Ok, I know for me, the random reboots ONLY occur when I'm using Blackberry Messenger. Usually when I'm right in the middle of texting back do the random reboots occur. So my question is: Does anyone else notice this or is anyone else exeriencing random reboots when they're just using any of the phones other functions? I'm hoping if it's just with the Messenger app then it can be fixed through an update or something...Just wanted to know..
    12-31-08 01:38 PM
    i havent had any random reboots , especially with useing bbm but i know some people are . what OS are you running ?
    12-31-08 01:39 PM
    i havent had any random reboots , especially with useing bbm but i know some people are . what OS are you running ?

I know with my first phone it rebooted a lot when using messenger. I just got my replacement phone maybe a week or so ago and it rebooted once or twice both were when I was using BB messenger, so I was wondering if the reboots might be associated with it...
    12-31-08 01:42 PM
    Do you have Content Compression Enabled?? If so, that is the cause. Disable it and you'll be fine.
    12-31-08 01:44 PM
    Do you have Content Compression Enabled?? If so, that is the cause. Disable it and you'll be fine.
    nice...never heard of that one, I'll try it and hopefully that will fix it, Thanks!
    12-31-08 01:47 PM
    OK, mine has done a random reboot (I would have called it a random shutdown but same difference) twice in the two weeks I've had it, both times when I wasn't doing anything at all on it! But I'll try disabling Content Compression (in advanced options, right?).
    12-31-08 01:51 PM
    Mine randomly rebooted for the first time today.

I have content compression disabled and messenger was not open. I had just finished sending a text message.
    12-31-08 01:54 PM
    There are probably more random reboots on mine that I am unaware of, but today, for example, I happened to notice 2 reboots after doing nothing with the phone. The other day, I saw 2 random reboots within about 45 minutes of each other. It is starting to aggravate me. I have no idea what it means, but everything else seems to be OK, with the exception of an occasional frozen screen when doing simple tasks. I don't think I care for this phone at all
    12-31-08 02:22 PM
    In which Option area is content compression found please?

Security Options-General Settings. Found it!
    Last edited by coevers; 01-01-09 at 11:41 AM.
    01-01-09 11:35 AM
    so i tried this and within a couple hours.....it rebooted again :/ AGAIN when using bb messenger....any other suggestions?
    01-01-09 03:13 PM
    I've had only 1 random re-boot. It happened when I pulled the phone out of my holster.

Grey
    01-01-09 04:31 PM
    my random reboots are only when i am using bbm and only happen here and there. maybe two or three times this week?

i'm using my original phone from release date, have .75, and content compression is disabled.

meant to check in on this to see if getting my phone replaced was advised. curious to hear more.
    01-01-09 05:15 PM
    thank you, someone else who has this occur while using bbm. thanks maxmax for proving my sanity....i guess the easy short answer would be stop using bbm or maybe uninstall reinstall, maybe thats too drastic though, it's not like it happens a lot, especially with my replacement....now if only someone could explain the little lightning bolts i see on occasion...haha ;p
    01-01-09 05:31 PM
    I'm having this same problem. I'm noticing it's only happening when I hit the "!?123" key in the portrait layout while the auto-suggest is popping up. Unfortunately, the reboot is so fast, I don't ever have time to make out the error code before the screen blanks. Is anyone else finding that this issue only occurs in BB Messenger when hitting that "!?123" key?
    01-09-09 09:55 PM
    i've had random reboots and i've not used the bb messenger once! i can't remember what i was doing when it did it... i think i was trying to take a pix one of the times! i got it for christmas and i've maybe had 4 reboots since then.
    01-09-09 10:36 PM
    IT JUST DID IT! UGH...
    i was going thru my text messages deleting old ones... i have a video message from my husband and i started to watch it.. after i turned the volume up, the screen went white and it's in the process of rebooting right now!!!!!!
    01-10-09 01:00 PM
    IT JUST DID IT AGAIN!!!!
    what the heck?
    i wasn't even using it.. i have it sitting here next to the computer.. i'm surfing the internet and i see it flash to an all white screen and then it starts the whole rebooting process..
    it wasn't in the process of receiving any messages because it's back up and there are no new messages..
    what's going on?
    01-10-09 09:09 PM
    I have experienced several. I don't use messenger and haven't experienced one when using the 123 key. They have happened at different times while doing different functions. Go figure.
    01-11-09 12:17 AM
    IT JUST DID IT AGAIN!!!!
    what the heck?
    i wasn't even using it.. i have it sitting here next to the computer.. i'm surfing the internet and i see it flash to an all white screen and then it starts the whole rebooting process..
    it wasn't in the process of receiving any messages because it's back up and there are no new messages..
    what's going on?
    Mine does it out of nowhere; I've caught it rebooting twice-- once while it was on my table, and another time when it was in my pocket. It's driving me crazy, because it seems to be happening when it's inactive, which makes me wonder just how often it is rebooting itself....
    01-11-09 10:49 AM
    Had this happen ONE TIME ONLY since Launch Date. I had gone into WeatherBug seeking to find if it could be configured to do a complete RIM CLOSE instead of fluffy EXIT. Gotta be careful - can bite you back - is not fully Storm compatible as yet. Got threaten re-boot a couple of hours later, even though I gingerly tried to back out.

Doctor Neutron
    01-11-09 11:15 AM
    This has been happening to me as well in blackberry messenger while using SureType. It drives me bananas!! Verizon said an update was coming this month I spoke with them on thursday Jan 8th. I'm waiting for that instead of installing the unofficial from here. Jusi my preference.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-11-09 05:07 PM

01-11-09 05:08 PM
    This has been happening to me as well in blackberry messenger while using SureType. It drives me bananas!! Verizon said an update was coming this month I spoke with them on thursday Jan 8th. I'm waiting for that instead of installing the unofficial from here. Jusi my preference.
    Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Since identifying what I think the problem is (hitting that "123" key while BB Messenger is processing the word suggestions), I've avoided hitting the key until after the list pops up, and it hasn't rebooted once since then (knock on wood). This obviously isn't the same issue some of you with multiple, random reboots are having, but for those of us with the Messenger issue, slowing down in SureType might save some frustration until an update (hopefully) fixes it.
    Last edited by heathwala; 01-12-09 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Fixed some poorly-constructed sentences
    01-12-09 09:37 AM
    I'm having this same problem. I'm noticing it's only happening when I hit the "!?123" key in the portrait layout while the auto-suggest is popping up. Unfortunately, the reboot is so fast, I don't ever have time to make out the error code before the screen blanks. Is anyone else finding that this issue only occurs in BB Messenger when hitting that "!?123" key?
    ok im totally getting where youre coming from because ONLY when im using suretype and press "!?123" to get periods (im the type of person that uses "..." alot) does it reboot! thank goodness i am not alone on this one. i have noticed though that after i enabled content compression or whatever it hasnt rebooted in awhile...actually i dont remember the last time its rebooted now, knock on wood, so you may want to try this if you havent already. also hopefully the update fixes this..my two cents...
    01-15-09 11:03 PM
    Okay, I'm glad I'm not the only one. Since identifying what I think the problem is (hitting that "123" key while BB Messenger is processing the word suggestions), I've avoided hitting the key until after the list pops up, and it hasn't rebooted once since then (knock on wood). This obviously isn't the same issue some of you with multiple, random reboots are having, but for those of us with the Messenger issue, slowing down in SureType might save some frustration until an update (hopefully) fixes it.
    Running .75.

Count me in for messenger reboots. When I'm in Messenger, portrait/suretype, hitting the "123" key seems to occasionally cause my Storm to reboot. I've also had it reboot when I'm just typing in Suretype in BBM. I'm wondering if I'm typing to fast that I get ahead of the system and it just "freaks" out?

I haven't seen that many other reboots in other applications, but I use BBM rather extensively and have had it reboot on me more than once.

For what its worth...
    02-10-09 08:43 AM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD