I currently have an iPhone 3GS and I would like to come back to the Blackberry family. Honeslty, I miss my BBM. I have been looking into getting an unlocked Storm 2 but I was wondering if it would be worth it, or if it would just bring me headaches.

Last year I had an unlocked 9530 on T-Mobile and it drove me insane. Whenever I would try to use the browser, or basically anything that used data I would drop from EDGE to edge and the only way to get EDGE back was with a battery pull.

I am just wondering if I am going to have similar issues with a Storm 2 on 9550. Searching through the forums I see some people talking about losing service books after battery pulls, not being able to use MMS, and going into a vicious EDGE to edge cycle. However, all those threads that I have read are several weeks, or even months old and I not been able to find anything recent about whether or not any of those problems were resolved.

So does anyone have a 9550 running on AT&T with minimal problems? Is it worth it? Should I maybe think about a 9520 since it's a GSM only phone?

Any answers and suggestions will be MUCH appreciated.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-11-10 11:17 AM
    The 9550 works fine. EDGE is always on and the browser is always there. The only problem is MMS. You have to manually reload the service books for MMS and if you do a reset, they disappear. So MMS would be your primary issue. If you're a heavy MMS user, this may not be the best phone for you on ATT

07-11-10 11:22 AM
    The 9550 works fine. EDGE is always on and the browser is always there. The only problem is MMS. You have to manually reload the service books for MMS and if you do a reset, they disappear. So MMS would be your primary issue. If you're a heavy MMS user, this may not be the best phone for you on ATT

MMS isn't really an issue for me. I send/receive maybe 2 MMS messages a month, if that. The only thing I would really be concerned about is constantly dropping my data connection, or losing my service books after a reboot.
    07-11-10 12:07 PM
    Nope then youre good. The way the 9550 interacts with att is different than the storm 1. Edge connection is always on and no need to manually load service books. Like i said MMS is the main prob.

07-11-10 07:27 PM
    I currently have an iPhone 3GS and I would like to come back to the Blackberry family. Honeslty, I miss my BBM. I have been looking into getting an unlocked Storm 2 but I was wondering if it would be worth it, or if it would just bring me headaches.

Last year I had an unlocked 9530 on T-Mobile and it drove me insane. Whenever I would try to use the browser, or basically anything that used data I would drop from EDGE to edge and the only way to get EDGE back was with a battery pull.

I am just wondering if I am going to have similar issues with a Storm 2 on 9550. Searching through the forums I see some people talking about losing service books after battery pulls, not being able to use MMS, and going into a vicious EDGE to edge cycle. However, all those threads that I have read are several weeks, or even months old and I not been able to find anything recent about whether or not any of those problems were resolved.

So does anyone have a 9550 running on AT&T with minimal problems? Is it worth it? Should I maybe think about a 9520 since it's a GSM only phone?

Any answers and suggestions will be MUCH appreciated.

dude you live in in swfl you need to get on the big red train,, with the alltel buyout the network is outstanding,, then the storm will not cause you any head aches trust me i live in E-wood
    07-11-10 08:03 PM
    I started with an unlocked Storm1 and am now on Storm2, running Tmobile. I am constantly on EDGE and never lose my service books. I can't speak for ATT, tho.

One good difference between Storm1 and Storm2 is that I rarely have to do a battery pull. The Storm2 has been a great phone for me.
    07-11-10 09:30 PM
    dude you live in in swfl you need to get on the big red train,, with the alltel buyout the network is outstanding,, then the storm will not cause you any head aches trust me i live in E-wood
    Ha! We're in the same county, what a coincidence!

I would jump on the Bg Red train, except I dont have much of a credit history so they want a $500 deposit from me PLUS the price of the pone. Not really an option for me at the moment.

That and I'm also locked into an AT&T family plan until January 2012, but I have the 9800 Slider to look forward to!
    07-12-10 12:53 AM
    I would stick with an AT&T branded 3G BlackBerry (9700 or the upcoming 9800 if you want a touchscreen) so you don't have to hassle with an unlocked EDGE-only Storm2 with the possibility having service books issues/problems.

Just my opinion of course.
    07-12-10 05:31 AM
    Sell your iphone! Use the money buy a good 2nd hand bb! That's what I did. Now I have a very good storm2 and extra cash went in my pocket!

07-12-10 05:39 AM
    Anything that uses data to stream will cause you to drop data and the streaming may or may not work... At first I love having my S2 on ATT, but it is starting to annoy me more and more. It holds EDGE fine otherwise. Reception is not as strong as my Bold also.

07-12-10 10:13 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD