This is driving me crazy and I can't figure any other way around it. My question is simple: Is there a program that allows you to run windows or palm programs on a bb? I use a particular medical program extensively (called epocrates). It's available in a slimmed down (ie, less useful) version for the bb. I want to have the full suite of epocrates on my blackberry identical to what it is on the pocket pc and palm.

I've tried other programs like pepid and lexicomp but was not that impressed with the overall set up. Plus lexicomp is merely an icon that looks things up online rather than having the program downloaded to the device so you need a good signal for it work- bad news for deep clinics or basement radiology suites! Any ideas?

And before anyone gets worked up- I prefer my storm over any other device but I need my medical software! When will RIM get the picture??
    05-22-09 03:57 PM
    I thought Epocrates had an option for BB download? I dl'd the free version to my Storm, but I found it to be a memory hog. I ended up deleting it because it slowed my Storm and I don't use it that often.

So, it is there, but not great IMHO.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-22-09 04:03 PM
    I thought Epocrates had an option for BB download?
    Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    You're right, it is there, but you can't get the full version which included meds, disease, labs. On that note, are you using any med apps? I'm looking for something quick to use in family medicine clinic- say I want to quickly look up the diagnostic criteria for SLE or which labs are needed to rule out pheo?
    05-22-09 04:11 PM
    Epocrates is available for blackberry storm. The only caveat is that it eats about about 10MB of application memory (even after it automatically transfers 2 MB of application memory in the SD card). But unless your BB is packed full of apps, I would keep epocrates.

I used to use Skyscape 5MCC, which has a decent interface with the storm, but also very memory intensive.

I ended up bookmarking UpToDate (since I already have a subscription) and looking things up on my browser.

Hope that helps.
    05-24-09 02:12 PM
    I use skyscape nursing constellation on mine. It has a nice drug reference, lab guide, etc. It works much better for me than epocrates!
    05-24-09 03:39 PM
    I too used epocrates on my palm device. It is available for BB ...in fact, I like the BB version better. However, as mentioned, it is a huge memory hog and also leaks memory. It slowed down my entire phone. Until the database can fully be placed on the sd card, I'll use the web site.
    05-24-09 04:47 PM
    Have you looked into Tarascon? I use PEPID on my Storm, but my partner uses Tarascon on her Curve and loves it. It has a subscription fee, but it has a lot of what you're looking for.
    05-24-09 06:47 PM
    I don't mean to be difficult, but let me see if I can clear this up. I know that epocrates IS available for the bb storm. I also know that it can be a memory hog.

The issue is: epocrates is only available as either the free version or the epocrates Rx PRO (which includes the medications as well as the ID guide). However, epocrates ESSENTIALS and ESSENTIALS DELUXE are NOT available for any blackberry. So, you're missing out on diagnostic suite, coding and medical dictionary. Unfortunately, those are the things that I really want to be able to access.

Update: In the mean time, I've downloaded some skyscape programs that are decent at best- although not a easy to navigate as epocrates.
    05-24-09 06:51 PM
    Have you looked into Tarascon?
    I haven't considered that. I take a look at and try it out. Thanks for the tip.
    05-24-09 06:51 PM
    Look for constellation option that skyscape offers. They got lot of programs bundled together and the catch is not high memory. Also the programs are well accepted by the device
    06-02-09 02:32 PM
    There is another page for the extra apps for bb because I downloaded them to my bosses bb when he first got it along with epocrates. He also has some of the calculators they had as well as some others I had to get for our specialty.
    06-02-09 02:36 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD