this is a question to those of you who owned berrys before the storm.

Do you feel like the storm is not as sturdy as your past blackberrys?
    i love my storm, i just feel like i could never drop it or anything because it might not be able to handle it.

when i had my 8820, i just knew that phone could take a lot and it was a trooper. like if i dropped it, i would be like "ahhhh sh*T" but after like a day im like cool because its just a battle wound and it just reminds me how durable it is.

i don't get that same feeling with the storm. its like it's too pretty to be the warrior blackberrys are known to be
    01-05-09 03:21 AM
    Don't get mad at me as this is my first BlackBerry. But, I have dropped mine from about 5 feet onto a hardwood floor. It took it like a champ. Battery door stayed on and never missed a beat. I would say the Storm is more durable than most other phones.
    01-05-09 03:38 AM
    I have complete faith in the backside of my Storm, since the battery door is metal. When it comes to the front side, I'm completely paranoid, since the screen is glass. So I guess you could say it's a tossup. I'm not as careful with my 8820 as I am with my Storm, but that's probably because the 8820 was work-issued and I didn't pay a cent for it.
    01-05-09 03:44 AM
    After coming from other berrys i dont think this thing going to last 2 yrs till its time for a new one
    01-05-09 04:23 AM
    After coming from other berrys i dont think this thing going to last 2 yrs till its time for a new one
    I don't think so either. This is the first Berry I opted for insurance.
    01-05-09 05:06 AM
    I've had 10 different RIM devices/BB's since 2002. The Storm is no where near as strong and sturdy as the rest. It's very delicate.
    01-05-09 05:27 AM
    I talked with my brother about the durability of the Storm during the Thanksgiving holiday and says that if it's a moving part, then it's guaranteed to break. He's an EE and part of the reason he likes the iphone (well, he has one) is because there is no moving part unlike the Storm's huge clicking operation.

I'm on my second Storm. Due to mechanical failure/defect from the get go on my original Storm, I was granted a new one. Upon receiving the new one, I bought the insurance plan. The phone is only warrantied for one year. The usual plan is $4.99, but I opted for the $5.99 to extend the warranty for another year. About 12 years of cell phone usage, this is the first phone I've ever had to consider getting the insurance.

So as much as I love the Storm, I already know there's an ETA for a mechanism's breakdown seeing how I'm playing with the Storm more so than any of my previous phones. And noticing that this phone set up is new for RIM, I'm not sure even they know the median life expectancy of the Storm.

Oh yeah... here's another reason why to get the insurance... my brother just lost his phone over New Year's. If he would have had the insurance, then he could simply get the newer Iphone 3g for $50. (He paid the original price of the iphone when he got it too.) He's barely passed his first year in a two year contract, and he's worried about acquiescing a new phone.
    01-05-09 05:48 AM
    i agree the 88** series are some really tough phones! i keep my storm in a fire proof safe at the house... only bring it out when the kids are in bed after i put blankets down on all the hardwood! lol
    01-05-09 06:58 AM
    I don't think so either. This is the first Berry I opted for insurance.
    Same here, I am always careful with my phones, but breaking the screen would def be a bad thing...
    01-05-09 07:06 AM
    I dropped my Curve about 10 times and eventually broke the trackball off but damn straight that thing was hearty.
    I'm paranoid of breaking my Storm. I don't know if it's going to hold up for 2 years but then again, I remember feeling the same way about my Curve until I dropped it a few times.
    Bottom line, it might be heartier than it looks.
    01-05-09 07:16 AM
    I have some faith in the Storm. Didn't at first, but after a picture frame tumbled off of an upper shelf on my desk, hit the Storm on the screen, and it only scratched the screen protector...I was impressed. Screen was still flawless underneath with no loss of functionality.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-09 07:54 AM
    I'm paranoid because the screen is glass, rather than plastic. So I'm more afraid about possible outcome from dropping.

Also the feeling of the Send/Menu/Escape/End buttons on the front don't inspire confidence. The storm holster RIM sells (as an add-on) is very tight compared to the holster for my Curve, Pearl and 8800. That makes me more concerned about the front buttons.

Otherwise I'd say I'm comfortable with its sturdiness.
    01-05-09 08:04 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD