Hi, this is my very first post, I come from the IPhone community but I just bought a Blackberry Storm to be able to keep in touch better with the people from work.

I bought the storm while in the caribbean, it is an unlocked phone from vodafone and I assumed it's from germany because all the menus were in german.

The thing is that I live in Venezuela, and when I called customer service (movistar) to sign up for the blackberry plan they told me that I wasn't going to be able to use the blackberry applications (bbmessenger, etc) because they don't support the storm because they currently don't sell it.....

Is this true?????, I mean, I can't believe that a person who owns a storm and needs to travel to venezuela won't be able to use it....

Thanks in advance for the help.
    Last edited by paolop_ve; 01-08-09 at 07:47 AM. Reason: Solved problem
    01-06-09 08:02 PM
    If you take a look in the Storms' How-To sub-forum you will see guides for how to get the Storm working on a different carrier than the intended. What you will need are the generic Movistar service books. I would suggest contacting Pltaylor(the author of those guides) and he can point you in the right direction.
    01-06-09 08:04 PM
    That BS. I live in the Caribbean also and the carriers here are outright LYING telling people the Storm won't work on their networks. The Storm is a Blackberry and as long as you have a blackberry data plan the phone will work.
    01-06-09 08:34 PM
    Do you think that if I tell the carrier that I have a blackberry bold (which they do sell) they'll activate the plan so I can then set up the phone?
    01-06-09 08:41 PM
    Do you think that if I tell the carrier that I have a blackberry bold (which they do sell) they'll activate the plan so I can then set up the phone?
    Yes!

Just tell them you want a Blackberry plan, they don't need to know what model you have.
    01-06-09 08:48 PM
    Are these service books something like a file that I could get from another Blackberry device that is working with movistar?

Sorry for the noobnes....
    01-06-09 09:51 PM
    It's ok. As long as the carrier (service provider) supports BlackBerry services, you should be able to use a storm. There may be SOME features that won't work (although I don't know what they might be) but as long as they support ANY BB, they should be able to give you basic Storm functionality.
    01-06-09 10:33 PM
    Hey guys, just writing to let you know that I solved this question.My phone was already unlocked, so all I needed to do was convince oneof the 10 customer service reps that I talked with that the model I had was a Bold and they activated everything. It allworking beautifully now. Thanks for all the help.
    01-08-09 07:45 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD