How did I back paddle? I think the Storm should have Wi-Fi.

I am willing to wait for the GSM version that is suppose to have Wi-Fi.
    You're absolutely right. I was in a rush to run out the door and accidentally quoted the wrong person. Should have been Five's post. I've correct it, but you should have realized that from the context of my post.
    10-31-08 03:13 PM
    wow... that ain't right
    I agree. WTF? Stang

What you don't think a WHITE person would say that?
    10-31-08 08:46 PM
    "You’re dumb, ignorant, and stupid. Plain and simple."

You honestly can't see why people might like Wifi? Do you carry a laptop in your pocket as well? Outside of using it where there is no coverage or no cell signal allowed, it's great to have to Skype, transfer files from your computer, stream content from your computer, and in general have a MUCH faster connection than a cell signal. Through programs like Netshare you can transfer files right to other phones. You can save hundreds of dollars when roaming, maybe more; if you think Verizon screws you on navigator/visual-voicemail, try getting email while roaming.

Best coverage, worst policies. We've had Verizon for work for years but we will be switching soon.
    If your in an area where there is no cell signal then I highly doubt your going to get free wifi service. I know wifi is in a bunch of places but most of those places you have to pay to use there wifi. It all comes down to where your at but this is plain and simple if you need wifi on a cell phone so bad then don't get the Storm; there are plenty of people that are going to get this phone with or without wifi. Personally I don't really care if it has wifi sweet, if it doesn't oh well still going to get the phone.The only place that I use wifi is in my home and I use my LAPTOP not my cellphone.
    11-01-08 09:47 AM
    I could care less if it has Wifi. But don't degrade the importance of it. Wifi is very useful for corporate users who don't get great signal in concrete office buildings and need to send/download large files at work and do it fast. It didn't have wifi because Verizon wanted it that way. Other versions of the Storm will. And also the Niagara has Wifi. The Niagara is also targeted at corporate users, which only confirms my previous statement.
    11-01-08 10:41 AM
    I could care less if it has Wifi. But don't degrade the importance of it. Wifi is very useful for corporate users who don't get great signal in concrete office buildings and need to send/download large files at work and do it fast. It didn't have wifi because Verizon wanted it that way. Other versions of the Storm will. And also the Niagara has Wifi. The Niagara is also targeted at corporate users, which only confirms my previous statement.
    So when RIM said the reason the Storm doesn't have wi-fi is because it didn't fit on the motherboard is not true? They were just covering it up for Verizon?
    11-01-08 11:37 AM
    Why on earth would VZW want the US Storm to have WIFI?

All it does is enable someone that unlocks a handset to use AT&T or Tmo with that 'exclusive' device without the penalty of losing that 3g connection. You could use the phone at home to download larger attachments, use it at Starbucks to download music, etc... All on ANY network you wanted. I think locking down the phone was a brilliant move on VZW's part if it was designed to keep loyal VZW shoppers from migrating to the G1 or the Iphone or whatever.

Leaves you the choice of slower 3rd party data networks or the faster EVDO (eventually LTE if the early reports are right) on VZW... Last time I ended up using WIFI was on my Dell Axim that didn't have a cell line attached to it without plugging in my LG7000.

Oh and I do see the use for it in the Business sector, but like was stated above, I think the Niagra is going to fill that role more so than the storm...
    Last edited by zcarman; 11-01-08 at 12:04 PM.
    11-01-08 12:01 PM
    They only did it to make Verizon happy. Only temporarily because AT&T will get it's own versio of the Storm in 09 with NA HSPA and wifi.
    11-01-08 12:04 PM
57 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD