I preface this with:

1. I do not own a Storm--yet.
    2. I only had about 5 minutes to play with it in the VZW store.

So, here goes:

The browser--I assume it is configurable? I come from a Motorola Q9M, with WinMobile 6 and that version of IE. What I really liked about it was I could choose settings that would put the website into either a 1 column view, a desktop view, or a full view. Single column essentially formatted the whole page, and scaled graphics down to, the width of the Q9M screen. Desktop was similar, but had some side to side scrolling--but images were still formatted to fit the width. Full view was the "looking at a webpage through a soda straw" view.

So, when I played with the Storm browser, it was set up so that when a page loaded, I got the 50,000 ft view of the whole page, which made text too tiny to read. To do anything useful, I had to keep zooming in, which was a total PITA.

My question, then, is are there browsers for the Storm, or browser settings, including the BB browser, that format webpages intelligently, so every freakin' time you load a page you don't have to zoom in?

This is make or break for me--the main reason for getting a honking big screen is to have better mobile browsing, and if this thing can do it, I'm on it like white on rice.
    05-25-09 09:12 AM
    you can format it intelligently with the native blackberry browser in the Browser configuration menu
    that will probably be the least of your problems with a Storm ....
    05-25-09 09:17 AM
    Blackberry Browser can switch between page and column view by pressing "Z" on the keyboard.
    You can also download Opera Mini or Bolt browser as an alternative. Skyfire Alpha is currently in testing.

Hope this helps.
    05-25-09 09:19 AM
    There are many options within the default BB browser, too many to describe, including a "Default View" setting, which your options are "Page" and "column".

Also, your choice of browser is not limited to just the BB browser, you can also download Opera Mini and/or Bolt. I typically switch between BB browser (20-25% usage) and Opera Mini (75-80% usage), depending on the site and what I'm wanting to do. Both have their positives and negatives. One thing I like about Opera Mini is that it basically has two zoom levels... a full page few and a close up few, either of which any text on the page is formatted correctly to the width of the screen. So no side-scrolling is necessary.

Hope that helps a little.
    05-25-09 09:21 AM
    Thread 2day...click: re: BROWSER
    05-25-09 09:58 AM
    Thanks to everyone for the helpful replies. I'll have to dig into those setting better.

Thread 2day...click: forums.crackberry.com/f86/another-question-about-storm-browser-234422re:BROWSER
    Yeah, uh thanks, no, not my question at all. I may be a crackberry noob, only having used them for the last 5-6 years, but I'm not a Forum noob and did use the search function. Of the twenty odd threads I found, and read, not one addressed this particular issue except one which mentioned in an oblique way something about emulation settings. But I appreciate you trying to help.

Savoie72 Blackberry Browser can switch between page and column view by pressing "Z" on the keyboard.
    You can also download Opera Mini or Bolt browser as an alternative. Skyfire Alpha is currently in testing.

Hope this helps.
    I hope Skyfire is better on the Storm than the Q9M--on the Q9M, it is nothing BUT zoom in all the time. Navigation is so tedious I only use it for those few pages of flash video the Q9M's teeny little brain can handle. Opera sound like it has a bunch of fans, I'll definitely check that out.

Thanks again to all those who provided helpful answers.
    05-25-09 01:48 PM
    Sorry to chime in late but there is a setting for default font size and minimum font size that you can adjust. Then there is a setting for column view or page view. Hope that helps answer your question a bit better.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-25-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD