Okay, this is really annoying... sometimes and email comes in and gets the tone as set, and sometimes just the light blinks. This is when the phone is locked, sitting on my desk--not plugged in, or just sitting on the desk unlocked but with the screen dark due to time-out.

Help? Am I missing something? Just after a battery pull it's fine for a while.

This is annoying.
    12-07-08 05:33 PM
    I'm having the same problem. Although it seems to do it to me randomly, locked and unlocked. I have the alert settings setup correctly and when I receive an SMS, sometimes it just blinks with no sound notifications. Most of the time it does sound....someone please help!
    12-07-08 05:46 PM
    Yes, it's random here too. Also, I don't like that voicemail and SMS share a ringtone. I'd like them to be separate.

Interestingly, while doing some testing, my one moto verizon phone called my storm and had the same symptom my storm had on Friday... I made several calls and couldn't hear the ringing on the other end. A reboot fixed. Could that problem be less a storm issue (since this was my Moto755 acting like my storm did the other day) and more a Verizon issue?
    12-07-08 06:07 PM
    just curious, what profile do you have picked for the notifications that aren't going through?

this was happening to me for BBM messages when I had "lightspeed" picked. I switched it to something else, and that fixed the prob...
    12-07-08 06:27 PM
    Notifier_magic is set for Level 1 (I'm not even sure what level 1 means tho) as well as for Email. Sounds is set to Loud.
    12-07-08 06:39 PM
    maybe try to make a custom profile, and select something other than magic?
    12-07-08 06:41 PM
    Ok, I set one up. We'll see how it goes.
    12-07-08 06:47 PM
    cool - let us know!
    12-07-08 06:47 PM
    Nope--different settings don't help. Only a battery pull does for a while--and the timing is random.
    12-08-08 07:55 PM
    This is becoming very annoying...I use the BBPro_Sanguine tone for all my level 1 emails...and all of a sudden, it will stop recognizing that particular tone - just as the OP..no tone, red LED...I have another tone set for my personal emails and those will ring out loud just fine! First I thought it was because all my ring tones were on the media card so I moved all of those to the device memory...now only a reboot gets this back to normal...

does anyone know what this error is due to? Can you all look at your logs and paste what it says when you get a level 1 message and doesn't play your defined alert tone? It might help someone figure this out....I'm forced because of this to do battery pulls when in fact my Storm is working fine otherwise.

very, very frustrating...
    02-07-09 07:21 PM
    Here is the error as it appears in the log:

Name: profiles
    GUID: 60e86600a0af3a48
    Time: Feb 07, 2009 20:13:51
    AlertEngine: playerUpdate - error : java.lang.Exception: file:///system/samples/ringtones/BBPro_Sanguine.m4a.rem - javax.microedition.media.MediaException: Error initializing media.
    02-07-09 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD