I never would have thought the general options as far as backlighting, keyboard setting etc. would affect the way the phone works. I can see 3rd party apps. but the settings, if that's true and I were a programmer I think I'd have a head of grey hair.
    02-23-09 11:06 AM
    I never would have thought the general options as far as backlighting, keyboard setting etc. would affect the way the phone works. I can see 3rd party apps. but the settings, if that's true and I were a programmer I think I'd have a head of grey hair.
    Well, let's see...if person is having an issue with battery usage, then the backlighting setting would be nice to know. Maybe there's an issue that causes a battery leak, if the person holsters his Storm without exiting the web browser but ONLY if he has his "Automatically Dim Backlight" setting set to "No". If a person is having an issue with typing speed, then the various keyboard settings might have an impact.

Depending on the issue, it could be a variation between a setting(s), the hardware AND a 3rd party application. There are plenty of times over the years where my software has been used in a way that I never thought of that caused an error.
    02-23-09 11:20 AM
    I installed 103 to my computer and got 2 different results. I know because I was experimenting with the 106 hybrid and following directions made a backup of the 800 java files. I was real careful with that. 800 here, 800 there. After deciding I like 103 better I reinstalled it from the same .exe file
    to my computer. For some reason I looked at the java files and now had 812.
    Where did the extra 12 files come from[CENTER]. Not from 106, the file dates and size are different. This is only 1 folder. If you are losing files from this folder and/or that one, then this whole beta upgrade process becomes a
    crapshoot.
    But then again, it may just be my computer although I doubt it.
    02-23-09 12:03 PM
    I don't know why people think that just because we all have the same devices that they'll all behave identically.

I build computers all the time for people, usually gaming rigs. One time I built two identical computers at the same time. Just ordered 2x of everything. Put them together at the same time. Had two copies of the same version of windows for both. 100% identical down to the screws and washers holding int he motherboard.

When I'm installing windows one of them keeps crashing while the other one runs perfectly. Then when I'm trying to update drivers on the good system it keeps not seeing my vid card.

I get windows running on the bad system and update drivers and they install fine.

Some weird anomalies here? No. Just that electronics are fickle.

Also, there's tons of placebo effect going on with all these OS updates. I swear i want to see someone handed a "new os update" and have them rave about how good it is only to find out it's .68 ;-p
    02-23-09 12:24 PM
    It's SkyNet...It's become self aware!
    I...LOVE YOU....Thank you for making my day :P
    02-23-09 12:57 PM
    I don't know why people think that just because we all have the same devices that they'll all behave identically.

I build computers all the time for people, usually gaming rigs. One time I built two identical computers at the same time. Just ordered 2x of everything. Put them together at the same time. Had two copies of the same version of windows for both. 100% identical down to the screws and washers holding int he motherboard.

When I'm installing windows one of them keeps crashing while the other one runs perfectly. Then when I'm trying to update drivers on the good system it keeps not seeing my vid card.

I get windows running on the bad system and update drivers and they install fine.

Some weird anomalies here? No. Just that electronics are fickle.

Also, there's tons of placebo effect going on with all these OS updates. I swear i want to see someone handed a "new os update" and have them rave about how good it is only to find out it's .68 ;-p
    While I can relate about my own pc building exploits...placebo for new os builds? Hardly...there are tangible improvements os over os but like you said electronics are fickle. For example I didn't have my first frozen os until .99 and haven't since that one time while others have had many problems dating back to .75. Its a crap shoot and anyone who thinks a new OFFICIAL os will be the be all and end all is na�ve...there will be SOMEONE that has a problem guaranteed

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-23-09 01:04 PM
    I don't think most of us can imagine all the areas for possible for issues. I'm certainly not a BB development expert, but I have been developing for software for 15 years now. The possible variations between users phones are probably enormous.

Many people have touched on the obvious - we are running MANY different types of 3rd pary applications. AND many different VERSIONS of these applications. Some of these are native to (specifically developed for) the Storm, but MANY are not. We have no idea how non-native apps may interact with OS and/or hardware.

The next thing that people have mentioned is the hardware. I agree that - more than likely - not everyone is running the exact same hardware. Maybe that's something RIM should have tried to control better but it's probably just the reality now. I imagine they have as many different phones to test on as they can.

The one thing that has hardly been mentioned (and IMO is very important) is that there are also MANY variations to how each phone is setup. Think of all the different settings you have on the Storm. The OS itself can probably be setup in thousands of various ways (i.e., all the settings for keyboard, backlighting, GPS, screen, mobile network, etc, etc, etc). Go into Options and look at how many things you can set! The developers have to somehow account for as many variations that may affect something as they can. But they won't be able to catch every variation. And THEN, each native app (email, browser, BB Maps, calendar, etc) can have X number of variations in their settings. The task is really quite enormous.

After making changes, the developers will probably start unit testing against a "clean" OS build with a "standard" setup. But to reproduce/test a specific problem, they would need to have the exact settings/options that created the issue.

It's the same with PC development - especially OS development. The amount of variations between users systems is staggering! Most of you just cannot imagine. You just want it to work (understandably) but it is a BIG task. I think RIM is making good progress, but it's a difficult task and there will always be problems on specific phones with specific settings and specific OS releases. It's just the nature of the beast.

Well said. That's basically what I've been trying to explain to the folks I know that have Storms. WWAAYY too many variations to possibly account for all of them.

I'm just glad to see that RIM is feverishly working on getting us a good OS out there. At least folks can experiment with the various leaks out there and stick with the one that works best for them.
    02-24-09 09:56 AM
82 ... 234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD