Hello,

So I finally got my BlackBerry Storm (9530) four days ago from Telus, and then I noticed the infamous screen wobble. I am obviously bothered by , and am considering taking it back for a replacement since I am well within my 30 day trial. My only concern is that I will get a device that is even more flawed, so I wanted to better understand if my wobble is really bad or if it is relatively normal and I am picky. Some say it wobbles a lot, while others say it only wobbles as much as it should considering it is a button. Some say their first was very wobbly and others their replacement screens barely moved. Some say the replacements were just as bad. So I am trying to understand how much is too much, and how much is normal? For example when I scroll in portrait or landscape, my screen will move up hit the top part of the casing, and then slide back down knocking against the bottom part of the casing loud enough to make a small thud. I also would really rather not use one of the numerous innovative "fixes," only because this is an expensive device and four days old. If it was maybe a year or two old, I would accept that it needed a little tinkering; but to do it while it is still so brand new is very disheartening. So could everyone be so kind as to describe in detail how much their screen moves? Thank you so much in advance, I really appreciate the help .
    03-25-09 12:41 PM
    Mine moves slightly but certainly not as much as you described. It sounds like what you have is unacceptable and cause for a replacement to me. When mine moves it does not thud against the casing, it clicks slightly and is not detectable unless I use a decent amount of pressure (ie doesn't happen during scrolling, I have to hold it down as I would while clicking rather than just touching to make it move).

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 12:44 PM
    there is nothing wrong with wobble. if it did not wobble it would not click at all.
    03-25-09 01:11 PM
    Thanks for the informative reply zazzified.. out of curiosity did you do any of the "tweaks" or "fixes" like the business card/screw loosening, or was it like that out of the box? Also did you get it replaced or was it golden from the start? Also how is your clicking is it uniform and responsive?
    03-25-09 01:29 PM
    mine moves a little when typing or my finger swipes it with a little pressure. When I flick it 180degrees from landscape to landscape it doesn't thud from edge to edge. I can see some light leak but mainly from angling
    The unit. Clicking is pretty uniform throughout.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-25-09 02:02 PM
    there is nothing wrong with wobble. if it did not wobble it would not click at all.
    Not strictly true. Mine doesn't wobble at all. If I press the screen down VERY hard and move my finger, it will move SLIGHTLY.

But definitely no thud or click as I scroll. Sounds to me like you should replace it.
    03-25-09 03:20 PM
    my first one from Verizon had very little movement, almost undetectable. My replacement has a little more "wiggle room" but it's not very noticeable. It has such remarkably better battery life that I can forgive the little wobble it does have.

Sounds like you should take yours back.
    03-25-09 03:32 PM
    Thank you Juliank, The_Fuzz22 and motrv8d for the informative and insightful posts, they are greatly appreciated. So today I went into the Telus store, and there were only two reps working and they both had storms, and they were both using the business card trick. That is literally what they told me to do, and one of them even did it to my Storm and well needless to say the screen is flawless. Clicks perfectly and no thuds. They then still offered to replace it if I wanted, so we opened up two boxes and took out fresh Storms and they were all the same. Bad click a lot of movement, and the rep said that it is normal. So can I get some feedback from any Telus clients with the Storm? Is this actually how our phones are, or am I just cursed with horrible luck? I do not even know what to do anymore. I am still very unsatisfied, the way my phone is now with the business card trick is how I imagined it would be out of the box, but it seems out of the box none of them come like that. I love this little device, so much but the screen is bothersome. Should I try elsewhere for a replacement, or what? Again could I get some feedback from Telus clients? Thanks again.
    03-26-09 12:00 AM
    yea take it back if its that bad
    03-26-09 12:29 AM
    I recomend taking out the business card and losing the screws you have to be careful with the warranty sticker as you need to put it back in its place so that your warranty isnt void
    03-26-09 12:51 AM
    Mine has very minimal movement, not enough to make the thud though. I used the felt pad trick for a while, but just for fun I took it out and really haven't missed it not being there.
    03-26-09 12:59 AM
    Yup I know of all these fixes, but like I said I find it disheartening that it comes to that for such a brand new device, maybe if it was a year or two in I wouldn't mind. I think I am going to wait a while longer maybe for a fresh shipment or something, and then try again. I refuse to give up on my Storm, because it is just otherwise so amazing!! But again thank you for the advice .
    Last edited by nahtuhc; 03-26-09 at 01:06 AM.
    03-26-09 01:00 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD