Im looking into getting a blackberry 9530, someone please tell me if its worth it for what I need/want it to do or is there a better option for me. HELP!!!!

internet browser
    theter to my laptop for internet usage (uploading photos to my website)
    track my appoints and schedule
    phone
    text

This is just a few of the things I can think of Im sure there are others. Ive got verizon cell service with an air card and Im wanting to lower my bill. If I can cancel the air card that will save me 30 bucks a month, right now every little bit helps as Im sure everybody knows.

thanks again!
    06-24-09 03:38 PM
    Im looking into getting a blackberry 9530, someone please tell me if its worth it for what I need/want it to do or is there a better option for me. HELP!!!!

internet browser
    theter to my laptop for internet usage (uploading photos to my website)
    track my appoints and schedule
    phone
    text

This is just a few of the things I can think of Im sure there are others. Ive got verizon cell service with an air card and Im wanting to lower my bill. If I can cancel the air card that will save me 30 bucks a month, right now every little bit helps as Im sure everybody knows.

thanks again!
    My .02...this sounds like a job for Bold. On the other hand (I have different fingers) but beyond that, you might consider reading the threads on the 9530 to see others thoughts on that particular model.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-24-09 03:47 PM
    I love my Storm 9530. FYI if you do cancel your air card you will still have to pay $30 a month for the data plan for the BB. I use my Storm for internet browser all the time and like the different options and customizations you can do with the browswer which is something the iphone can't do. Tethering is nice but I have never done it but its nice to know i can if I have to. The calendar in my opinion is great. It keeps track of everything I need to do and there are a bunch of different settings for it which is nice. I like how it also integrates with events from facebook. The phone works fine along with the contact list and the cell reception and service is great. The phone portion is a little laggy from time to time but not enough to annoy me or anything. Texting is great on the phone & it will be even better when there is threaded SMS with the 5.0 update. Also unlike the iphone you can send MMS for picture messages, video messages, voice messages etc...Good luck..
    06-24-09 03:59 PM
    Reality is that you likely won't save any because Verizon's MOBILE BROADBAND CONNECT 5GB plan for tethering is also around $30/month; and you must have the blackberry data plan, which is another $30 and not optional, IIRC.

As far as tethering, I use it daily in my work ... it works as advertised and works much better with my Storm than the same plan did with the Verizon's laptop USB broadband modem ... actually, MUCH better, no comparison!

As far as the 9530 itself, I find it a very useful, if not perfect device, and it is also a phone <gasp!>. Considering it is first generation, there is much untapped potential.

Beware of online forum's BS about the phone as it got a relatively bad reception upon launch; one which has since been blown all out of proportion to reality ... just keep firmly in mind the large number of bored kids, and the immature with agendas, playing at being informed and that frequent these types of forums.

What seems to be a deciding factor with most folks new to BB's, and a basic nature of the beast, is the need to type on one.

I choose the Storm initially because of its QWERTY keyboard in landscape mode, as I simply could not type well on any other BB's physical keyboard. Now, after six months, I rarely have to break out the laptop for even the longest replies to e-mail.

You will certainly want to try a "typing test" before before deciding upon any BB.

What I wasn't expecting is, that after a few months use, one of my favorite things about the Storm now is its multimedia, TV, movies, video podcast, picture taking capabilities ... I find myself using the Storm instead of the laptop to watch video podcasts like Cranky Geeks, etc, as the screen resolution is truly astounding and the convenience is hard to beat. I use the camera daily to take pictures of construction progress, and, since the recent OS update to version .148, I no longer even bother with a digital camera. Did I mention that you can also make phone calls on it!?

Personally, I'm happy with the Storm, but you really need to do some personal, hands on research before you decide ... it is a very personal preference/decision.

Forgot to mention ... I've carried a Dell XPS M1210 around for the last three years, simply can't leave home without it in my business... amazingly, and since the Storm came along, I rarely ever remove the laptop from it's case during a business day. Granted, a lot of that is due to it simply being a BB, but ...
    Last edited by karlac; 06-24-09 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention ...
    06-24-09 05:30 PM
    i use my storm for all of that and it works flawlessly.

the question is, are you familiar with the blackberry? some people complain about the browser, but IMO for mobile sites, it works fine. and blackberries are the best "phones" for calling i've ever owned.

i txt the **** out of this device, BBM, other I.M. clients, pump out emails all day. i'd say give it a try and see if you like the touch screen.

and tethering with VZW on Rev. A is amazing.

but if you're uploading/downloading a lot of large files. idk what resolution and stuff you have your pix, if they're big you might want to reconsider the tethering idea, or pay overages over 5GB. i have a friend who is a photographer and her pix come out to be rather large files if they're not compressed or cropped or anything.

if you have specific questions, you can email me [email protected], i'd be happy to answer 'em for ya.
    06-24-09 06:06 PM
    I'm a photographer and I use my storm for all the things you list, except the uploading part, and I think the Storm is perfect for it. In regards to the uploading of photographs, if your referring to images with a resolution suitable for the web (like 72 dpi), the Storm would be fine. As you know, those are pretty small files. If your talking about uploading 300 dpi images, that clients or print houses might download for printing...no way. Those files can range in the 6 to 20 megs, depending on the camera and the printing needs. But, I would say that no phone would be good for those purposes.
    06-24-09 06:35 PM
    Thank you all for answering my questions. It means alot when you dont get some jacka** that gives a smart a** answer like happens on most forums. Im leaning more more towards getting a BB but keeping my air card too.......
    06-25-09 10:32 AM
    Omfg, stfu n00b! Use the search!

Sorry, couldn't resist

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    06-25-09 10:56 AM
    Thank you all for answering my questions. It means alot when you dont get some jacka** that gives a smart a** answer like happens on most forums. Im leaning more more towards getting a BB but keeping my air card too.......
    Patches will never let you down.

I promise, you'll be given a hard time at some point.
    06-25-09 11:04 AM
    ha ha ha ha and I thought yous guys were my friends

THANKS AGAIN!
    06-25-09 11:09 AM
    Actually, I just sort of went through this talk with our Verizon Business rep in regards to the difference between an Air Card and the Blackberry Tethering option.

Basically, the cost to stick with the air card and the cost to have a Blackberry being tethered is almost the same. Assuming you are going for the unlimited time for the Aircard. The way the reps told me, tethering a BB would be about as much as the Aircard up to 5 gigs of data.

Now, coming from a Retail Catalog group, where I know your type of industry deals with large format, high quality images, going with either Tethering or the aircard will not save you much money if you are doing large file transfers. As Patches pointed out, you need a better option given the unlimited use is actually capped at 5 gigs of data.

The fine print on the Air card as well as any blackberry plan with regards to unlimited is basically 5 gigs of data per month, under the belief of normal internet usage. That is based on most e-mails and mobile based internet browsing, which most mobile internet browsing dumbs it down compared to normal web browsing to not overload the network and also not send unnecessary amount of information for a lower resolution setup like a blackberry or mobile device.

In, so far as the viewing area... The Storm's Touch Screen is much bigger than most blackberry screens if you want a little better image. Storm is also currently the only Global BB with a Camera if you need a Camera Based Global Blackberry. Otherwise, the other blackberries would work better for you than the Storm if you don't care about a larger screen for clarity or worry about global usage with camera if you are going with Verizon.

I cannot say for sure with the AT&T Blackberries, although I assume with GSM capability, even the Curves with the camera are usable outside the US, but you could also go as far as an iPhone as an alternative if you go AT&T.
    06-25-09 11:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD