.
    I guess I have the best of both worlds, I also paid $75 but from Handango and do not have to worry about the Garmin OTA issue...

Then again, I thought I saw a thread where Garmin had an updated version before it was pushed to Handango.
    02-03-09 02:50 PM
    I'm on Pin#3 (and OS#6?) and the only time I had to contact Garmin was during .73 (when apps weren't backing up correctly to DM for me.)

As long as DM has worked, Garmin has just kept running.
    +1 I have done multiple OS updates and it worked. I had to get a link from Garmin once though for one time. All the other times my backups and everything worked fine and did not have an issue at all.

You could always get in touch with customer support and they should help you.
    02-03-09 03:48 PM
    +1 I have done multiple OS updates and it worked. I had to get a link from Garmin once though for one time. All the other times my backups and everything worked fine and did not have an issue at all.

You could always get in touch with customer support and they should help you.
    I asked the Garmin support tech about the issue the last time I called for an update. He said he wasn't sure why and that the best solution is to re-install.

The next time I do an OS upgrade, I'll do it on a different PC to see if the issue persists. With a little patience I'll figure out the issue and let everyone know of course.
    02-04-09 08:04 AM
    Yeah, it's a PITA with the trial thing. Garmin support told me I have to pretty much call every time the OS updates. They are good about sending a new link for a DL.
    It is also a pain that when you have to re-install, you loose your favorite locations. FYI. As a workaround for this loss, use the Mobile Manager to push your locations up to the web. Then after you re-install, download them back. This feature has saved my can a couple of times.
    02-04-09 08:10 AM

I purchased the Garmin app when it first came out. I have upgraded to every leaked OS since 75 and have never had to reinstall or contact Garmin to reactivate or reinstall. Strange how different phones have different results. Who knows.
    02-04-09 08:34 AM
    I beleive the issues I'm having stem around installing the trial from Handango which is an install from my PC via the DM and then buying from Garmin and installing the GM via OTA.
    02-04-09 08:50 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD