I've noticed lately that if I have my storm sitting on a soft surface such as a bed or a car seat and I try and click the screen to turn the back light on or select anything in general it will not register anything but as soon as I pick it up it works just fine. I don't think there is anything wrong with it but I was just curious if anyone else knew or experienced what I'm talking about.
    01-12-09 06:48 PM
    Hmm i just tried it and it did register, but not super well. My theory is that it is confused as to whether it's in landscape or portrait mode, cause it not to work right.

Any other guesses?
    01-12-09 06:50 PM
    Well I am glad its not just me. I like to sit my phone on my bed while im watching tv or on the computer and its just a slight hindrance. Just making sure I didnt have a defect or something. Its strange how its flawless when its in my hand or a hard surface but as soon as its sitting on anything with some give or a cushion it struggles a little bit.
    01-12-09 07:02 PM
    I've noticed the same thing very strange

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 07:55 PM
    mine worked when i clicked on my bed and on my seat in my car.... i havent had many screen click problems as of yet
    01-12-09 08:12 PM
    Mine also clicks fine when it's on the couch or bed.
    01-13-09 12:57 AM
    I tested your finding.

Placed it on soft surface: one click
    Waited till screen went dark: no response until 5th click
    Placed it on hard surface: one click
    Placed on soft surface and waited a minute: 3 clicks

All of those test was with pointer finger clicks.

Placed on soft surface and waited a minute: 5 clicks (thumb)

Heh... that is an odd finding.

Soft surface: thick comforter on bed.
    Hard surface: desk, wood.
    01-13-09 01:10 AM
    The reason for no response with your storm on a surface is the storms screen was made to work while in your hands. If you open the battery cover you will see a about five little gold connectors, Those connectors work in conjuction with the screen to make a better user experience while in the hand it uses the Electricity in your body.
    01-13-09 01:31 AM
    The reason for no response with your storm on a surface is the storms screen was made to work while in your hands. If you open the battery cover you will see a about five little gold connectors, Those connectors work in conjuction with the screen to make a better user experience while in the hand it uses the Electricity in your body.
    That's pretty much the most ******** thing I've ever read on this forum. No offense dude, but the "gold connectors" or whatever on the battery cover have nothing to do with how the screen works.

A capacitive touch screen (the type the Storm uses) just relies on the finger to create a small drop in current at the point of touch, which drops voltage, thus the location of the touch can be interpolated by the measurement of that drop.

If your statement was true, then how would the Storm ever work while in a case? (Like a silicone case, or hard plastic case)
    01-13-09 01:52 AM
    That's pretty much the most ******** thing I've ever read on this forum. No offense dude, but the "gold connectors" or whatever on the battery cover have nothing to do with how the screen works.

A capacitive touch screen (the type the Storm uses) just relies on the finger to create a small drop in current at the point of touch, which drops voltage, thus the location of the touch can be interpolated by the measurement of that drop.

If your statement was true, then how would the Storm ever work while in a case? (Like a silicone case, or hard plastic case)
    LMAO! Gotta love it
    01-13-09 03:16 AM

Sounded so official I almost believed it.....
    01-13-09 07:12 AM
    The problem you are running into has to do with the surface you are placing it on absorbing the impact of the touch /press of the screen. If I understand you correctly, you place it on a table/ hardsurface/ in hands there is no problem but when you place it on a soft surface such as a pillow, bed, blanket etc there is not as much opposing force therefore causing the problem with the press not registering with the device.

I have a problem like this but not exactly like this. I find that my device is not as sensitive when in landscape orientation (whether on hard or soft surface) and requires multiple presses on the screen.
    01-13-09 07:22 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD