Hey guys. Can anyone help me on this one? When I connect my storm to any pc, Desktop Manager will recognize it, pin and all says connected and I can update the OS etc, but the PC won't. In other words, it won't show up under "My Computer" and it won't show up in Rhapsody.

This isn't a PC problem because my brothers Storm and my roommates Storm both are recognized by the PC. I've also tried reverting back to previous OS's and that's not the problem either. I've also, obviously, tried battery pulls and other little things.

A little more info: I've had this problem since I received a refurbished Storm recently. Could it be a problem with the pin or something similar? The new Storm came with a different pin but I didn;t have to update anything in BB Messenger and my contacts could begin chatting with me right away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    06-06-09 10:08 AM
    Reinstall the device manager.
    06-06-09 10:10 AM
    Do you have Mass Storage enabled?
    06-06-09 10:11 AM
    I would try what rmjones 101 recommended...

Go to
    options>memory>

then turn mass storage mode support to "on" and auto enable mass storage mode when connected to "on."

That should do it
    06-06-09 10:13 AM
    When I read that, I thought for sure you guys were spot on. Anyway, it WAS turned off but I turned it on and saved it and so far that hasn't helped. I just did a pull and I'll try again. When I plug it into the PC, the PC even makes a "dadum" sound like you've just plugged something in but doesnt actually show it.
    06-06-09 10:22 AM
    Still no luck. Any other ideas guys?
    06-06-09 10:25 AM
    I have this problem all the time. Whenever I install an OS I can't get Access Manager to work. Can't find a device. The only drivers I can get to work with everything is with Device Manager 4.6 without the file manager crap. Can be downloaded from RIM.
    06-06-09 10:25 AM
    I have this problem all the time. Whenever I install an OS I can't get Access Manager to work. Can't find a device. The only drivers I can get to work with everything is with Device Manager 4.6 without the file manager crap.
    So are you saying I should try a different device manager? Also, would this explain why mine doesn't work but my brothers Storm DOES work?
    06-06-09 10:26 AM
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    06-06-09 11:06 AM
    I had this issue too. I tried every fix I could find. I ended up taking it to a Verizon tech and it had to be replaced. They couldn't figure out what the exact issue was but it had to be replaced.
    Last edited by Tawnia Homar; 06-06-09 at 11:26 AM. Reason: typo
    06-06-09 11:26 AM
    I have a loan Storm at the moment while mines being repaired and it does exactly the same thing.

Windows makes the noise that it's connected, PIN appears on the DM software but it's as if there is no mass storage mode.

My friends storm pops up the 'open file with' window as soon as we connect it on the same PC so i know there's not a problem there.

I spoke to Vodafone technicial who have advised me to send it for repair. (even the damn loan phone needs repairing!)
    06-06-09 11:32 AM
    Anyone have any other ideas?
    Read my first post in this thread.
    06-06-09 11:37 AM
    By any chance, do y'all have a password enabled? If so, then when you plug in (with Mass Media Mode set to 'On' or 'Prompt') you will have to enter your password ON YOUR STORM. Once entered, then the "Autoplay" window will pop up. If not, do what gtstang462002 already mentioned.
    06-06-09 11:46 AM
    Read my first post in this thread.
    I tried reinstalling 4.7. Still no luck :/
    06-06-09 12:12 PM
    I tried reinstalling 4.7. Still no luck :/
    It is a USB driver issue. Try a different USB port.
    06-06-09 01:45 PM
    I had this issue with a new "Refurb" Storm and tried all of that...none of the usb ports worked. I took it back into VZW and they didnt even try, they just ordered me a new refurb. Somewhere on here is a file that you can try to load to fix it, but other threads like this have said it is the phone...
    06-06-09 01:59 PM
    Question- Did you install this from the given CD when you got your Storm?

Because my CD didn't work, and I had to download the device manager off of the BB site.
    06-06-09 01:59 PM
    go into device manager and look for the BB under USB. Delete it and then hook your BB back up and let the drivers reinstall.
    06-06-09 02:06 PM
    Plug it into a different computer. It that computer does not see it, it is the BB. If it does it is your compuer
    06-06-09 02:19 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. I have tried it on multiple computers and it doesn't work on any of them. I might have to replace it, which is gonna suck coz this Storm had the BEST click of ANY of the 5 or 6 I've tried between my friends and I. Hopefully I get lucky.
    06-06-09 04:02 PM
    I had this issue with a new "Refurb" Storm and tried all of that...none of the usb ports worked. I took it back into VZW and they didnt even try, they just ordered me a new refurb. Somewhere on here is a file that you can try to load to fix it, but other threads like this have said it is the phone...
    Any idea where I can find this file?
    06-06-09 04:02 PM
    I had this happen to me yesterday, after I had installed .148. My PIN number was not recognized. I called VZW and a simple reboot of both my computer and Storm seemed to solve the problem, though the tech also advised that I plug my phone in before opening DM (not sure I had to do this before).

BTW, I've not been able to find out what the DM update is for, but you might want to be sure to get the update for that as well, mine is now version 4.7.0.37
    06-06-09 05:47 PM
    Try the link in this post just copy and paste in the browser while in CB. Other Storm users indicated it worked.

Originally Posted by o0o
    Had the same issue (brand new Bold out of the box), sent the device in for a replacement, which still had the same problem, was going to get it replaced again and found this:

Mass Storage issues? (Here's the fix) - PinStack.com

Run the bat file, press a key, let the phone reboot and mass storage mode started working again!
    06-06-09 05:48 PM
    I would suggest, if nobody else has, that you make sure that you do not have the screen locked when you plug it in.

This stops my PC seeing the Blackberry as a mass storage device even when the setting is on.

It's caught me out several times when I haven't noticed the screen lock is on when I connect it to the PC.
    06-06-09 06:18 PM
    Try the link in this post just copy and paste in the browser while in CB. Other Storm users indicated it worked.

Originally Posted by o0o
    Had the same issue (brand new Bold out of the box), sent the device in for a replacement, which still had the same problem, was going to get it replaced again and found this:

Mass Storage issues? (Here's the fix) - PinStack.com

Run the bat file, press a key, let the phone reboot and mass storage mode started working again!
    OMG...so that totally worked. Thank you very much. And to everyone else, thank you for all the help. I am reminded of why crackberry remains the single best forum around!
    06-06-09 10:13 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD