Shouldn't we get more info tomorrow?????
    That's too far away :-P

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-23-08 09:04 AM
    What is the thrird type of keyboard they are talking about on the package? QWERTY, Suretype, and ...?
    its multitap.
    09-23-08 09:05 AM
    I'm upset that there is no WiFi or camera flash. Having the 8830 now, these are two features that I was really looking forward to. Oh well ... Either way, it will be a much anticipated upgrade for me from the 8830.

Agreed as well...especially flash cam...I mean I can understand the wifi part but cmon, even the most basic cell phone has flash camera now days!
    09-23-08 09:07 AM
    I don't get why everyone is BITC HING about the screen resolution...WTF... When the Bold came out, it was said by many the it's screen was the best on the market. Then Kevin just did a review on the Javelin and he said(plus I know) that it's screen looks better than the Bolds. So WTF people? The bottom line is NOTHING is never good enough, they can NEVER win.....
    Crucial,

nobody is bichin here...we're all merely voicing our worthless opinions, we are allowed that now aren't we? Ridin the crimson tide are we?

P.S. who, where and what would you be w/o all this bichin anyways?
    Last edited by dc1225; 09-23-08 at 09:12 AM.
    09-23-08 09:09 AM
    Is anyone else intrigued by what kevin listed as 'gesture touch' ? that could be interesting.
    09-23-08 09:11 AM
    Is anyone else intrigued by what kevin listed as 'gesture touch' ? that could be interesting.
    I was actually very intrigued by that. Because I don't know what it means though, I am left to ponder and wait
    09-23-08 09:16 AM
    I think they are really screwing up waiting until November. It's not impulsive to say it either. You can always wait until the Holiday's, but if you have a solid product ,the hype machine will take care of itself. Using that logic, the new Ipods would still be collecting dust in a warehouse. They didn't wait because of their brand recognition and Apple knows they will sell. I believe "Blackberry" fits into this category especially a touchscreen one. Their recognition and brand loyalty is as strong as any other and the sooner the product releases the more they can change the attach rate outcome of some of the other devices.

There is a ton of competition out there between Android and the obvious. If RIM Really trusts their product they need to push VZW to release this sooner rather than later. Why let customers looking for a touchscreen device see what the competition is bring to the table when in one crushing blow they can dominate.? The 3-D Renderings on the website and the e-mails don't quite cut it. There is skepticism and they need to take an aggressive approach with their previews and then release in a timely manner.
    You know I think they lost out by leaving the trackball out of it. If they had left it on there and then add the touchscreen, then they could have marketed with a dual appeal. One to the businessman and one to the not business related young Iphone lovers.

But really who does this phone appeal to because if you ask me, this is not going to compete with Iphone.
    09-23-08 09:16 AM
    I think I'm most bummed about no tabbed web browsing. When I used my friends iphone, that was one of the most useful features. Being able to have multiple sites open at once and move back and forth was very convenient.

Everything else is "OK" with me.
    09-23-08 09:24 AM
    You know I think they lost out by leaving the trackball out of it.
    This is not meant to be a flame but, why would you need a trackball with a touch screen
    09-23-08 09:27 AM
    This is not meant to be a flame but, why would you need a trackball with a touch screen
    I agree. Why use a trackball when you have Gesture touch? A flick of the finger to scroll vs spinning a wheel sounds like a better option.
    09-23-08 09:30 AM
    If those specs are ture I want to know what the **** RIM was thinking!!!

your competition is the iPhone, alright. In order to compete with any apple product you have to include EVERY feature they have and out do them in extra areas. I know that the typical response on here is that it's a BB so it doesn't need to do all that other stuff cause it has push email and yadayadayada. Apple has push email, a bigger screen, 16 (soon to be 32) gigs internal, and tabbed browsing. The storm must have all of these features, and then some to compete with that phone, if they did not intend to compete with the iPhone they should not have built this device. Period.

That being said I am still going to test drive it. Maybe the input will be so good that it will make all the other features seem like I'm not even missing them, but i doubt it.
    09-23-08 09:38 AM
    I agree. Why use a trackball when you have Gesture touch? A flick of the finger to scroll vs spinning a wheel sounds like a better option.
    Well, I don't understand the concept of gesture touch so maybe I spoke too soon. But if its anything like voyager's touch, I don't like it. I felt that the trackball was more effective than the voyager touch's touchscreen in response time.

I will google gesture touch now...
    09-23-08 09:43 AM
    its multitap.
    What is multitap? I guess I'm out of the loop on this one

Edit: nevermind, it's been so long since i have use a phone without qwerty that i forgot about t9 text entry.
    Last edited by talltubatom; 09-23-08 at 09:50 AM.
    09-23-08 09:44 AM
    If those specs are ture I want to know what the **** RIM was thinking!!!

your competition is the iPhone, alright. In order to compete with any apple product you have to include EVERY feature they have and out do them in extra areas. I know that the typical response on here is that it's a BB so it doesn't need to do all that other stuff cause it has push email and yadayadayada. Apple has push email, a bigger screen, 16 (soon to be 32) gigs internal, and tabbed browsing. The storm must have all of these features, and then some to compete with that phone, if they did not intend to compete with the iPhone they should not have built this device. Period.

That being said I am still going to test drive it. Maybe the input will be so good that it will make all the other features seem like I'm not even missing them, but i doubt it.

I understand that, you understand that so why can't BB? But I am quite sure that BB tried to match feature by feature and decided that there's no way they can match Apple so they gave up.

Apple is lightyears ahead of its competition in any business category they decide to venture into. I wish Apple would partner up w/ Verizon instead of Ghetto A$$ AT&T
    09-23-08 09:50 AM
    Well, I don't understand the concept of gesture touch so maybe I spoke too soon. But if its anything like voyager's touch, I don't like it. I felt that the trackball was more effective than the voyager touch's touchscreen in response time.

I will google gesture touch now...
    gesture touch is all the zoom -in zoom-out type features that are available on multi touch devices.
    09-23-08 09:54 AM
    gesture touch is all the zoom -in zoom-out type features that are available on multi touch devices.
    you mean like the Iphone?
    09-23-08 09:56 AM
    I hate to get off topic, but light years ahead in anything the decide to do? Really? Nope. The Iphone 3G was designed to try and get businesses to use instead of Blackberrys. And that's not happening. I'm not saying its a bad device, but there are some things that suck and don't match up to the Blackberry.

Anyways, the 95xx will take a large share of the market. And that is RIM's hopes. It doesn't have to kill the Iphone.

09-23-08 10:02 AM
    I'm overall happy with these details. VGA resolution would have been nice, but that resolution will definitely get the job done. WiFi is pretty much inconsequential to me considering there ISN'T a place I dont get VZW reception in NYC, but it'd be really nice to be able to use GPS without having to go the VZNav route. Flash would have also been nice, but it's also kind of inconsequential considering I dont use my camera phone much. The lack of tabbed browsing, howvever, is a serious bummer. Flash support would have been really useful

I'd give it a B. Could have been better but I'm still going to pick this one up when it's out.
    Last edited by Rev0lver; 09-23-08 at 10:15 AM.
    09-23-08 10:03 AM
    CX: Can you confirm KB's comment on only being able to have 1 website open at once?
    09-23-08 10:04 AM
    Yeah I'm really feeling that the 9500 box is for the series itself the flash gives it away. The no wifi thing makes sense to me knowing verizon and I could even see not showing support for gps since the current debacle with the 8130/8830/8330 and its "gps" rages on.
    09-23-08 10:16 AM
    I understand that, you understand that so why can't BB? But I am quite sure that BB tried to match feature by feature and decided that there's no way they can match Apple so they gave up.

Apple is lightyears ahead of its competition in any business category they decide to venture into. I wish Apple would partner up w/ Verizon instead of Ghetto A$$ AT&T

Ugh. do you really need to start a flame war in here over the iphone?
    09-23-08 10:17 AM
    Also looking at the picture on blackberry news I can't seem to read the network part clearly...but I swear I see CDMA Network support on the right side...listing the 1900/800 bands...

EDIT 2: If you look at the blown up part of the picture highlighting the phone...look just below the watermark you can see the first letter is a C...then if you look a the big picture you know those last two bullet points are network support.
    Michael Bettiol over at Blackberry News posted the following regarding the 9500 not supporting CDMA
    "If you look at the first picture closely you will see that the second to last paragraph is the CDMA variant which has quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE and only 2100 MHz 3G.

Below it are the radio specs for a device that has no CDMA and triband 3G (850/1900/2100 MHz) and quadband GSM/GPRS/EDGE."
    09-23-08 10:18 AM
    I'd give it a B. Could have been better but I'm still going to pick this one up when it's out.
    That is a pretty doog way of laying it out there. I am disapointed with a few of the features but I am still excited to see the device. The only thing that really dissapoints me is the 3.25" screen.

DC I have to agree with Crucial on this. Apple is not lightyears ahead in really anything except marketing. The only reason I say that the same specs are needed + is that there is no way to beat them simply with marketing, you have to make their product look expensive and useless compared to your own. RIM did not do this all the way, and I think the outcome will be not nearly as big of a market share in the touch screen area as they had wished for.
    09-23-08 10:20 AM
    as for some of the missing features, i.e. the tabbed browsing, perhaps the smaller screen size made it difficult to have a row of tabs on screen, yet still keep the viewable page size acceptable.

as for comparing to the iphone, you KNOW that the storm will be held to a higher standard by buisiness users. if there were aspects of the device (features, software, etc) that were left out, you can guarantee they had a VERY good reason
    09-23-08 10:24 AM
    Forgive me as I'm not too keen on Blackberry matters - this'll be my first one. Couldn't the tabbed browsing be fixed by a third party browser like Opera, or even a patch by RIM? Or is it more of a hardware than a software issue?

Edit: Additionally, isn't Flash support a given at Adobe's discretion? The reason the PS3 doesn't have flash support on it's browser is due in part to the fact that Adobe hasn't developed a version of flash capable of being run on it.
    Last edited by Rev0lver; 09-23-08 at 10:38 AM.
    09-23-08 10:30 AM
217 ... 23456 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD