I got the bb storm yesterday, had it for 2 hrs then returned it. It wasnt a bad phone. Actually, it was freakin awesome...but txting is what killed it for me. Im a fast txter. my current phone is an LG EnV and I can just GO on that. My question is, as a fast txter, did I do the right thing by returning the phone? the autotxt was killing me. Did any other fast txters get the hang of txting on the BB storm? i might go back in get it in a week...not today so I wont look crazy LOL!
    05-29-09 02:45 PM
    WOW! Im sorry but not even a week is long enough to properly test a new device.

BTW, you can disable autotext
    05-29-09 02:47 PM
    I got the bb storm yesterday, had it for 2 hrs then returned it. It wasnt a bad phone. Actually, it was freakin awesome...but txting is what killed it for me. Im a fast txter. my current phone is an LG EnV and I can just GO on that. My question is, as a fast txter, did I do the right thing by returning the phone? the autotxt was killing me. Did any other fast txters get the hang of txting on the BB storm? i might go back in get it in a week...not today so I wont look crazy LOL!

Well to be honest you aren't going to learn typing on it in 2 hours...

I can type roughly 40 words per minute on the storm..

I assume that I will get up to around 60 wpm on the tour when I get it.

I had less trouble learning the storm because I came from the iPhone already so touch wasn't new to me but learning surepress definitely took a few days.

If you like a keyboard on a device hang out for the tour. But the Storm can be a quick typer if you learn it.
    05-29-09 02:48 PM
    Well to be honest you aren't going to learn typing on it in 2 hours...

I can type roughly 40 words per minute on the storm..

I assume that I will get up to around 60 wpm on the tour when I get it.

I had less trouble learning the storm because I came from the iPhone already so touch wasn't new to me but learning surepress definitely took a few days.

If you like a keyboard on a device hang out for the tour. But the Storm can be a quick typer if you learn it.
    lol i wasnt the actually typing that was the problem, it was the autotxt and the mistakes i kept making. You couldnt really see where the blue highlight was in landscape mode and in portrait mode im used to the keys looking like "abc" "def" not "as" "df" "gh" so I was about to have a heartattack lol. If the portrait mode came in "abc" "def" mode (whatever that may be called) i would have kept the phone 4 sure. Like I said, I LOVED the phone, I just hated how the texting worked.
    05-29-09 02:51 PM
    My typing sucked horribly on the Storm until I figured out just how the heck SureType works. After that, I've been flying.
    05-29-09 02:52 PM
    lol i wasnt the actually typing that was the problem, it was the autotxt and the mistakes i kept making. You couldnt really see where the blue highlight was in landscape mode and in portrait mode im used to the keys looking like "abc" "def" not "as" "df" "gh" so I was about to have a heartattack lol. If the portrait mode came in "abc" "def" mode (whatever that may be called) i would have kept the phone 4 sure. Like I said, I LOVED the phone, I just hated how the texting worked.
    You can configure it to use Multitap ("abc" "def") instead of SureType in Portrait.
    05-29-09 02:53 PM
    WOW! Im sorry but not even a week is long enough to properly test a new device.

BTW, you can disable autotext
    I didn't have a week, I had 3 days to get a refund or I'd be stuck with it and possibly have carpal tunnel lol. I disabled auto text 3 times and it didnt work :shrugs: my main question is for fast txters. when u transitioned to this phone, did the txting get better over time or are u still having issues. That will be what will make me get the phone and stick with it, or possibly wait for something else of see how the bb storm 2 works.
    05-29-09 02:53 PM
    Upgrading the OS will improve your editing skills tremendously. Lot easier to get the cursor where you want it.

Turn the autotext off if you dont like it.
    05-29-09 02:55 PM
    You can configure it to use Multitap ("abc" "def") instead of SureType in Portrait.
    really?! how? if u can tell me how I'll stick with the phone lol Suretype was the devil. Then I'd mess up a word, it would correct it, but if i backed up to the word again, it was change back to the incorrect word lol
    Updating your OS will allow you to type on full keyboard in portrait as well which may help. I would read through the Storm Forums thoroughly and make sure its something yoou really want before you decide to go back and get it again.

Also was this your first Berry?
    Honestly, if 2 hours is your patience/learning curve time frame, you made the right decision. Just stick with the LG.

Grey
    05-29-09 02:57 PM
    I didn't have a week, I had 3 days to get a refund or I'd be stuck with it and possibly have carpal tunnel lol. I disabled auto text 3 times and it didnt work :shrugs: my main question is for fast txters. when u transitioned to this phone, did the txting get better over time or are u still having issues. That will be what will make me get the phone and stick with it, or possibly wait for something else of see how the bb storm 2 works.
    Thats really weird. You can also delete all auto text so they wont come up i believe. Does take some time getting used to.
    really?! how? if u can tell me how I'll stick with the phone lol Suretype was the devil. Then I'd mess up a word, it would correct it, but if i backed up to the word again, it was change back to the incorrect word lol
    Options >> Screen/Keyboard >> set "Portrait View Keyboard" to Multitap.
    Upgrading the OS will improve your editing skills tremendously. Lot easier to get the cursor where you want it.

Turn the autotext off if you dont like it.
    I might wait til the sunday update and see how people are saying it improved the device, then decide. Yes this was my first blackberry. Suretype & that "as" "df" "gh" txting style have always been a pain for me but since I thought I'd be using landscape mode most of the time, I was like whatever, until landscape became a pain. lol
    05-29-09 02:58 PM
    You can't even get used to any phone in 2 hours. Personally my speed on the storm got very quick. If you tweak the settings you can type very fast. Another thing, why wouldn't you even give it a week?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-29-09 02:58 PM
    Texting gets much better. Its not yet as fast as a standard phone but with each update there's less lag. It takes some time to get used to. I now can't Tope on a standard phone to save my life. I honestly would have considered asking before you returned it but if you decide to purchase it again give it some time. Honestly the phone wasn't the problem, minus the lag, I was initially. Its hard to comletely change your way of thinking when it comes to texting.

05-29-09 03:00 PM
    I might wait til the sunday update and see how people are saying it improved the device, then decide. Yes this was my first blackberry. Suretype & that "as" "df" "gh" txting style have always been a pain for me but since I thought I'd be using landscape mode most of the time, I was like whatever, until landscape became a pain. lol
    You dont have to wait till Sunday. They are releasing .148 which has been out for awhile and is great. Even better when you run it with Lyricidal's hybrid and Shrink-A-OS
    05-29-09 03:00 PM
    Honestly, if 2 hours is your patience/learning curve time frame, you made the right decision. Just stick with the LG.

Grey
    true. I mean I wasnt trying to figure out the phone in those 2 hours, I was trying to finish a txt in less that a min. I mean going from 15-20 secs to type something out to a min or more was just to me lol maybe im just a physical keyboard type of person. I was thinking about getting the LG Versa since it does the same thing as bb storm but also has a full qwerty keyboard...but it's so...bulky lol
    05-29-09 03:01 PM
    You can't even get used to any phone in 2 hours. Personally my speed on the storm got very quick. If you tweak the settings you can type very fast. Another thing, why wouldn't you even give it a week?

I only had 3 days to get a refund after buying it. If I returned it after that verizon would have charged me 150 to get out of my 2 yr contract and get a new phone....and I wasnt having that. Usually I give me phones time, but I always have LG phones and they are formatted the same. This was my first bb and like I said, the phone was great but the touch screen typing was killing me
    05-29-09 03:04 PM
    Wow, two hours is not enough time to transition to he new screen. The upcoming OS update will give it a full keyboard in portrait which you could like if you have med to small hands. If you're a gorilla, then no.

Also, the current portrait keyboard is SureType, not Multitap like you're used to. The secret to SureType is to STOP READING THE SCREEN WHILE YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF TYPING A WORD. Honestly, don't do it. Stare at the keyboard while you type and hit each of the letters (don't concentrate on the keys) that make up the word. The SureType logic will keep changing the word to match various words until you hit SPACE and it picks the best match. Think of it this way. If you type Cat, SureType (until you hit space) will interpret that as cat, cater, catherine, caterpillar, etc. Basically any word in its dictionary that starts with the letters on the screen. In some cases, SureType will even spell out another word that migh be made up by the "other" letter on each key you hit. The rule is, you don't make corrections as type the word, but after (if necessary) with SureType.it takes a little to get used to, but once you get the idea, it'll be quick. You just have to retrain your brain a little.

BTW, all this was typed on Portrait QWERTY in a couple of minutes.

Last edited by JRSCCivic98; 05-29-09 at 03:07 PM.
    05-29-09 03:05 PM
    Texting gets much better. Its not yet as fast as a standard phone but with each update there's less lag. It takes some time to get used to. I now can't Tope on a standard phone to save my life. I honestly would have considered asking before you returned it but if you decide to purchase it again give it some time. Honestly the phone wasn't the problem, minus the lag, I was initially. Its hard to comletely change your way of thinking when it comes to texting.

right! I mean, with my EnV I'm on a roll txting but with the storm I was spending more time correcting the autotxt or fixing mistakes it didnt catch. I kept pressing the wrong letter although my finger was right on top of it. idk...im torn. having buyers & returners remorse lol
    05-29-09 03:06 PM
    right! I mean, with my EnV I'm on a roll txting but with the storm I was spending more time correcting the autotxt or fixing mistakes it didnt catch. I kept pressing the wrong letter although my finger was right on top of it. idk...im torn. having buyers & returners remorse lol
    takes time to adapt for sure. But if you don't see it as worth it, then for you, it probably wasnt.

I mean the main thing here is enjoying your phone right? So if you weren't comfortable with it (getting frustrated) then you're probably better off

remember the grass is always greener
    05-29-09 03:10 PM
    Wow, two hours is not enough time to transition to he new screen. The upcoming OS update will give it a full keyboard in portrait which you could like if you have med to small hands. If you're a gorilla, then no.

Also, the current portrait keyboard is SureType, not Multitap like you're used to. The secret to SureType is to STOP READING THE SCREEN WHILE YOU'RE IN THE MIDDLE OF TYPING A WORD. Honestly, don't do it. Stare at the keyboard while you type and hit each of the letters (don't concentrate on the keys) that make up the word. The SureType logic will keep changing the word to match various words until you hit SPACE and it picks the best match. Think of it this way. If you type Cat, SureType (until you hit space) will interpret that as cat, cater, catherine, caterpillar, etc. Basically any word in its dictionary that starts with the letters on the screen. In some cases, SureType will even spell out another word that migh be made up by the "other" letter on each key you hit. The rule is, you don't make corrections as type the word, but after (if necessary) with SureType.it takes a little to get used to, but once you get the idea, it'll be quick. You just have to retrain your brain a little.

BTW, all this was typed on Portrait QWERTY in a couple of minutes.

LOL @ gorilla. My fingers are med but I guess since im used to typing on a full qwerty keyboard, when I'd press down the screen, my other thumb would already be on the next letter in a word and I'd click that letter by mistake. And i didnt like when the word would pop up, I like doing the work and thinking for myself. I know 2 hrs is not long enough for a new phone but I was not about to lose $150. the sad thing was i got the phone itself for only 149 and thats a DEAL. this is terrible. I can't wait til I buy my first house
    05-29-09 03:14 PM
    Another good thing about the Storm (or Rims for that matter) predictive text is that it learns your typing habits. So certain terms or words that you like to use (that are actual words) will be remembered and it will assume that is the word you are typing.

But if you want a physical qwerty keyboard, then you better wait for the Tour or get the curve.
    05-29-09 03:17 PM
    takes time to adapt for sure. But if you don't see it as worth it, then for you, it probably wasnt.

I mean the main thing here is enjoying your phone right? So if you weren't comfortable with it (getting frustrated) then you're probably better off

remember the grass is always greener
    very true. This seriously was the only phone I've ever had that made me sick to my stomach trying to figure it out lol maybe it was bc im new to the whole BB thing but to me txting should be easy, and it wasnt. Nothing but rumor is surrounding the Storm 2 right now, so I might just wait til the end of the yr for it to come out and see if i like the updates. And maybe touch screen just isnt the way for me to go right now. Ah well, I sure did look good with it...bwahahaha! Thanks for ur responses guys & gals
    05-29-09 03:18 PM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD