Okay, so I wanted to start a thread so that people can share tips/tricks, or just plain things that dont work with the storm

#1. I have Weatherbug I used on my 8830 and after inputting my zip code I cant push select, it just will let me do next, which isnt right as I have to select a weather station.
    #2. When logging into bis at blackberry.com/go/vzw/ and trying to switch to the storm it tells me that device isnt right for my carrier (huh?) what numbers did you use as the storm dosent have a ESN.
    11-21-08 11:53 AM
    The esn is the MEID........all cdma phones have an esn FYI....you have to do a device switch on the BIS server.....hope this helps.

Weatherbug probably is not compatible with 4.7 os
    Last edited by spaciorek; 11-21-08 at 11:58 AM.
    11-21-08 11:55 AM
    yep tried the MEID and it didnt work...by the way, I got weatherug to work just now, instead of taping the search button, you have to scroll with your finger down to it, and then select it...
    11-21-08 12:00 PM
    Hex or Decimal use the one that starts with A000000
    11-21-08 12:09 PM
    So far I can't get Google Maps, Gmail, or GoogleSync to work. :-/

Google Maps launches... but doesn't seem to recognize any touch screen input.

Gmail errors out when I try to launch it.

GoogleSync wont even let me download... saying that my device is not supported.

I hope they get these updated soon for the Storm!

(I haven't tried any other 3rd party apps yet... 0 for 3 so far is pretty lame though. :-/ )
    11-21-08 12:25 PM
    Hex or Decimal use the one that starts with A000000
    yep used that one 3 times, I just put the other one in and I am up and running....now onto getting google maps to work!
    11-21-08 12:35 PM
    So far I can't get Google Maps, Gmail, or GoogleSync to work. :-/

Google Maps launches... but doesn't seem to recognize any touch screen input.

Gmail errors out when I try to launch it.

GoogleSync wont even let me download... saying that my device is not supported.

I hope they get these updated soon for the Storm!

(I haven't tried any other 3rd party apps yet... 0 for 3 so far is pretty lame though. :-/ )
    Goto Google
    this was the first app that I installed once i got the storm..it d/led fine for me and sync my contacts to the storm.
    11-21-08 12:45 PM
    Viigo doesn't work =( Hopefully the updated client will come out soon.
    11-21-08 12:51 PM
    Google Maps with GPS does not work - BB maps does.
    11-21-08 12:58 PM
    vcast song id =[
    11-21-08 01:01 PM
    Windows Live Search - downloaded it but it won't run.
    11-21-08 01:09 PM
    Anyone use beejive?
    11-21-08 01:11 PM
    Goto Google
    this was the first app that I installed once i got the storm..it d/led fine for me and sync my contacts to the storm.
    That's the URL I'm trying... all I get is a "Device Not Supported - Sorry,Google Sync is not supported on your device." error page. Odd...

Edit: I figured out what was wrong... I had the browser set to identify itself as Firefox... changed it to "Blackberry" and it worked fine. :-)
    Last edited by Snoguitar; 11-21-08 at 01:14 PM. Reason: edit
    11-21-08 01:11 PM
    That's just cuz it's a new device. I'm sure they'll fix that pronto. Keep banging for a few days.
    11-21-08 01:16 PM
    Google Maps with GPS does not work - BB maps does.

Yes, it does.

Make sure you go to "Options", "Advanced Options", "GPS", and set "GPS Services" to "Location On".

EDIT: I stand corrected. As of right now...it doesn't work for GPS location...only approximate location based on tower.
    Last edited by Habious; 11-24-08 at 03:39 PM.
    11-21-08 01:27 PM
    Ok not sure what is going on but one question how do you close programs you have open this may be a dumb question and I may kick myself later but i am new to BB and can not seem to find a task manager type program??

Second I have noticed with a lot of the menu buttons that give you more than one selection you seem to have to slide your finger from the top or the one that is highlighted down to the one you want to select hope this is something that gets fixed.

Also I was watching a video and I am left handed so I thought great for the Storm Right!! Well even if the menus are right side up as soon as I start a video they reorientated to right handed along with the move. So I am watching the move upside down, any thoughts??

Thanks for the help.
    11-21-08 01:29 PM
    Pocket Express doesn't appear to support the device yet....which sucks. I LOVE that app on my Palm. Hopefully they'll release a new version for 4.7.

I've downloaded Ascendo Money. And, yeah, it works but, it's clearly designed for the small screen/scroll wheel BB's. It's clumsy on the Storm. the Suretype keyboard is ALWAYS on so you only see the program display on half of this really nice screen. You can't select different items on the screen (you have to use your finger and "scroll" through the options). Only works in Portrait mode.

EDIT: Major update on Ascendo Money. No workie! When you go to enter an amount in the register, the keypad comes up but there's no "1" key!!! First button is the "." That's a problem!

Again, hopefully a 4.7 version will be out for these apps.
    Last edited by Habious; 11-24-08 at 03:38 PM. Reason: Updated info
    11-21-08 01:30 PM
    Google Maps just takes me to the google homepage. I CAN however from there... click on the 'More' link and then choose maps. Still installing it right now... will post back with more later
    11-21-08 01:31 PM
    So far no love for viigo, or vlingo!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-08 01:44 PM
    I am also not able to get Google Maps to work with GPS, im not sure that it does. Anyone have PROOF that it works with GPS? I've gotten BB maps to work just fine with it.
    11-21-08 01:48 PM
    Yes, it does.

Make sure you go to "Options", "Advanced Options", "GPS", and set "GPS Services" to "Location On".
    Nope. There's another Maps thread and everyone says the same thing. It only uses tower trianglation.
    11-21-08 01:52 PM
    I can't get flickr to install, keeps saying 'server error'. Anyone else have this problem?
    11-21-08 01:57 PM
    Anyone use beejive?
    Beejive is being worked on by the developers for the storm.
    hang tight.
    11-21-08 02:01 PM
    Beejive is being worked on by the developers for the storm.
    hang tight.
    I will wait with the other guy, but I am super anxious for Beejive and Viigo. I would take slightly buggy versions now and be happier than waiting for a perfect version months from now. Just provide a beta tonight please!

BTW, the Hotmail or MSN Messenger that VZW offers costs money even on a BB correct? It is not like Beejive that allows for messages to pass through the data plan at no cost (other than required $30 unlimited data plan), correct?
    11-21-08 02:11 PM
    Anyone get Traffic to work on Google Maps?

I used Google Maps with traffic on my Palm...worked great.

I click on the BB menu button, choose "Show Traffic"...there's a little bit of data transferred...then nothing. Won't bring it up.

I KNOW Google does traffic for the Washington DC area. And, even when they're not reporting traffic, you get grey lines over the roads (as opposed to the red, yellow or green traffic indicators.)

EDIT: I got traffic to work. Hit "Show Traffic" on the menu...and wait. I mean WAIT...like a minute. Don't know why. It was near-instant on the Palm version of Google Maps running on Verizon.
    Last edited by Habious; 11-24-08 at 03:40 PM. Reason: Updated info.
    11-21-08 03:44 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD