Let's face it:

I think the biggest problem with the storm is that it is running on an OS (4.7) that was not designed specifically for it...the dev team is clearly trying to force the storm to work on it with the clicking and touching but unless a seperate, more user friendly, and customizable interface is developed, these updates are all IMO patchwork

I think this is why the bold and curve are great--BB knows how to perfect these traditional devices...touchscreen? they should leave that to other companies

PS. I own a storm
    01-07-09 10:20 PM
    Umm... I"m almost positive the OS 4.7 was made Specifically for the storm.......
    01-07-09 10:23 PM
    Let's face it:

I think the biggest problem with the storm is that it is running on an OS (4.7) that was not designed specifically for it...the dev team is clearly trying to force the storm to work on it with the clicking and touching but unless a seperate, more user friendly, and customizable interface is developed, these updates are all IMO patchwork

I think this is why the bold and curve are great--BB knows how to perfect these traditional devices...touchscreen? they should leave that to other companies

PS. I own a storm
    Have you noticed the trend to going to touch screens? Without evolution there is extinction. Ask the dinosaurs.

I am confident that RIM will have this phone running on all 8 cylinders once they get over the "launch hurdles"

Most all phones go through a learning curve once it's launched. There are situations and conditions that can't be simulated or beta tested.
    01-07-09 10:26 PM
    This is not the first time i've read that 4.7 was not designed for the Storm and/or it's just 4.6 stuffed into touch screen hardware. Can you please post a link where i can read this as fact and not speculation?
    01-07-09 10:27 PM
    I highly doubt the Storm OS(4.7) library is anything but a 4.6 OS with touch/click classes added to it. Otherwise, RIM would have capitalized on the phrase "WITH A BRAND NEW OPERATING SYSTEM NEVER BEFORE SEEN ON A BLACKBERRY DEVICE" or something along those lines...
    01-07-09 10:36 PM
    I highly doubt the Storm OS(4.7) library is anything but a 4.6 OS with touch/click classes added to it. Otherwise, RIM would have capitalized on the phrase "WITH A BRAND NEW OPERATING SYSTEM NEVER BEFORE SEEN ON A BLACKBERRY DEVICE" or something along those lines...
    While I'm not sure whether your statement is true or not, I can say that it is unlikely that they would market the Storm through its new OS. The whole marketing concept revolved around being an innovative touch screen device that actually clicked. Marketing it as you say probably wouldn't have been as effective. And marketing it both ways would cost them money because the one that has the most chances of succeeding would see a budget cut.

I don't know, I just feel that RIM wouldn't have marketed the Storm any other way even if the OS was completely innovative because the clickable touch screen was their selling point right from the conceptual stages.
    01-07-09 10:52 PM
    Yes, the touch was added into the existing Blackberry OS. Otherwise it would probably operate completely differently than other Blackberry devices. However, just because it was adapted doesn't mean it can't be improved. And actually, now that I have used it awhile I rather like the Blackberry OS. Just a couple bugs to work out, that's all!
    01-07-09 11:06 PM
    While I'm not sure whether your statement is true or not, I can say that it is unlikely that they would market the Storm through its new OS. The whole marketing concept revolved around being an innovative touch screen device that actually clicked. Marketing it as you say probably wouldn't have been as effective. And marketing it both ways would cost them money because the one that has the most chances of succeeding would see a budget cut.

I don't know, I just feel that RIM wouldn't have marketed the Storm any other way even if the OS was completely innovative because the clickable touch screen was their selling point right from the conceptual stages.
    I don't know... it could just be another feature on their list. I wasn't saying it would be the main theme of the commercial, just another feather in their cap.
    01-07-09 11:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD