I've seen some threads on this and they are all different

Prior to the .76 update i got random reboots quite frequently, i did a complete wipe, installed the .76 update and it still randomly reboots just not as often

Question is, should i contact verizon for a replacement, i'm not sure if this is a software or hardware issue?
    12-08-08 02:12 PM
    All I know is that the only time mine reboots is when I cause it for whatever reason. I would call VZ.
    12-08-08 02:38 PM
    I had the same problem. Called VZW today and have a new phone comming in the mail. It will be here by the 15th.
    12-08-08 03:00 PM
    My 8310 was rebooting a couple of times a week. I returned it to AT&T for a replacement and it's working great now. (knock on wood) It's a pain, but I would get it replaced if at all possible.
    12-08-08 03:02 PM
    I had the same problem. Called VZW today and have a new phone comming in the mail. It will be here by the 15th.
    just a question, is your current storm deactivated or what? cause i don't think i'm willing to go without a phone until the 15th.
    12-08-08 03:03 PM
    just a question, is your current storm deactivated or what? cause i don't think i'm willing to go without a phone until the 15th.
    good question, i'd like to know too
    12-08-08 03:08 PM
    I uninstalled and deactivated Visual Voicemail and my reboots stopped. Yesterday, I activated it again and reinstalled VVM. I have had 2 reboots since. Seems it is very possible VVM is the culprit. Do you have VVM installed?
    12-08-08 03:18 PM
    yes, i do have visual voicemail installed, i'd hate to remove it cause i like the feature and im paying for it, but if its the cause blackberry/vzw needs to know

edit: just double checked, since my wipe and reinstall of .76 on friday i havent reinstalled VVM and i still get random reboots
    Last edited by mcstorm; 12-08-08 at 03:30 PM.
    12-08-08 03:26 PM
    I also have vvm installed and still have 2-3 reboots per day with os .75 installed. The reboots seem to be associated with receiving txt messages or phone calls (as has been previously stated), although I have had at least 1 reboot that occurred at idle. Also installed are youtube, facebook, opera mini. Hoping this can be addressed with another OS update.
    12-08-08 03:41 PM
    thats why i cant decide if it's hardware or software? thats why i dont want to go through the hassle of replacing the phone if its just software
    12-08-08 03:45 PM
    I have VVM, and .75 I have never had a reboot at all, unless I rebooted it!
    12-08-08 03:46 PM
    i received the phone with .65, no reboots. updated to .75 through DM with the official update. got about 4-6 reboots a day. updated to .76, less reboots, but still get them. i don't have VVM installed while having .76 installed.
    12-08-08 03:55 PM
    mine did it twice for the first time today. I have a new phone coming next week so I'm not too concerned but after a battery pull early this morning it hasn't done it since with a pretty significant amount of use.
    12-08-08 03:57 PM
    Current phone is activated. I did get charged for another storm, and will be credited for it when i return the phone that is not working correctly. I was very supprised with the great customer service I got when I called. I was patient and after explaing what was happeing I was told I would recieve a new phone NOT a refurbished unit. So all I can do is wait and hope the new phone doesnt have any problems.
    12-08-08 05:42 PM
    Current phone is activated. I did get charged for another storm, and will be credited for it when i return the phone that is not working correctly. I was very supprised with the great customer service I got when I called. I was patient and after explaing what was happeing I was told I would recieve a new phone NOT a refurbished unit. So all I can do is wait and hope the new phone doesnt have any problems.
    perfect. thank you very much.
    12-08-08 06:47 PM
    mine does every time i use the media player then try to stop it?
    12-08-08 08:43 PM
    My storm is 4-days old - rebooting began Sunday evening, 4 x's. Monday, afternoon it began again - FIFTEEN times in approx. 4-5 hours. Doesn't seem to be caused by anything in particular AND the phone begins to heat up, a lot. Called Verizon 3 or 4 x's - a new Storm is to be shipped. Hope the new phone solves the problem because 3-4 minutes to reboot each time is not a good thing. Did see in one forum (think it was pearl) that removing the media card seemed to solve the problem. BTW the new OS is loaded. Had not had the phone long enough to *know* if loading the new OS started the problem.
    12-09-08 08:17 AM
    I also have vvm installed and still have 2-3 reboots per day with os .75 installed. The reboots seem to be associated with receiving txt messages or phone calls (as has been previously stated), although I have had at least 1 reboot that occurred at idle. Also installed are youtube, facebook, opera mini. Hoping this can be addressed with another OS update.
    I have this same thing. .76 happens less than .65 and .75... I feel this is probably a software problem as they released this phone and software months before they should have.

I have a new Storm coming on the 16 or 17 and hopefully that will be a little less troublesome. (I have had this since release day.)

I have even had it reboot while in the middle of a phone conversation...
    12-09-08 08:22 AM
    Mine didnt start rebooting until i did the update. Now it's done it twice. Both times I was typing. I've done the screwdriver fix for my screen, and since I've been typing extremely fast. I'm thinking that maybe i'm pressing 2 or more things at the same time, "confusing" the Storm into rebooting.
    12-09-08 08:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD