Well the true reason for the Storm shortage finally surfaces. Take it how you will, but I think that BG is right about this. Check it out, it's the top story on the page at the moment:

Boy Genius Report

Or here's the link to the story itself incase something new gets posted on the site:

The real story behind the Verizon BlackBerry Storm OS? : Boy Genius Report

**Edit: Mods please change the name of the thread to "The real reason for the shortage" --Thanks
    Last edited by dcoy82; 11-21-08 at 07:52 PM.
    11-21-08 07:41 PM
    my storm is on order. does anyone else have these multiple layers of stickers?
    11-21-08 07:43 PM
    I think this actually makes sense. Many of the sites who received the pre release version of the Storm generally had postive things to say and liked it. Which could mean that they were loaded with more up to date software when compared to the .65 OS. BB finds a flaw needs to downgrade to the most recent "secure" OS and ends up going to .65 which happens to be far immature compared to the new OSes. What do you all think.
    11-21-08 07:51 PM
    So, has anybody peeled back their sticker to find out if theirs is the same way?
    11-21-08 08:04 PM
    i was pretty sure the hold up was due to a software glitch... this makes a TON of sense.
    11-21-08 08:10 PM
    Pealed mine yes mine follows BGR story

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 08:10 PM
    Great job by BoyGenius! Wow. That explains it all. Great reason to wait until the issues are resolved. The Storm might even be usable by the time a good OS is released. Right now it is junk.
    11-21-08 08:13 PM
    Eh to be honest I really don't have that many problems with mine. The biggest thing is to make sure all programs except the main 5 are closed unless you are using something. If you keep it with just the main 5 running it runs smooth as butter.
    11-21-08 08:16 PM
    CX responded to BG confirming his hypothesis...

I would say, this is a plausible reason for the shortage and crappy OS version on the early releases.

*patiently waiting to buy her Storm*
    11-21-08 08:17 PM
    i ordered mine today. they said it will be shipped on or by the 25th. think it can be fixed by then?
    11-21-08 08:19 PM
    Two yellow stickers on mine but only one white label.
    11-21-08 08:21 PM
    They are "Fixed" now with the current software they are shipped with. It's not the most up to date, but it runs stable and fluid if you keep all programs running in the background to a minimal.
    11-21-08 08:22 PM
    Thanks for keeping it real CX, i saw that BGR comment and the one on Sooks thread.
    11-21-08 08:25 PM
    only one white label on my box.....as far as background programs go, how do you exit them completely so they arent running in the background?
    11-21-08 08:29 PM
    Only one white label, but a yellow sticker on it.
    11-21-08 08:31 PM
    It might make sense, but I found something this morning that goes against this. At the first store I went to (yeah, I hit multiple to check versions and build quality over a wider scale), I stumbled across Storms that have both .61 and .65. At the first store the rep even stated that one of the two devices wasn't yet updated because they didn't get enough time in the morning. So, unless they had .85 and then dropped to to .61 before shipping only to bump it back up to .65, the story doesn't make too much sense. But I gota say... a factory print with .85 and a cover sticker over it does point a finger somewhere. It's also possible that they just had boxes preprinted for an OS they expected to have by release day, but they ran behind on development and were forced to drop back down.

All I'm saying is that .61 is what it shipped with to Verizon stores and they got updated to .65, not dropped from .85 to .65 during the night.

Also, after doing some digging and speculating on how the OTA OS updates work, they are simply patches to the binary files. That's why the download is so small. It's probably a binary patch to files which just turn the files into the next version up. In other words, just the parts of the files that change is what's applied, the signatures are repopulated and bingo... updated OS. It's not the entire OS load. To upgrade it's simple, but to downgrade I belive it would take a wipe and reload with DM/Javaloader. (This is pure educated speculation though...)
    Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 11-21-08 at 08:36 PM.
    11-21-08 08:31 PM
    Well I always make sure to hit the BBMenu button and click Exit/Close when I'm ready to close a program instead of just hitting the back button or the red end button. I set the left convienience key to pull up the Switch Applications shortcut and make sure no programs are running still that don't need to be.
    11-21-08 08:33 PM
    here is when I peeled my sticker

My box came with 1 white sticker, 1 yellow sticker, and 1 bad a$$ Storm
    Well I always make sure to hit the BBMenu button and click Exit/Close when I'm ready to close a program instead of just hitting the back button or the red end button. I set the left convienience key to pull up the Switch Applications shortcut and make sure no programs are running still that don't need to be.
    Cool, thanks!
    11-21-08 09:09 PM
    Yellow sticker means the device was good to sell. Without the yellow sticker means the phone had to be flashed with the proper OS. Otherwise, the OS it came with would not allow the device to connect to the network. Good job VZW and RIM.
    11-21-08 09:11 PM
    only have one label but there is a yellow sticker...
    11-21-08 09:15 PM
    Mine had the sticker as well cover up the .82. Love the phone though, just needs to be faster which will come with the next update.....I hope!
    11-21-08 09:20 PM
    Yellow sticker means the device was good to sell. Without the yellow sticker means the phone had to be flashed with the proper OS. Otherwise, the OS it came with would not allow the device to connect to the network. Good job VZW and RIM.

Mine had a green sticker, wonder what that means?
    11-21-08 09:22 PM
    .82 is the app version = OS .65
    Also, RIM cannot just post an upgrade without Verizon's acceptance, which takes weeks.
    11-21-08 09:26 PM
45 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD