Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum. I'm with Telus and previously never would have considered using my phone while in another country, simply because I don't use it for business and don't want to pay just to facebook a few friends.

Now that I have the storm it's starting to get me thinking. End of March I'm going to Puerto Vallarta for a week for my birthday with a bunch of friends. What are my options for using data while there? Really 50-100mb is more than enough and even less might suffice. Would it be best to call Telus and then roam there and pay a data rate while there, or can I use a prepaid phone plan down there and put the sim in the storm?
    02-22-09 11:24 AM
    Hey everyone,

Not sure if this is the right forum. I'm with Telus and previously never would have considered using my phone while in another country, simply because I don't use it for business and don't want to pay just to facebook a few friends.

Now that I have the storm it's starting to get me thinking. End of March I'm going to Puerto Vallarta for a week for my birthday with a bunch of friends. What are my options for using data while there? Really 50-100mb is more than enough and even less might suffice. Would it be best to call Telus and then roam there and pay a data rate while there, or can I use a prepaid phone plan down there and put the sim in the storm?
    Was in Cancun a few weeks ago. I was able to use my browser but the coverage was 1X only The browser worked fairly well. Verizon allowed me to switch to a Global plan for 1 week so there was no need for a new sim card. Charges will be the cost of the global plan for the week and whatever the local telco charges for roaming per minute. No extra roaming added on by Verizon. My Storm worked like a charm. No voice mail though YMMV
    02-22-09 02:54 PM
    Same here... I went to Cotija for a couple weeks for Christmas and new Year last year.. I switched to their data on and off but got it unlocked just in case. SIM's for mexico are freaking expensive @ .99 a min Inbound and outbound
    02-22-09 02:56 PM
    Thanks! I'll prob just go without it seems like it would be a lot, Telus was showing 5 cents a kb!!!! Mexico probably has WiFi though, I'm used to going to places like Dominican and Cuba where it's more rural, especially Cuba where public Wifi isn't allowed. If there's Wifi i'll just bring my MacBook. Yes I am a loser :P
    02-22-09 03:04 PM
    hello
    i live in mexico, and telcel has a plan for international users, but you have to go to an attention center for a special sim, its really cheap, it's like 33 cents per minute, the sim costs like 15 bucks, but it shouls worth them if u use you bb a lot.
    also movistar mexico, has a plan (with a special sim also) that cost 1 dollar the call, but with infinite minutes per call, but you can only have 5 numbers to call in this plan.

Hope this helps

Greetings
    02-22-09 03:07 PM
    Thanks! I mostly want it for data that's my problem, I dont'call enough to need it for voice..
    02-23-09 12:29 PM
    I went to Cabo, and Puerto Valljerta and Mazalatan and had 0 issues.. I just called Verizon and had my account put on the international plan for 8 days and swapped back when I got home... was awesome... My buddy added his 2 email accounts to my phone too.. no problem...
    02-23-09 12:34 PM
    double post due to board lag.. sorry...
    Last edited by xxfire; 02-23-09 at 12:38 PM.
    02-23-09 12:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD