I think I fixed my problems with the reboot during music playback. First thing I did was convert all my music from AAC to MP3. Then after I dragged and dropped all the music onto my storm I deleted the BBthumbs.dat file which forced it to be rebuilt on the next scan. Since doing this, my .90 OS has yet to crash while playing music (cross my fingers).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    NIIIIIICCCCCCCCEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!! Gonna give it a shot now. Thanks bro.
    01-26-09 08:39 PM
    Ok, where is the bbthumbs.dat located?
    01-26-09 09:03 PM
    Ok, where is the bbthumbs.dat located?
    its a hidden file on the device. do a search for it and check off to include hidden files and folders... on mine there was the main one in the top folder and one in each subfolder...
    01-26-09 09:23 PM
    I think I fixed my problems with the reboot during music playback. First thing I did was convert all my music from AAC to MP3. Then after I dragged and dropped all the music onto my storm I deleted the BBthumbs.dat file which forced it to be rebuilt on the next scan. Since doing this, my .90 OS has yet to crash while playing music (cross my fingers).

There is a known problem with the phone crashing/rebooting while playing music and receiving either a call, email, text, or MMs Does the phone still crash after this fix? I'd test it myself, but I'm waiting for my number to port... I'll test it as soon as it does.
    Last edited by widdlewade; 01-26-09 at 09:43 PM. Reason: left out a word
    01-26-09 09:37 PM
    I just loaded .90 at 3 this morning, and as I was settling into my commute i went to put my music on and the phone crashed.

so this evening i came home and did a wipe and reinstalled .90 and still crashing. then i came across this thread and deleted the bbthumbs.dat files and just tested it and it just crashed again.

anyone else have any ideas?
    01-26-09 09:46 PM
    There is a known problem with the phone crashing/rebooting while playing music and receiving either a call, email, text, or MMs Does the phone still crash after this fix? I'd test it myself, but I'm waiting for my number to port... I'll test it as soon as it does.
    I just tried calling my phone while playing music and everything went fine. I think the problem is really with AAC files. Don't know about the other people who had the reboots even with only MP3s. My guess would be something related to their id tags, even though that doesn't make much sense. As for deleting thumbail files to have the library rescanned, I would believe it's easier to just delete everything in the card and reaload all the music, all in MP3s. That would automatically force the phone to rescan the library.
    01-26-09 11:13 PM
    The problem that I was trying to fix by deleting the bbthumbs.dat file was not the crashing, I was convinced that was due to the AAC files, which is why I converted them all to MP3s. I was trying to fix my other problem, which was that the storm kept doing a full long scan after each battery pull and half the time, when it had just finished found all of my music, it would suddenly unscan almost all my music and leave me with only a few dozen songs rather than the 2582 that I had loaded on the device. I guessed that this was due to a corrupted database file and the bbthumbs.dat seemed to be that file (looking at it in a binary editor at the time showed it to only list a few dozen songs in it). Since, having forced the rebuild of the bthumbs.dat file, it now performs a very quick scan after a battery pull and always seems to find all the songs. FYI, I am keeping all my music in one huge folder rather than in separate subfolders due to earlier efforts I made to solve this problem of the media player not finding all my music. Thus I only had one bbthumbs.dat file to delete and rebuild. I have no idea if that has any influence on crashing or not, but now that the media player works for me, I am not going back to subfolders.
    01-27-09 03:03 AM
    just curious what you used to convert aac to mp3
    01-27-09 05:25 AM
    just curious what you used to convert aac to mp3
    iTunes 8.0.1
    01-27-09 07:28 AM
    I'm Gonna try with some AAC Files and deleting the BBThumbs let you know how will it work if it really the BBthumbs or AAC Files
    01-27-09 01:05 PM
    OK AAC Files are the problems i just played and AAC File and it rebooted played an MP3 File worked fine
    01-27-09 01:32 PM
    God am I pissed. I've been having this problem and reading through this forum for the last couple of days. What finally fixed my problem? Battery pull.

Yup, seemed like a waste of time since the handset was rebooting itself anyways, but nuh-uh. Every type of file plays all the way through now. While listening to .AACs and typing this post on my BlackBerry, I even received a message notification (emailed myself from the desktop) all with no problems. Sheesh!

Don't know if everybody here just wasted a lot of time converting file types, but I'll tell you this--I now have grave doubts whether QuickPull accomplishes the same effects as an open-door reset.

Last edited by patronanejo; 01-28-09 at 11:11 AM.
    01-28-09 09:34 AM
    Mine only reboots when a message alert goes off while playing music.
    01-28-09 09:58 AM
    This is true for me as well. When I am listening to music from my memory card or off of slacker and i receive a text of blackberry message the phone will freeze or just reboot. It is really annoying and it seems that every hour i have to do a battery pull.
    01-28-09 10:44 AM
    Okay, while I was posting that smug message my girlfriend was asleep. Because she was up late segregating my .MP3s and .WMAs into a safe playlist. Stupid device still reboots halfway through .M4As, probably .AACs, too.

After an hour and a half of listening to shuffled tunes, I assumed I had gone through every file type. Ha! What an a**hole. Sorry, guys.

Last edited by patronanejo; 01-28-09 at 10:57 AM.
    01-28-09 10:50 AM
    Oh and by the way sometimes the camera won't save the pictures it will sound just like when it takes the photo but doesn't store it in the phone or media card

The fix for the camera to save is increase the zoom to 1.1
    Works for me.

I think the media player problem is tied to aac vs mp3.
    I have also formatted mem card and reloaded music with no avail.
    Still trying to get around this bug.

Anyone know of a program that will convert the files to mp3?
    Last edited by nixon7606; 01-28-09 at 12:34 PM.
    01-28-09 12:20 PM
    I'm gettin through half a song and then a reboot will occur with the .90 OS. is there a reason or a fix for this??
    are any of you using rhapsody....i can play mp3 files fine but it will not play any Rhapsody music....hopefully this will be fixed soon
    01-28-09 12:31 PM

Anyone know of a program that will convert the files to mp3?
    I just used iTunes to do the conversion. It's slow if you have a lot of songs (only about 150/ hr).
    01-28-09 03:35 PM
    I play vids and mp3 and no probs. But the stream seems to bother it. After a reset I would go right back to moodio and it would do about half a song and do it again.
    It started the second day of moodio use.
    I cleaned mem, battery pulls removed all of the freeware I had installed. It still does it.
    It also started getting the media card inserted problem after a reboot. First time i have ever seen it. Then the verizon screen freezes and another reboot. grrrrrrrrr
    I have been through three updates and had NEVER seen these problems that have plagued others.

I was having fun cruising in the convertible in Hawaii listening to radio Sweden!
    01-28-09 10:06 PM
    mine has rebooted as mp3's are playing a couple times. it also rebooted while i was playing nintai. using .90 here.
    same here.
    02-19-09 07:08 PM
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS FINALLY IT WEN THRU A FULL SONG davidw7 you are a genius men, i deleted the BB Thumbs and played a mp3 song and it work fine
    AWESOME, worked for me too!!!!
    02-19-09 07:21 PM
71 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD