This is my first BB and boy do I love this device. I have had many smart phones and dumbphones and even an old car phone big as a suitcase in the late 80s. Anyways, when I press the red end key my phone calls do not end, i must tap the red key twice to end my call. Is the a BB thing, just my phone, or what? Thanks guys.
    11-23-08 04:09 PM
    Just hold it for like 2-3 seconds, it will end your call.
    11-23-08 04:16 PM
    One press it to wake the screen, the second is to end the call. If the backlight is still on a single press will end it.
    11-23-08 04:17 PM
    Thats just my problem the backscreen is still backlit but it will not turn off. I wonder if this is a problem to return the phone or if I just don't know what i'm doing.
    11-23-08 04:26 PM
    Pull the battery and see if that helps.
    11-23-08 04:31 PM
    Thats just my problem the backscreen is still backlit but it will not turn off. I wonder if this is a problem to return the phone or if I just don't know what i'm doing.
    I'm gonna go with the 2nd. choice..
    Go to options>screen /keyboard>midway down is backlight timeout, make sure it's at 30 seconds, i've also dropped my backlight brightness down to 40, to go a little green and save some battery life.. After you enter the settings, make sure you hit the menu button and select save...
    This menu is also where you map your convenience keys BTW..
    11-23-08 04:32 PM
    I'm gonna go with the 2nd. choice..
    Go to options>screen /keyboard>midway down is backlight timeout, make sure it's at 30 seconds, i've also dropped my backlight brightness down to 40, to go a little green and save some battery life.. After you enter the settings, make sure you hit the menu button and select save...
    This menu is also where you map your convenience keys BTW..
    Okay changed all of this and still I have to hold down the end key for 3-5 secs before the call ends. I just don't want to have to return the phone. How long do most of you have to hold down your end key to end a call?
    11-23-08 04:40 PM
    Okay changed all of this and still I have to hold down the end key for 3-5 secs before the call ends. I just don't want to have to return the phone. How long do most of you have to hold down your end key to end a call?
    double tap it....
    11-23-08 04:41 PM
    double tap it....
    okay, so to end a call is always a double tap? Is this normal for all BBs?
    11-23-08 04:49 PM
    nope, mine works with just a single tap.
    11-23-08 04:51 PM
    okay, so to end a call is always a double tap? Is this normal for all BBs?
    Really it's not common, I didn't notice the lag in the phone showing hung up until you pointed it out, the phone does hang up on the first press, i've just started double pressing since you got me all paranoid..
    11-23-08 04:53 PM
    Really it's not common, I didn't notice the lag in the phone showing hung up until you pointed it out, the phone does hang up on the first press, i've just started double pressing since you got me all paranoid..
    Damn...Guess i've got a broken button or fw problem...thanks for the hand here..
    11-23-08 06:08 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing. I thought it was a weird BB thing. I don't like having to hold/double click.

Seems to me it should just hang up when I push the dang button.
    11-24-08 07:55 PM
    nah.. I noticed this right away if the screen is lit and you hit the end key there is a delay before it hangs up on the screen... but it does hang up... just push it once and watch it.. I guess I just never saw this as a problem..
    11-24-08 08:00 PM
    Pretty sure my unit has a bad "End" button. Also the BB button.

Try pressing the button very hard, next time, and see if it hangs up immediately. Several have reported issues with some buttons.
    11-24-08 08:22 PM
    Mine is doing the same thing. I thought it was a weird BB thing. I don't like having to hold/double click.

Seems to me it should just hang up when I push the dang button.
    Went in to the store today and was told that my red end key is indeed defective and the phone will need to be replaced but the have no phones in stock and do not know when they will have more. So now I'm waiting for the store to get more in stock, and I will have to pull my battery to end a phone call.
    11-25-08 05:48 PM
    I called *611 and the guy I talked to was very nice and told me he had not heard of this before, but it was definitely not normal. He checked with his manager and with tech support. All aggreed it should end a call when the button is pressed.

He told me to take it to the store to get it replaced.

Of note, mine will end after multiple pushes or holding the button or a combo of the 2. I don't have to remove the battery, yet.
    11-27-08 10:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD