This is a serious question to anyone who is a programmer of any sort.

It seems clear that not all devices are reacting the same to the OS releases. Obviously this could be a part of the problem RIM is having. They build an OS and it works on their test phones or maybe it works on most of them, or? But when the public gets it we get the same results...not everyone has the same experiences. How COULD they ever get a perfect OS if not all devices work the same on any release? Technically, all the devices should have the same hardware, so my question is...

Why don't the phones all react the same way? I know this happens with computers and everything else...I just don't know anything about programming, so I don't understand why this happens. Is it just a problem with inconsistencies with the hardware or do these releases get random bugs through downloading and transferring, or...???

Anyone have a good serious and educated answer?
    01-12-09 09:23 PM
    Not an educated answer here, but I was wondering the samething. Hopefully someone could inform us.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 09:26 PM
    Yes very strange indeed. And why does the software sometimes seem to get better or worse with age... Doesn't make much sense to me.
    01-12-09 09:29 PM
    one thing is not everyone is running the same setup, software and configuration. Many people had memory leaks, but were also running TalkLock. The phones are also made in different locations, mexico and canada. Should be the same, but the users are saying they aren't.
    01-12-09 09:29 PM
    ya it doesnt make sense! i guess there must be hardware difference's between the devices otherwise there is no other explanation as to why only certain builds work on my storm.
    01-12-09 09:38 PM
    Third party apps sometimes has something to do with it.
    01-12-09 09:41 PM
    I've asked this question a few times but never have received an explanation. I'll even say that assume for the purposes of the question that no third party apps are installed.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-12-09 09:45 PM
    Yes very strange indeed. And why does the software sometimes seem to get better or worse with age... Doesn't make much sense to me.
    It's SkyNet...It's become self aware!
    01-12-09 09:47 PM
    You guys gotta be patient. I have a friend who .85 worked flawlessly for. .85 was a bit of a mess on my Storm. Our experiences have always been polar opposites UNTIL .86.

We both are having a fantastic experience with .86 so far. You guys might not have found that OS release that clicks for your Storm yet, but wait it out. My friend's Storm is firsthand proof that not every Storm will react the same way to OS releases.
    01-12-09 09:47 PM
    This is a serious question to anyone who is a programmer of any sort.

It seems clear that not all devices are reacting the same to the OS releases. Obviously this could be a part of the problem RIM is having. They build an OS and it works on their test phones or maybe it works on most of them, or? But when the public gets it we get the same results...not everyone has the same experiences. How COULD they ever get a perfect OS if not all devices work the same on any release? Technically, all the devices should have the same hardware, so my question is...

Why don't the phones all react the same way? I know this happens with computers and everything else...I just don't know anything about programming, so I don't understand why this happens. Is it just a problem with inconsistencies with the hardware or do these releases get random bugs through downloading and transferring, or...???

Anyone have a good serious and educated answer?
    It could also be that every phone is different to some capacity. You may have installed the update one way and someone else a different way. They may have a peice of software on theirs that you do not. There are so many variances that can come into play here. That's why Beta's are not the greatest thing. The released versions have the stability because they share one thing. The commonality between the phones. If I wrote a program for your phone with your version of software on it, knowing you are running this 1 additional application that hooks into let's say the phone database, and tailored it to work with you, the next person who doesn't have that application could be using a different hook to look into a database on the phone, that causes a conflict with my program. Therefore I would write the program in a more general sense to accomodate all users and not a handful in particular. That's the released versions of the OS.

And I have no idea what I am saying anymore so goodnight. LOL
    01-12-09 09:59 PM
    I think the point is that the op wants to understand why there r differences between. Storms. Got nothing to do wit bemmpatien. God typing blows on. H browser!

You guys gotta be patient. I have a friend who .85 worked flawlessly for. .85 was a bit of a mess on my Storm. Our experiences have always been polar opposites UNTIL .86.

We both are having a fantastic experience with .86 so far. You guys might not have found that OS release that clicks for your Storm yet, but wait it out. My friend's Storm is firsthand proof that not every Storm will react the same way to OS releases.
    01-12-09 10:02 PM
    It's really not that complicated. With any mass produced product defects are inevitable. It's even more common in the first six or so months of production while the whole process of putting the devices together is perfected.

So on occasion people will get a bit of hardware that will zig when it's supposed to zag, and the operating system or program doesn't really know how to handle that, so it either crashes or throws up an error.

And of course third party apps are always a wild card factor. A poorly written app can cause all kinds of problems. RIM can't possibly test every single app out there to see if it's causing problems or not. The OS does still have a few rough edges here and there, and each successive release seems to iron out more of them, even if occasionally a couple of new ones are added. We just need to have a little patience. As Crucial has said, the Storm is getting way more attention than any other BB phone ever has at this stage, so we should be happy about that, not complaining because it isn't an instant process. The pessimists among us can don the tinfoil hats and say how it's proof that the Storm sucks, blah blah blah. I choose to see it as RIM's commitment to making sure the Storm lives up to its potential.
    01-12-09 10:04 PM
    I think the point is that the op wants to understand why there r differences between. Storms. Got nothing to do wit bemmpatien. God typing blows on. H browser!
    LOL - How's the browser typing on .86? Seems like it got worse.
    01-12-09 10:07 PM
    They should do like Microsoft does and make sure RIM approves the application to be installed on the BB. (Blackberry Storm Certified)!!!!
    01-12-09 10:07 PM
    Yeah, I thought about third party apps, but it seems like those should only interfere when they are running, right?

There's no doubt they're making headway., I was just thinking I can understand how it is probably frustrating for their programmers too! This is kind of how I look at things...I think about my frustrations (which are actually VERY minimal) and then consider what the poor programmers are probably dealing with.

Thanks for the replies!
    01-12-09 10:08 PM
    The best solution is to stick with the released versions. You will probably be happier.
    01-12-09 10:09 PM
    They should do like Microsoft does and make sure RIM approves the application to be installed on the BB. (Blackberry Storm Certified)!!!!
    Microsoft doesn't approve WinMo apps. You're thinking of Apple.
    01-12-09 10:14 PM
    The best solution is to stick with the released versions. You will probably be happier.
    But what fun is that? The life of a Luddite must really be boring.
    01-12-09 10:31 PM
    Civic dropped a great response to this question at this thread folks... worth the read I think

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ea...6/#post1404348
    01-13-09 01:09 PM
    This may sound completely stupid and I am not an expert in any way but I wonder if when we do the restore with our emails and contacts and all that other stuff if the restore process is causing different reactions? Like something from the old OS is coming thru. Or the way that it stores our databases is causing the problems? That might explain the differences that we are all getting. I know my problems with .86 have been so bad that I went back to .75. I miss some of the features of .86 already but I just need stability.
    01-13-09 01:46 PM
    It's SkyNet...It's become self aware!
    That's pretty funny!
    01-13-09 01:48 PM
    This may sound completely stupid and I am not an expert in any way but I wonder if when we do the restore with our emails and contacts and all that other stuff if the restore process is causing different reactions? Like something from the old OS is coming thru. Or the way that it stores our databases is causing the problems? That might explain the differences that we are all getting. I know my problems with .86 have been so bad that I went back to .75. I miss some of the features of .86 already but I just need stability.
    It's possible, but those databases should be self contained. They are after all, just the user data and config... nothing OS related in them.
    01-13-09 01:49 PM
    It's possible, but those databases should be self contained. They are after all, just the user data and config... nothing OS related in them.
    That makes sense. Just a crazy idea I had. LOL Thanks
    01-13-09 02:14 PM
    That is a good idea. I think I may install .86 back and instead of restoring the databases I could just sync my contacts and start with fresh installs of the programs I use. Maybe I will have better success with it? I will do a wipe so that everything is completely gone.
    01-13-09 02:36 PM
    I do not work for RIM and cannot speak to specifics regarding them but:

As with any mass produced item you can have a multitude of defects/oddities however minor that may occur on any component of a device. Keep in mind the "OS" that your loading on is Firmware....it interacts with all the hardware pieces of the device. If two people buy the same exact model car from the same dealer at the same time you can and will experience different issues with each car.

Now another thing to keep in mind is that these leaks are not official releases so the public is NEVER supposed to be using them because they are not "finished" OS's they may simply be released to testers to test a specific fix/issue and then after all is said and done the pieces and parts that work are assembled into working OS's that get tested in whole then get made final. Just because it's leaked doesn't mean it is supposed to have addressed ALL issues that everyone is experiencing.

I suspect the following:

1) Not meant to be considered a complete OS that is a candidate for release

2) Some people have defective hardware that shows on some OS's more so than others...may even have slightly newer/older/different components including batteries. There are technically different "versions" of not only the overall device but individual components too.

3) Process of doing the install seems to play a factor as well...many people do things differently even if they leave out 1 little step no matter how innocent it COULD make a difference.

4) Third party apps...how many ...which ones...what versions...

5) User error or perception and how they use and treat the phone.

My .02.
    01-13-09 03:32 PM
82 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD