I've noticed, mostly in the mornings, and not every morning, that my storm looks as if it is rebooting itself. Is it supposed to do this? Is it upgrading itself? Or what is going on...
    02-20-09 10:14 PM
    What does it look like? Is the screen white and has a clock in the center? Can you do anything while the device is doing this? How long does this process take?
    02-21-09 07:35 AM
    Mine is randomly rebooting as well. White screen with clock in the center, progress bar on the bottom at times. I've seen it happen multiple times per day. When this is happening the unit is totally unresponsive.

Should I request a new Storm or do all of them do it?

JD
    02-21-09 07:41 AM
    The device will be unresponsive when it is going through its boot up process. (same as your Windows PC).
    Before returning it, we should try to figure out why it is rebooting.

- Are you using the device when it reboots?
    - What 3rd party apps have you installed recently?
    - What OS version are you running?
    02-21-09 08:27 AM
    I had this issue and exchanged my Storm for a new one. VZW store did not hesitate one bit. Unit was about 60 days old. New unit has not had the issue.
    02-21-09 08:36 AM
    I had this issue and exchanged my Storm for a new one. VZW store did not hesitate one bit. Unit was about 60 days old. New unit has not had the issue.
    Mind does this everyday too....by design I use Quick Pull.

FWIW I discovered if you lock your phone Quick Pull will not do a soft reboot.
    02-21-09 08:39 AM
    Mine is doing what CrackberryEric says. Is this by design? I wonder if I should return it?
    02-21-09 08:43 AM
    Mine reboots a couple times a day also. I am sticking it out and hoping with the new upgrade, whenever it comes out will solve the problem !!
    02-21-09 09:34 AM
    The device will be unresponsive when it is going through its boot up process. (same as your Windows PC).
    Before returning it, we should try to figure out why it is rebooting.

- Are you using the device when it reboots?
    - What 3rd party apps have you installed recently?
    - What OS version are you running?
    Usually it happens when I am not using it. I catch it sitting on the desk out of the corner of my eye, the white screen flashes then it reboots. I also notice it in my car with the Storm sitting on the passenger seat.

As for 3rd party apps, well, I'm not sure this is all of them, but I have CaptureIt, Poynt, Opera, and Slacker Radio.

OS version (from Options>About) says v4.7.0.75 (Platform 4.0.0.94)

I've only had the Storm for 8 days... i didn't notice this the first few days, but it seems to be happening pretty frequently now.

Thanks for the replies,

JD
    02-21-09 09:41 AM
    JD - the phone rebooting is not happening by design. If it reboots for no reason, there is likely a memory leak or something causing the reboots. Yet ininstalling the last sop you put on and then reboot and test. Do this one at a time until you find the offender. If none of them fix the problem, then consider a replacement.

A lot of people think replacing the hardware is the ultimate fix, but if it is a combination of apps, it will just happen on the new device after reinstalling all the same apps.

Good luck. Post bac on your progress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-21-09 10:10 AM
    JD - the phone rebooting is not happening by design. If it reboots for no reason, there is likely a memory leak or something causing the reboots. Yet ininstalling the last sop you put on and then reboot and test. Do this one at a time until you find the offender. If none of them fix the problem, then consider a replacement.

Good luck. Post bac on your progress.
    Eric,

Being new to the Blackberry, I'm not sure I know how or where to look for 3rd party apps. I'm also not sure how to remove them.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

JD
    02-21-09 11:04 AM
    There is a thread for 3rd party apps on the forums. Do a search on it. It might be posted at the top of this forum, but I'm on my Storm and can't really check.

If you need to remove one, go to:
    Options
    Advanced options
    Applications
    Highlight the sop, press the BlackBerry button and selt delete.

02-21-09 12:43 PM
    If you need to remove one, go to:
    Options
    Advanced options
    Applications
    Highlight the sop, press the BlackBerry button and selt delete.
    I assume the highlighted ones are the apps I've added. My list is bigger than I thought...

- CaptureIt
    - Google Maps
    - Poynt
    - Slacker Mobile for Blackberry
    - V Cast Music | Rhapsody
    - Visual Voice Mail
    - VZ Navigator

I think I'm going to remove them all except for Visual Voice Mail and see how it runs after that.

JD
    02-21-09 12:57 PM
    I'd do one at a time so you can try to narrow down the problem. Especially if you like some/most of those apps. The goal here isn't to strip your Storm back to stock, but to find out what is causing the issue and possibly find a way around it.

Do one at a time. Start with the least used app. Then give it a day or so to test.

Also, did you install a theme lately? If so, try going back to the default theme for a while and see if that does it.
    02-21-09 01:16 PM
    I'd do one at a time so you can try to narrow down the problem. Especially if you like some/most of those apps. The goal here isn't to strip your Storm back to stock, but to find out what is causing the issue and possibly find a way around it.

Do one at a time. Start with the least used app. Then give it a day or so to test.

Also, did you install a theme lately? If so, try going back to the default theme for a while and see if that does it.
    Okay, I didn't wait for your reply... and have already removed 4 apps...

- CaptureIt
    - Google Maps
    - Poynt
    - Slacker Mobile for Blackberry
    - Visual Voice Mail
    - VZ Navigator

I did it in this order...

- Google Maps
    - Poynt
    - CaptureIt

...rebooting after each was removed.

The Blackberry was sluggish at times after each reboot, but after removing CaptureIt and rebooting the device seemed to not be at all sluggish while navigating menus back to the Apps list.

I'll stop here and see how it performs for the next few hours.

Thanks for the advice and guidance.

JD
    02-21-09 01:27 PM
    Just randomly rebooted again.

JD
    02-21-09 01:49 PM
    Before you go removing the rest of your apps, lets try to figure out when this started. How long have the random reboots been happening? Was it after the upgrade to .75?

If you dont really know for sure, then try removing all of the other apps and reboot. If it keeps happening after that, I would call VZW for a replacement.
    02-21-09 03:08 PM
    Before you go removing the rest of your apps, lets try to figure out when this started. How long have the random reboots been happening? Was it after the upgrade to .75?

If you dont really know for sure, then try removing all of the other apps and reboot. If it keeps happening after that, I would call VZW for a replacement.
    I have never done an OS upgrade, it came with .75. Also, after posting that I'd had yet another random reboot (1:49), I removed one more app... Slacker Mobile for Blackberry. It has been about an hour since I did that and it hasn't rebooted in that hour.

Something else I've noticed about the random reboot... man, oh man, does it wear on the battery. I started my day with a fully charged battery and was down to two battery segments still lit by 3:00pm. It's on the charger now, so hopefully by the time I get out of work at 4:00 it'll be ready to make it through the evening.

I'll keep you updated... thanks for the help.

JD
    02-21-09 03:22 PM
    I use to have random reboot but after I installed .103 all are gone except that when I get home; which signal is bad and goes fro 1x to 1xEV on my Storm that's when I might get a random reboot maybe once or twice a week now. try upgrading it to .103 and see if that helps you.
    02-21-09 03:28 PM
    Sound like it may have been slacker. If you a
    re good for a while, try installing the other apps back one at a time. If all is well, try installing slacker back and hope for the best.

02-21-09 04:21 PM
    I've owned this overpriced smudgebrick since release date, and the only thing I can count on [with any degree of certainty] is constant rebooting. It reboots a dozen or more times a day, and this usually takes 3-5 minutes to happen. It can be in a suspended state for as much as 15 minutes per hour sometimes.

Verizon and RIM want you to drink the kool aid and believe that the phone is the true iPhone killer. If this pile of garbage is the thing that kills the iPhone, then the iPhone probably needed to be killed. The Storm is complete junk.

Everytime I have asked about this problem, I get one of the following theories:
    1- My third party apps. No-no.... I don't have a single third party app on my phone and I never have. It's completely stock.
    2- I'm not closing my programs properly, thus clogging the processor and causing the phone to reboot in an attempt to close these programs automatically. I could buy that, except that once the phone reboots it seems like any problem with cluttered memory would resolved. So why, then, does the phone sometimes reboot numerous times while lying on a table with nobody touching it.

I keep hearing that "updates are coming." The last approved update was over two months ago, and it didn't fix a thing.

Garabage. Complete junk.
    02-21-09 04:33 PM
    Sound like it may have been slacker. If you are good for a while, try installing the other apps back one at a time. If all is well, try installing slacker back and hope for the best.
    Is there some way to tell when the device last rebooted? I'm really interested in knowing the last time it rebooted on it's own.

I haven't seen the device reboot since yesterday afternoon just before 2:00. Battery usage seems to be way down from the time when it was randomly rebooting multiples times per hour.

The Storm is now behaving quite well.

JD
    02-22-09 12:50 PM
    I haven't seen the device reboot since yesterday afternoon just before 2:00. Battery usage seems to be way down from the time when it was randomly rebooting multiples times per hour.

The Storm is now behaving quite well.
    It looks like I spoke too soon. After running well all evening Saturday and all day Sunday, the device has randomly rebooted twice already this morning.

JD
    02-23-09 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD