05-08-10 07:56 PM
30 12
tools
    I have the 8530 which I don't really care for. I'm on verizon and have an upgrade in July. I've never had a touchscreen phone and have read a few things on the 1st storm, which is why I didn't get it. Could I get some feedback on what everyone thinks about the Storm 2?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    04-13-10 04:17 PM
    When it works the way it should, it's excellent. That's all I can say. No phone is perfect, but I feel this one is at times near perfection, very near. Storm2 may not be for everyone though, try it out in a store or something, SurePress especially is a love it or hate it thing. Good luck!
    04-13-10 04:20 PM
    Recommend the phone but stay away from .607.
    04-13-10 04:29 PM
    I tried the Storm 2 in the store and loved the surepress technology.

What's wrong with that OS? And is it an official or beta release?

04-13-10 05:41 PM
    What's wrong with that OS?
    A whole lot of user error, it does not matter what os you use people will complain about it. It does have a few issues but not enough to make me roll back.

And is it an official or beta release?
    .607 is a official release from vzw

The storm 2 is a awesome phone. I have had 2 of them since oct 28 and have enjoyed every minute. You said you like the surepress, so im sure you will enjoy the phone too. The os can really do a lot for the phone. Imo .451 and .517 were the best but there is not enough issues with .607 to make me change. Just stay away from .320. If you want to compare the pros and cons of the os (not the phone) look at these threads, good info there.

Storm 2 9550 OS 5.0.0.451 Findings and Fixes

Official Storm 9550 5.0.0.517 Findings and Fixes Thread and Download

Newest: Storm 2 9550 OS 5.0.0.607 Findings and Fixes - VZW
    Last edited by hydroz_23; 04-13-10 at 06:21 PM.
    04-13-10 06:12 PM
    I heard if you use an aftermarket battery, you can get the "no click" touchscreen. Just what I've heard. Either way, I like the surepress, OS's come and go so, that's not a problem. I'm gonna get the phone in July for sure.

04-13-10 06:23 PM
    I heard if you use an aftermarket battery, you can get the "no click" touchscreen. Just what I've heard. Either way, I like the surepress, OS's come and go so, that's not a problem. I'm gonna get the phone in July for sure.

I've seen people say they did it but it has nothing to do with the battery that I've read. If you wait until July there may be more info on the Storm 3. Storm 2 is the best phone I have owned.
    04-13-10 06:49 PM
    always good to play with the phones. Go into the store and just play with it and make your own decision.
    04-13-10 06:58 PM
    I would not touch anything with storm from blackberry after my 13month nightmare with the 1st. Never been happier with the Bold. I liked the concept of surepress but the device's failure to function properly put me off the next device, just my 2pence.

Yeah I pressured and got really f'd off and when u tied in, they got you.
    04-13-10 07:22 PM
    I have went to the store to play around with it, I posted that I did. But everyone knows, playing with it at a store and using the phone on a daily basis is different. Of course I'm not going to stand at verizon to test each feature it offers. That is why I asked for feedback on what everyone else thought of the device.

04-13-10 07:24 PM
    I would not touch anything with storm from blackberry after my 13month nightmare with the 1st. Never been happier with the Bold. I liked the concept of surepress but the device's failure to function properly put me off the next device, just my 2pence.

Yeah I pressured and got really f'd off and when u tied in, they got you.
    Totally understandable.

04-13-10 07:26 PM
    Like everyone said, it's up to you to decide. I came from a BB Pearl to the Storm 2 and I went to the store and tried the Droid. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't have the IPhone so i couldn't try that one. I was very impressed with the Storm. I didn't think I'd like it. I love the Surepress. I bought this phone two months ago and have been totally happy. In fact, I never returned the phone for the new hardware upgrade. I listened to Matt and waited for a new OS leak and that fixed my problems. Every new OS has it's good and bad points. Some hybrids fix the flaws, some don't. I would recommend this phone to anyone. I download every leaked OS and try to tweak it a little. My girlfriend came from a Samsung touch phone and tried my to text on my storm. She was sold immediately and we now have matching Storms. If you read the blogs and forums and pay attention to what the experts say, you won't have any problems. I read what Matt has to say, he never has steered me wrong.

BTW: It took me a whole of about 10 minutes to get used to the Storm's touch screen. No kidding. I can text and type on that screen quicker than on a laptop or my friend's touch screens.
    04-13-10 08:04 PM
    Love the phone. Works perfect for me on software 517. I say go for it.

04-13-10 08:22 PM
    love the phone, only thing i will trade it for is a hot girlfriend
    04-13-10 08:34 PM
    Like everyone said, it's up to you to decide. I came from a BB Pearl to the Storm 2 and I went to the store and tried the Droid. Unfortunately, Verizon doesn't have the IPhone so i couldn't try that one. I was very impressed with the Storm. I didn't think I'd like it. I love the Surepress. I bought this phone two months ago and have been totally happy. In fact, I never returned the phone for the new hardware upgrade. I listened to Matt and waited for a new OS leak and that fixed my problems. Every new OS has it's good and bad points. Some hybrids fix the flaws, some don't. I would recommend this phone to anyone. I download every leaked OS and try to tweak it a little. My girlfriend came from a Samsung touch phone and tried my to text on my storm. She was sold immediately and we now have matching Storms. If you read the blogs and forums and pay attention to what the experts say, you won't have any problems. I read what Matt has to say, he never has steered me wrong.

BTW: It took me a whole of about 10 minutes to get used to the Storm's touch screen. No kidding. I can text and type on that screen quicker than on a laptop or my friend's touch screens.

Thanks for giving a detailed opinion. My biggest worry was the keyboard, when I did test it out, it wasn't bad but I spent maybe 3 minutes typing. So hopefully everything goes well and I'm sure I'll love it.

04-13-10 08:35 PM
    I have went to the store to play around with it, I posted that I did. But everyone knows, playing with it at a store and using the phone on a daily basis is different. Of course I'm not going to stand at verizon to test each feature it offers. That is why I asked for feedback on what everyone else thought of the device.

You have 30 days to try the phone and return it if u do not like it. You may have to pay a restocking fee but better than having a phone u can't stand.

04-13-10 08:59 PM
    I originally purchased the LGeNV Touch. I owned it for nearly 6 months and finally decided I could not type on the touch screen. It was very sensitive and as soon as you touched the screen your input was taken. I switched to the S2 and have enjoyed it very much. I like that you have to "press" the button to make your input alive. Aside from the keyboard entry, everything else has a wonderful feel. There are quirks as any other device would have. I'm pretty quick a typing on it in landscape mode but to me, the suretype screen is absolutely useless. It's next to impossible to type one handed on it. When I upgrade to .607 I will possibly have a better time typing when I can see the letter popup to know if I am about to select the correct letter.
    04-13-10 09:23 PM
    I originally purchased the LGeNV Touch. I owned it for nearly 6 months and finally decided I could not type on the touch screen. It was very sensitive and as soon as you touched the screen your input was taken. I switched to the S2 and have enjoyed it very much. I like that you have to "press" the button to make your input alive. Aside from the keyboard entry, everything else has a wonderful feel. There are quirks as any other device would have. I'm pretty quick a typing on it in landscape mode but to me, the suretype screen is absolutely useless. It's next to impossible to type one handed on it. When I upgrade to .607 I will possibly have a better time typing when I can see the letter popup to know if I am about to select the correct letter.

Wait, I keep reading this popup thing. Like the iPhone, when you hit a letter it pops up?

04-13-10 09:34 PM
    Wait, I keep reading this popup thing. Like the iPhone, when you hit a letter it pops up?

Pretty much, that's what it does. I returned my phone once and I'm starting to really enjoy the Storm 2. I use the pop up as well and I am getting better with the touch screen. I'm still not sure how I feel about the screen clicking but overall I say it doesnt hurt to try it. They give you 30 days to try so why not?
    04-13-10 09:47 PM
    Pretty much, that's what it does. I returned my phone once and I'm starting to really enjoy the Storm 2. I use the pop up as well and I am getting better with the touch screen. I'm still not sure how I feel about the screen clicking but overall I say it doesnt hurt to try it. They give you 30 days to try so why not?
    Very true. Can someone take a screenshot of the popup?

04-13-10 09:54 PM
    i dont have problems with .607 , i say do it
    04-14-10 08:33 AM
    Very true. Can someone take a screenshot of the popup?

04-14-10 09:00 AM

That's pretty awesome. Thank You

04-14-10 01:38 PM
    Thanks jrohland. I'm already sold on getting the phone in July for sure. When I got my first blackberry (8330), I liked it for a while but then I ran into some issues with the OS. I received a replacement that totally blacked out on the 2nd day when all I had one there was contacts and emails, no apps. They ended up allowing me to get the new 8530 at the time, which I have to say the trackpad and wifi was a big plus. Also the wireless update is priceless for me. I just get bored with this phone after 5 minutes. I tried downloading apps to peak my interest, but no hope. I love the design of the S2, the different types of keyboards to choose from, and most of the themes. Apps I'm not familiar with on the phone since I don't have it. My biggest concern is this new .607 OS. I'm sure by the time I get the phone in the summer, it will be fixed. Anyway, I'm sold on the phone. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Last edited by dcraelaim; 04-14-10 at 02:59 PM.
    04-14-10 02:57 PM
    I am thinking about getting the S2. I have a Curve 8530 now and I love it but I wanna try something new. Someone told me, that has the S2, when your texting you have to use "T9". I figured you would text like you would on any keyboard phone. You just text like what you want like you would on a computer.

So do you text with T9 or is like the Curve 8530?
    How are applications for the S2?
    Can you lock the phone with a password like on the Curve?

Last edited by bsmith4293; 05-03-10 at 02:03 PM.
    05-03-10 01:43 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD