Hi everyone,

I am curious if RIM could make a software change that if we just slide our finger, could we execute action rather than pressing down? I actually like the idea of not "pressing" down.

I find the pressing down kind of cumbersome, could my device become looser?

Let me know what you guys think?

Thanks
    12-14-08 01:55 AM
    wow again ... if you dont like the click get an IPHONE
    12-14-08 01:56 AM
    Wow...you find it that cumbersome? Maybe you need one of these:

12-14-08 02:08 AM
    The device is built around the click technology so I don't see rim disabling it plus its genius

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-14-08 02:23 AM
    For me, clicking = less mistakes!
    12-14-08 02:26 AM
    Wow...you find it that cumbersome? Maybe you need one of these:

that's funny...the gripmaster!!!
    12-14-08 04:16 AM
    Wow. The whole point of this phone is the touchcreen clicking.

12-14-08 04:36 AM
    funny only place i would turn off clicking is typing. i love it everywhere else. but the rebound is too slow with typing., and i have a good clicking screen.
    12-14-08 04:38 AM
    I have to agree with sooks. the whole point of this phone is the click so BB removing the feature is not only not going to happen it require a whole new software rebuild since so much of the software requires this acction. So if you dont like it then get the other phone. We would be sad to see you leave but if it is not for you then dont let the door hit you in the ***......
    12-14-08 04:48 AM
    I love the clicking. I have an Ipod touch and find it very difficult to navigate with it in my vehicle while moving and bumping along. Also, the clicking might be one of the required functions that was required to not infringe on apples Iphone tech.

I seriously doubt they will ever eliminate it but I could be wrong.
    12-14-08 07:44 AM
    There is absolutely no reason the Storm can't have touch functionality WITH click functionality as well. I'm down with the click but when was using Opera that was nice to just touch something and it respond. They could integrate touch with the simple selections and click for typing and other things.

12-14-08 09:49 AM
    Sometimes I am at a loss. I wonder if the people who are asking for "not to click" have ever used another full touch screen phone. If not, then maybe they should try one before asking for the click to be turned off. Without the click, as you swipe or try to highlight, it can be very frustrating because you invariably "touch" something with a selection and now you have to go back and "try" to get to your original selection without "touching" anything else. This is what drew me to the Storm so badly! I used a touchscreen for 6 months and the click feature on the Storm, after only a few weeks, is soooooo nice IMO.
    12-14-08 10:25 AM
    As minigts said, there's no real reason why this isn't possible. After all, the Storm's OS already responds to more traditional touch screen "clicks" in certain apps for specific functions... But like just about everyone else has said, the click is one of the major selling points of this device. And even if RIM disabled the need for the click in the software, they can't magically make the screen rigid and no longer click with a software update. Though that would be a cool feature for a Storm 2... Have the tension on the click screen be user controlled in software. But that's for the future - at present, while it might be technically possible to eliminate the need for the click, it's not going to happen. There are plenty of other pure touch screen devices out there if that's what you want, but if you get the Storm, the whole thing is geared around that clicking action. IMO, it's a great feature, and if you've ever used a touch screen device like the LG Dare, you'd appreciate having things like scrolling and button pressing separated into two different actions. Now it's a rare time indeed when I accidentally select something I didn't want.
    12-14-08 10:43 AM
    I definitely bought this phone FOR the click, I think it's one of the most innovative ideas in smartphones. Sure, it has its issues, but this is the 1st generation of this idea, the software will get better in the short term, and the hardware will get better in the next generation based on lessons learned from feedback by the early adopters like us. Since owning the storm, I know that a pure touchscreen is not for me, the click gives you that extra 1/2 second between selecting an item on the keyboard and actually using it. I have never been able to type fast, error free messages on my wife's iphone, but it's getting really easy to do so on the storm either in portrait or qwerty mode, IMO that's what Blackberrys are all about.
    Last edited by armedtank; 12-14-08 at 11:17 AM.
    12-14-08 11:12 AM
    Places where a "touch" feature would be good, in my opinion, are when I'm reading mail and want to open one up or delete something. I understand RIM designed this device around clicking, but it obviously picks up on touch when navigating through the menu settings, so why not set it to double tap to open drop-down list or expand/collapse settings and so forth? Clicking is great when typing as to keep from mis-typing so much that would probably come from double-tapping, but a touch setting for stuff like ringer settings and so forth would be useful.
    12-14-08 11:34 AM
    Also, the clicking might be one of the required functions that was required to not infringe on apples Iphone tech.

Infringe upon what? Apple doesn't own the touch screen "tech". It's just another touch screen..
    12-14-08 11:38 AM
    If that's the case, Apple infringed on "touch" YEARS after it was around. They could possibly build cases for certain swiping motions or something, but even then that is questionable. Although, given the court systems in the US, you never know.
    12-14-08 11:43 AM
    funny only place i would turn off clicking is typing. i love it everywhere else. but the rebound is too slow with typing., and i have a good clicking screen.
    i was thinking this exact same thing. i completely, 100% agree about how the clicking makes me less likely to accidentally select something, but id like to have the option of typing messages or emails with and without the click.

my intuition tells me that RIM wouldn't likely ever make this available (though i fail to see why not because it could only help sales) but would a third party app ever be able to offer that capability? anyone have any insight?
    12-15-08 09:00 PM
    I think rim should offer an update where an option will be avaliable to not have to click. That would be awesome
    12-15-08 09:08 PM
    Is the OP for real? Isn't that the whole point of the Storm? Isn't that one of the Storm's big selling point?
    12-15-08 10:51 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD