I recently received a storm 9500 as a present from my wife....afert an hour of use I encountered a reboot...and over the next 2 days many, many reboots...I read all I could on these forums and tried to no avail to resolve. I had only downloaded some ringtones, and pictures..no other software.

By the end of the third day I had been able to duplicate the reboot everytime by swapping the landscape and portrait modes, then laying flat, with screen facing up...it would either reboot, or go to sleep and lock up.

As I am living in Dubai, I went back to the local retailer and demanded a new unit...I got one with same production run, same software load, etc. only difference was serial number...

Being nervous I very carefully tested before taking out..and absolutely no reboots, no hang ups..now a week later, still not one issue.

My sense is that there is an defective in the motion sensing hardware or a crack or short in the board as the rebooting was most notable when rotating and laying down.

But given the same software, factory and batch produced a working unit...it cant be software causing the problems.
    01-15-09 05:44 AM
    While it certainly could be a rare hardware problem, since you took NO troubleshooting steps you can't possibly say it wasn't software. Do you know the second one had the same OS version? And if it did, do you know that nothing went wrong with the OS install on the first one? Did you try upgrading the OS before you returned it? No no and no. So yes, it could very well have been a software problem, and actually probably WAS a software problem. But now we'll never know.
    01-15-09 05:59 AM
    It was exactly the same software load...everything was exactly the same as they were literally from the same shipment

at the price they charge here, they arent moving quite as fast
    01-15-09 06:03 AM
    yes I did trouble shoot and try everything that was on the forum...except, I didn't try upgrading the OS as I knew I was going to return...

I am in the electronics industry...when you can duplicate the problem each time, which is what I was eventually able to do, it wasnt so random on the reboot.
    01-15-09 06:06 AM
    Sounds as if you did everything prudently necessary. Though I am far from the point of having read every thread and posting here on CrackBerry, I have not run across the issue you so kindly brought to the forum. Thanks for adding...
    Steve
    01-15-09 06:21 AM
    mdftexas - how long have you had the 2nd device with no reboots? I was in similar situation. Traded a 5-10 reboots/day device for a brand new one. New one didn't reboot for around 2-3 weeks. Then reboots came back. Also, I can wipe my Storm and reload the OS and the reboots will go away for another 2 weeks or so. I still think its software.

Has this forum been polled with how many are experiencing reboots?
    01-15-09 06:57 AM
    mdftexas - how long have you had the 2nd device with no reboots? I was in similar situation. Traded a 5-10 reboots/day device for a brand new one. New one didn't reboot for around 2-3 weeks. Then reboots came back. Also, I can wipe my Storm and reload the OS and the reboots will go away for another 2 weeks or so. I still think its software.

Has this forum been polled with how many are experiencing reboots?

Mine is rebooting and i am useing OS .75 on Verizon
    01-15-09 07:38 AM
    If you are firmly convinced it's hardware, then return (exchange) it.
    01-15-09 08:07 AM
    I had at least two reboots a day (phone would not "wake up" and then long red light) I thought it might be software as well. I exchanged it and have the exact software and configuration on my new phone and NO reboots (it's been about a week). While I'm not 100% sure it is hardware, if anyone has any doubts, get a new one.
    01-15-09 08:24 AM
    I too have had similar issue and exchnge solution - now, 2 weks into new unit...the reboots are starting to return. love the unit but with new unit - fearing it was somthing i loaded - i have used it straight out of the box...and now it's starting to reboot.thought?
    01-15-09 08:40 AM
    While it certainly could be a rare hardware problem, since you took NO troubleshooting steps you can't possibly say it wasn't software. Do you know the second one had the same OS version? And if it did, do you know that nothing went wrong with the OS install on the first one? Did you try upgrading the OS before you returned it? No no and no. So yes, it could very well have been a software problem, and actually probably WAS a software problem. But now we'll never know.
    You obviously don't work in the tech industry. If that wasn't troubleshooting, I don't know what is.
    01-15-09 08:48 AM
    I too have had similar issue and exchnge solution - now, 2 weks into new unit...the reboots are starting to return. love the unit but with new unit - fearing it was somthing i loaded - i have used it straight out of the box...and now it's starting to reboot.thought?
    return it and get a new one?
    01-15-09 08:49 AM
    Not sure that this is the cause but my Storm was rebooting about 3-4 times a week: setting idle, while texting, in the middle of a call, and when removing from the case. Requested a new phone and it stopped rebooting. However, while going through the setup with RIM the second time, I was asked why I was replacing the Storm. When I told them about all the reboots, I was asked if I loaded Google Maps and I said yes. The tech had me delete Google Maps because there are known issues that cause rebooting in Blackberries. To me, it appears to be either hardware or Google Maps to blame.
    01-24-09 12:36 PM
    For me, NO 3rd party apps and it still rebooted -- almost every 10 minutes. Sometimes, it would go on a rebooting spell where it woulld continuously reboot for 30 minutes at a time, chewing through the battery at a monstrous rate. I replaced it and, well, so far so good. If this one starts doing that again, I'm gonna have a hissy fit at Verizon. I need my phone to actually be a phone. I don't think that's too much to ask.
    01-30-09 03:07 PM
    Just to update, a phone replacement did fix it for me, too. Looks like it is hardware-related.
    02-04-09 09:37 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD