My question is, if you have a CDMA storm with the SIM card for when you go abroad, will that same phone be able to be unlocked and used on a GSM network? Reason i ask is because Telus is in the process or switching to a HSPA network and i'm wanting to know if my storm will be able to work on that network
    05-15-09 12:29 PM
    Telus by accounts looks like they the a stage adaptation of the HSPA. It is not going to a blanket change; look below

Q: When will the build begin and when will it be complete?
    A: The build will begin this summer and is scheduled to be completed by early 2010. Much of the detailed planning for this project is well-underway or complete.

Q: How does this affect TELUS' existing networks and services?
    A: The new network will overlay our CDMA footprint providing full national coverage. TELUS will continue to operate and support its CDMA and iDEN, networks for the foreseeable future.

Q: Will the new network affect clients' existing coverage?
    A: No. There will be no interruption in the network coverage currently experienced by our clients. TELUS will continue to provide national wireless services to areas covering more than 97% of Canadians.

Q: How will this build affect customer costs of TELUS services?
    A: TELUS will continue to provide pricing for its wide range of products and services that reflect the very competitive Canadian market conditions.
    05-15-09 12:39 PM
    ok so from what you put here i know my storm will operate fine but i'm wondering if for instance i have a curve or bold that is unlocked will i be able to take advantage of having the SIM card and have 2 phones for the one account (storm for personal and then switch the SIM and have the curve for work) Hope that made sence lol.
    05-15-09 05:15 PM
    ok i'm just gunna ask this a different and easy way lol. Will any GSM phone work with Telus once they launch their HSPA network? unlocked of course.
    05-15-09 05:39 PM
    anyone got any insight on this?
    05-15-09 11:45 PM
    ok i'm just gunna ask this a different and easy way lol. Will any GSM phone work with Telus once they launch their HSPA network? unlocked of course.
    If it has the correct frequencies, it will work with their HSPA network. If not, it'll work with whatever else Telus used before. I'm not familiar with Telus or what they're doing but that's typically how it works.
    05-15-09 11:47 PM
    theoratically any unlocked gsm phone with the same telus frequency should work, happy days hate hate hate the fact that i can't easily get unlocked phones because i"m on Telus and can't wait to jump on board the GSM train. Use to be with rogers and I swear that I would never go back to them. (ripped me off way too much) That was years and a few thousand dollars back!!!
    05-16-09 12:11 AM
    Holy po*p, that is the exact same thing i went through with Rogers and i too swore never to go back to them. I do know theoretically it should work, and i know that it is really dependent on what frequency they use. But why would telus use a different frequency to the rest of the world if they do? wouldn't that really defeat the the whole idea?
    05-16-09 11:32 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD