OK, sounds like a new OS is a comin tomorrow. I gotta get ready! Two questions"

#1: Is desktop manager the best (and only) way to prepare for the new OS? By using the back-up utility, will DM save all the settings I created and keep all the unneeded apps "deleted"? I'd rather not go through that again. In other words, am I going to have to redo ALL the tweaks I did this weekend?

#2: I am on BES, but my IT department does not allow me to install DM on my company computer. They will just wipe the Storm once I get the new OS. Can I connect my Storm to my home computer and restore it there?

I'd appreciate the advice...
    11-23-08 06:35 PM
    you can sync the BB storm (or any BB) to any computer, just name your backup accordingly so you know what it is and then restore it after you get the update.
    11-23-08 06:40 PM
    You can do OTA updates

go into options > advanced options > and check to see if you have the wireless updates option

if you dont, go into options > advanced options > service books > highlight provisions (otas) > menu > delete > menu > undelete> and repeat a couple times. Go to the home menu and then check back in advanced options to see if its there yet
    11-23-08 06:42 PM
    You can do OTA updates

go into options > advanced options > and check to see if you have the wireless updates option

if you dont, go into options > advanced options > service books > highlight provisions (otas) > menu > delete > menu > undelete> and repeat a couple times. Go to the home menu and then check back in advanced options to see if its there yet
    The OS itself will NOT update OTA.
    It is like 50 or 60MB, to pull this in OTA would take to long and there is no room on the Storm to save the file before installing it.
    Before an update can run it must be stored since the phone cannot remain connected when it is updating.
    Patches and app updates OTA wouldn't be a problem, but not a complete OS.
    11-23-08 06:45 PM
    You can do OTA updates

how did anyone ever figure out that sequence?
    11-23-08 06:48 PM
    RIM's future strategy also includes a sharper focus on wireless, or over-the-air (OTA), services, the source said. For example, the latest available version of the BlackBerry OS, v4.6, which currently is found on RIM's new BlackBerry Bold 9000 device, lets BES and BlackBerry Internet Service (BIS) users upgrade their handheld OS wirelessly, directly from their BlackBerrys; no desktop computer, be it Mac or PC, is necessary.
    It seems that a total OS Upgrade should be possible in accordance with their statement.
    11-23-08 06:52 PM
    How do we know an OS update is coming tomorrow? And while Im here, Im a Mac user. So how the heck will I update the OS when it is available?
    11-23-08 06:54 PM
    how did anyone ever figure out that sequence?
    I wondered that also!
    11-23-08 07:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD