Ok... I hear all about the different radio files between the OSes and am wondering the following.

What is the difference between a radio file and a PRL update? I am on Verizon and they always tell me to update (*228) my PRL file to get better reception. But I read here that there are some radio files which get better reception than others.

So which update is the real difference? radio file or PRL update?
    07-06-10 02:26 PM
    Radio file is the term for the core of the OS.

The other is a cdma thing that applies to all VZW phones.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-10 03:22 PM
    Ok... I hear all about the different radio files between the OSes and am wondering the following.

What is the difference between a radio file and a PRL update? I am on Verizon and they always tell me to update (*228) my PRL file to get better reception. But I read here that there are some radio files which get better reception than others.

So which update is the real difference? radio file or PRL update?
    The PRL (preferred roaming list) tells the handset which CDMA towers it can connect to and trade off too, which can result in better coverage if towers are added in your location since the last PRL version.

The radio file only affects the handset's hardware by adjusting the antenna gain and keeping it locked on to a lesser signal better. It does not affect which towers the handset can connect to.
    07-06-10 03:22 PM
    In backing up and reloading an OS, is the most recent PRL data preserved?

07-06-10 08:07 PM
    In backing up and reloading an OS, is the most recent PRL data preserved?

Sure is. Dial "#4357*" and hit send. This will tell you all sorts of goodies including your current PRL. VZW's most recent PRL is 51920. Some say *228 option 2 after a reload helps, but the PRL version is preserved after reloading so it may just be placebo.
    07-06-10 09:00 PM
    Its like changing your batteries in your smoke detectors when you change your clocks for me.

It is preserved but could stand to be updated anyway. If you update you are ensured that you are up to date.

See I didnt update last time I changed my Os and I am on 51919.....my smoke detectors probably dead too......

Last edited by blaisedinsd; 07-06-10 at 11:24 PM.
    07-06-10 11:21 PM
    Thanks everyone for your insight. Enjoy the weekend!
    07-09-10 04:57 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD