I've been lurking this forum for a year or two now since I got my Storm 1.

I have to say thank you for all the information you guys have given me. I'm by no means a expert, but, I have successfully updated my OS on several occasions and with all the info I get from you, I've been able to tweak and customize my Storm to the point where I'm just in love with it.

With that being said.... I have a problem.

My data port is shot. It will no longer charge the battery or connect to my computer in way shape or form. I see storm 1's on ebay for around $ 100 but funds availability for me right now is kinda tight, plus I'm a cheap b@%$erd anyway. so my question...

If I buy a blackberry (any model) off a third party do I just have to swap the sim cards and I'm good to go ? or is there something I should look for ? like the phone should come from the same carrier ?

What's the procedure for changing phones ?
    10-01-10 08:52 AM
    I'm on wap so can't see what carrier you're with but Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. You will need to buy a Verizon branded phone if you want it to work, no others will work.

Now if you're using it on a GSM carrier then yes, just about any phone that uses SiM cards will work.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-01-10 09:08 AM
    I'm on Verizon and I believe I do have a Sim card.
    10-01-10 09:18 AM
    Yep, you do have a SIM card, but Verizon doesn't use them. Take it out and see if your phone works. The 95XX and 96XX on Verizon are considered "World Phones" meaning they have both a CDMA (Verizon) and GSM (Att, Tmobile, most of the world) so you're able to unlock the phone and use it on GSM networks. But here in the US the phone uses Verizon's CDMA network, which doesn't use SIM cards.

Verizon like most other big CDMA networks (Sprint) won't allow phones that aren't theirs on their network. So you will need a Verizon branded phone to use on Verizon, no ifs, ans, or buts about it...
    10-01-10 09:33 AM
    well that makes sense. just like everything else Verizon does. Thanks for the info
    10-01-10 09:45 AM
    To complete the question: if you buy a Verizon branded storm on ebay (they are indeed cheap, you can even find a nice s2 for under $200) then so long as it's not stolen all you need to do is activate it under your account and it becomes yours. Be sure to buy from a reputable seller. The SIM card is irrelevant for use on CDMA networks, VZ doesn't even keep track of them until you call to set up international service for your account.
    10-01-10 10:26 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD