I am a Verizon customer about 13 months into my 2 year plan and would like to upgrade to the Storm. I am on a family plan so Im technically only paying about $15/month.

Here is my plan, will this work?

Call VW, offer to pay the ETF which will be about $110, then buy the Storm for $200, starting a new 2 yrs for my line on the family plan. I would sell my current phone on ebay to cover the ETF.

Will this work? Will VW let me do this?

Thanks
    12-10-08 08:49 AM
    I kinda had the same deal... 13 months in and whatnot. So I called the Verizon CSRs and asked them how much it was going to be to cancel because I was hoping to get a storm for the 250+rebate price by signing a new contract over my current, but couldn't. So if I'm going to shell out 500 bucks I mine as well cancel and get an iPhone. They didn't like that so they gave me the 1 year plan discount which is 300+rebate.

I also was thinking of doing the same thing you are saying as well, cancelling and just re-activating. But this turned out to work just fine. Just gotta have that silver tongue

Oh also, I get my replacement today. Yippee... goodbye screen click issues (crosses fingers)
    12-10-08 08:53 AM
    My first guess is no, I ask about something similar and was told that I would have to buy a phone at full price so I went the ebay route.
    12-10-08 08:53 AM
    I am a Verizon customer about 13 months into my 2 year plan and would like to upgrade to the Storm. I am on a family plan so Im technically only paying about $15/month.

Here is my plan, will this work?

Call VW, offer to pay the ETF which will be about $110, then buy the Storm for $200, starting a new 2 yrs for my line on the family plan. I would sell my current phone on ebay to cover the ETF.

Will this work? Will VW let me do this?

Thanks
    Do you really need it that bad??

By the time your plan is up the Storm will be awesome!

Ok this is coming from someone who got it on launch day... who am I trying to kid. Call VZW and ask away!
    12-10-08 08:59 AM
    I kinda had the same deal... 13 months in and whatnot. So I called the Verizon CSRs and asked them how much it was going to be to cancel because I was hoping to get a storm for the 250+rebate price by signing a new contract over my current, but couldn't. So if I'm going to shell out 500 bucks I mine as well cancel and get an iPhone. They didn't like that so they gave me the 1 year plan discount which is 300+rebate.

I also was thinking of doing the same thing you are saying as well, cancelling and just re-activating. But this turned out to work just fine. Just gotta have that silver tongue

Oh also, I get my replacement today. Yippee... goodbye screen click issues (crosses fingers)
    Didnt you also have to pay the early termination fee of about $100 raising the price that you actually paid for the new phone/contract to about $400?
    12-10-08 09:31 AM
    That's just a bunch of hassle it sounds like. You'd be willing to lose your number to get the phone? The primary line on any plan that pays $59.99 or higher is eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. Since this doesn't sound like it's your line, see if that person is willing to let you use their early upgrade credit. You keep your number, and they can take your upgrade when it's available in 7 months.
    12-10-08 09:32 AM
    I would check with Verizon - I have been told by many reps that you can get one upgrade every year - so I bet they would let you have an upgrade. I upgraded my original BB with Verizon after about 13 months - my son had dropped it in the sink and I took the opportunity to upgrade to a curve. They let me do it without any problems.

If ANY of the phones on your account are eligible for an upgrade, then you would be able to use that for your phone - you can switch phones around in your account however you want.

If at first you don't hear what you want, just call back, there is a huge difference among CS reps about what they are willing to do for you. The key is to just be really nice about it! And of course, you can always go into a corp. store and talk to the manager.

Good luck!
    12-10-08 09:56 AM
    That's just a bunch of hassle it sounds like. You'd be willing to lose your number to get the phone? The primary line on any plan that pays $59.99 or higher is eligible for an upgrade every 12 months. Since this doesn't sound like it's your line, see if that person is willing to let you use their early upgrade credit. You keep your number, and they can take your upgrade when it's available in 7 months.
    Ya I wouldnt do it if Id lose my number. I talked to VW they told me that all 4 lines are on 2 yr plans, no special 1 yr plan for the primary line was mentioned. If thats true then I could use the primary line upgrade for my phone, but Ive never heard that the primary line gets a new phone every year. Ill call back and see if I get a different answer.
    Thanks.
    Last edited by wmscottmc; 12-10-08 at 10:05 AM.
    12-10-08 10:00 AM
    Didnt you also have to pay the early termination fee of about $100 raising the price that you actually paid for the new phone/contract to about $400?
    I only paid the cost of the phone. Did not sign a new contract, nor did I terminate. The CSR just gave me the discount.
    12-10-08 10:00 AM
    I am the primary line on my account, I was 13 months and I ordered my Storm December 3rd for $199.00 ($50 mail in rebate waived). I could not however get them to give my wife one, we have to wait until July for her upgrade.
    12-10-08 10:08 AM
    My experience over the years with VZW is that they actually have a LOT of flexibility as to what it is possible to do.

Having said that, each individual CS rep and/or store manager may differ in how much leeway that individual will give you. Sometimes talking to 2 or 3 different people at VZW will get you 2-3 different answers.
    12-10-08 10:34 AM
    Ya I wouldnt do it if Id lose my number. I talked to VW they told me that all 4 lines are on 2 yr plans, no special 1 yr plan for the primary line was mentioned. If thats true then I could use the primary line upgrade for my phone, but Ive never heard that the primary line gets a new phone every year. Ill call back and see if I get a different answer.
    Thanks.
    The 1 year thing is called an Aunual Upgrade (I believe it's for accounts that have a base plan of 79.95 or more not the 59 the other person mentioned, BUT I could be wrong). What you get is the 2 year contract price 249 plus 50 mail in rebate, but you don't get the NE2 discount (either 50 or 100 extra off). Also that line's 2year contract starts over.
    12-10-08 10:38 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD