i cant find an OTA download! the first that i found (on a forum search) was some b.s. 'screen capture' app and the second- it appears as though the site has been removed.

any suggestions?

also- i just figured out how to view the 'memory'. it was down to like 20... so i did a battery pull and it increased to 34. after about an hour or so, it jumped to 39.... but it dropped to 33.

(1) is it normal for the available memory to fluctuate?
    (2) will quickpull free up memory in lieu of a daily battery pull? (if i ever find a link)
    02-20-09 08:43 PM
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f134/bl...thread-107305/

1. It's been normal to have memory leaks.. For some more extreme. Might depend on what apps you have.

2. Quickpull will act as a battery pull and probably restore your app memory to its max and then leak some.. link above.. search for quickpull
    02-20-09 08:49 PM
    thank you for the info- but i DID search for an OTA for quickpull without any success.
    02-20-09 09:10 PM
    I didn't mean search.. I meant click on the link and find (alt-f) "quickpull" on the thread I provided.
    02-20-09 09:13 PM
    thank you for the info- but i DID search for an OTA for quickpull without any success.
    It took me a while to find it as well. Some of the settings on your BB may need changing to make it work once you download the app.
    02-20-09 09:15 PM
    You may want to read through this thread: (My Strategy for Battery Pulls)

I am on BES and jacked up the BES connection when I changed my email settings. I had to have the IT fellow delet me out and reenter my info. It took him 30 seconds to a minute but they are usually not happy when I cause them more work. The good news is quickpull and my BES is fine now.
    02-20-09 09:27 PM
    It took me a while to find it as well. Some of the settings on your BB may need changing to make it work once you download the app.
    You may want to read through this thread: (My Strategy for Battery Pulls)

I am on BES and jacked up the BES connection when I changed my email settings. I had to have the IT fellow delet me out and reenter my info. It took him 30 seconds to a minute but they are usually not happy when I cause them more work. The good news is quickpull and my BES is fine now.
    Can you let us know what your permission settings are, or how you made it work? I could'nt get Quickpull to work for the last couple days. Been reading through all the threads on it, and nobody has a definite answer. I read through the thread you point to, and unless I missed something I don't remember seeing a fix in there, besides setting the email setup applications permissions to ALLOW. But is'nt that what caused you problems? It was also advised against by Zaventh in another thread.
    02-20-09 09:34 PM
    Yes that is where I stepped into the quicksand. The email setting (I guess) for BES set on my BB read "custom" on the first two areas under my email settings. I changed them to allow. Quickpull then worked like a top. The bad news was my calendar and work email was lost.

I thought I would change the settings back to custom because I needed my work email and calendar more than quickpull. That was not a solution due to there lack of a "custom" choice anymore. I guess the setting was placed there by the BES work books and security settings.

I visited the IT dept. the next morning and had them try to reset my password so could reactivate the BES but could not. They had to remove my info and then reenter it. After activating the enterprise connection both quickpull and my work email, MMS, and calendar worked.

I checked the email settings and they were still set at "allow".

I hope this helps. My best advise is buy the IT BES guy lunch every once in a while.
    Last edited by Dragon_Rider; 02-20-09 at 09:55 PM.
    02-20-09 09:49 PM
    Thanks, I'll give the email settings a try. I'm on BIS though, so not sure if it will be the same fix. I'm a little hesitant to set them to allow since Zaventh advised against it though.

I'll open up my Quickpull permissons, and default permissions, and try to post them back here. Can we match it up to yours, to see exactly what the culprit is?
    02-20-09 09:58 PM
    Thanks, I'll give the email settings a try. I'm on BIS though, so not sure if it will be the same fix. I'm a little hesitant to set them to allow since Zaventh advised against it though.

I'll open up my Quickpull permissons, and default permissions, and try to post them back here. Can we match it up to yours, to see exactly what the culprit is?
    I set all of the quickpull and email permission settings to allow. I have two email accounts on BIS and they were not affected.
    02-20-09 10:02 PM
    Just an added note: after reading post here for four months, I have learned that our Storms are fickle. They sometimes act one way and the another.
    02-20-09 10:04 PM
    Okay, thanks!
    Is'nt that a little dangerous though? In one of the 'quickpull' threads, Zaventh advised against setting them all to allow, because it would allow any app to access everything.
    02-20-09 10:05 PM
    Okay, thanks!
    Is'nt that a little dangerous though? In one of the 'quickpull' threads, Zaventh advised against setting them all to allow, because it would allow any app to access everything.
    I only run two 3rd party apps. Poynt and quickpull.

That is good advise though. It is hard being a newbie, but as my father told me when a was a young lad. "If you are going to be stupid you have got to be tough."

I am stupid at times.
    Last edited by Dragon_Rider; 02-20-09 at 10:10 PM.
    02-20-09 10:08 PM
    I have been running every version of QuickPull (even the betas that aren't available anymore) on my storm since launch day without a problem. The only change that I had to do to the default permissions was change input simulation to allow. Also, Zaventh did say that setting everything to allow would give other apps free access to your device.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 10:22 PM
    I have been running every version of QuickPull (even the betas that aren't available anymore) on my storm since launch day without a problem. The only change that I had to do to the default permissions was change input simulation to allow. Also, Zaventh did say that setting everything to allow would give other apps free access to your device.

Thank you. I see now where my "custom" setting was established.

What would you advise to set to deny?
    02-20-09 10:29 PM

Thanks for the info, I'll give it a try!
    I was reading a older thread on quickpull where you mentioned that when you run quickpull manually, there is a message that pops up saying it needs to be reset to allow completion of a module, or something close to that, and that is how it runs. So when you run it manually, that error message should always show up? How would that affect the scheduled pulls?
    02-20-09 10:43 PM
    I was reading a older thread on quickpull where you mentioned that when you run quickpull manually, there is a message that pops up saying it needs to be reset to allow completion of a module, or something close to that, and that is how it runs. So when you run it manually, that error message should always show up? How would that affect the scheduled pulls?
    Can you let us know if this works for you?
    02-20-09 10:49 PM
    The reboot question will be taken care of programmatically if you schedule the pull. But after the pull, there will be another question prompt for the SIM card. That one I don't know how to bypass it. I have already set network to 1XEV and have already disabled compatibility mode. But I still have to click "no" to close the prompt every single time after the pull. This might be something you have to live with.
    02-20-09 10:52 PM

I have Quick Pull working on my Storm by setting all of "Quick Pull" and "Email Setup" permissions to allow. These are permissions that apply specifically to these two applications not all applications, I can't see how these settings will allow other applications free access to the device since each application has its own permissions. I think he may have been referring to the danger of setting "all" application permissions to allow not just these two specific applications.
    02-20-09 11:06 PM
    You can get QuickPull from the CrackBerry Store. Here's the link to QuickPull as of 2/20/09:

CrackBerryAppStore.com

~X

02-20-09 11:18 PM
    What QuickPull does is a simulated installation. When you open the app, it will ask you if you want to restart. When you hit yes, it will install a module called bootfile. Then it will bring up a screen asking if you want to restart now or later with a part saying Notice 1 of 5. If you say later this number will increase for every module that is installed by QuickPull. But this will reset when you do the restart or if you delete the modules.

02-20-09 11:42 PM
    I have Quick Pull working on my Storm by setting all of "Quick Pull" and "Email Setup" permissions to allow. These are permissions that apply specifically to these two applications not all applications, I can't see how these settings will allow other applications free access to the device since each application has its own permissions. I think he may have been referring to the danger of setting "all" application permissions to allow not just these two specific applications.
    What Zaventh was referring to was editing the main default permissions on the device and not the default permissions for QuickPull specifically. When most people were going back and changing their permissions they were going to the wrong default permissions to make the changes. This was posted by Zaventh as only a warning before making the mistake.

02-20-09 11:45 PM
    Okay, I downloaded it again and went through installation. I got the prompt before the download starts that says Quickpull wants to adjust permissions. I clicked on "view" to look at it, and then hit the escape key. Got it downloaded and choose RUN to run it once. Got the confirmation question of if I was sure I wanted to reset, clicked YES and then got prompted with the message about Quickpull needing to be reset to complete module installation, and if you want to reboot now or later. I chose REBOOT NOW. Quickpull ran through the reset and was back up.

I then tried it again, but this time choosing to schedule the app to run a couple minutes from then. Set the time and waited. It ran through with no problems, and I did'nt experience that SIM card prompt substring mentioned. So it seems like it's working good so far. I'll go through this a couple more times to make sure.

So, to help out other's looking for answers for this, when you run Quickpull manually, you will always get the message prompt about Quickpull needing to rebooted, with the options of REBOOT NOW or REBOOT LATER? Just making sure because I always get it, and I know other's have been reporting it as en error in older threads, but maybe we were all just unsure of how it's supposed to work. The scheduler ran good for me without having to deal with that prompt.

Here's my permission settings:

-Quickpull Permissions-
    Connections - Custom
    -USB = Allow
    -Bluetooth = Allow
    -Phone = Prompt
    -Location Data = Prompt
    -Internet = Prompt

Interactions - Custom
    -Cross Application Communication = Allow
    -Device Settings = Allow
    -Media = Allow
    -Application Management = Allow
    -Themes = Allow
    -Input Simulation = Allow (BOLD)
    -Browser Filtering = Deny
    -Recording = Deny
    -Security Timer Reset = Allow (BOLD)

User Data - Allow
    -Email = Allow
    -Organizer Data = Allow
    -Files = Allow
    -Security Data = Allow

*No changes were made since the installation when Quickpull requests them to be made before you start the download.*
    .................................................. ..................

-Default Permissions-
    Connections - Custom
    -USB = Allow
    -Bluetooth = Allow
    -Phone = Prompt
    -Location Data = Prompt
    -Server Network = Prompt
    -Internet = Prompt

Interactions - Custom
    -Cross Application Communication = Allow
    -Device settings = Allow
    -Media = Allow
    -Application Management = Allow
    -Themes = Allow
    -Input Simulation = Allow
    -Browser Filtering = Deny
    -Recording = Deny
    -Security Timer Reset = Deny

User Data - Allow
    -Email = Allow
    -Organizer Data = Allow
    -Files = Allow
    -Security Data = Allow
    02-20-09 11:47 PM
    What QuickPull does is a simulated installation. When you open the app, it will ask you if you want to restart. When you hit yes, it will install a module called bootfile. Then it will bring up a screen asking if you want to restart now or later with a part saying Notice 1 of 5. If you say later this number will increase for every module that is installed by QuickPull. But this will reset when you do the restart or if you delete the modules.

Thank you, that is great info to know!

What Zaventh was referring to was editing the main default permissions on the device and not the default permissions for QuickPull specifically. When most people were going back and changing their permissions they were going to the wrong default permissions to make the changes. This was posted by Zaventh as only a warning before making the mistake.

When I go to Options>Advanced Options>Applications>Email Setup Application and click the menu button to bring up the menu, there's only an option to edit the "Default Permissions" which I believe governs the whole device? Maybe that is where people were messing up, because I remember someone mentioning to go there, and set alll three settings to 'Allow', which would end up making the device open to all apps. When I highlight Quickpull, there is options to "edit permissions" (specific to app) along with "Edit Default Permissions" (whole device). I think I got this right, hopefully it can help out others.
    02-20-09 11:57 PM
    When you highlight the Email Setup App in the Applications List, do you have two Edit Options? Edit permissions, and Edit Default Permissions, or just Edit Default Permissions?
    02-21-09 12:00 AM
34 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD