I did a search and amazingly I couldn't find another thread for this Poynt update for the first time.

Anyways, I just updated Poynt from 1.0.1.59 to 1.0.1.68 but didn't notice any difference. What about you guys?

Edit: Cell site still doesn't seem to be working for me. Sigh.
    Last edited by vdiesel; 03-17-09 at 01:41 AM.
    03-17-09 01:39 AM
    Same here...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-17-09 01:41 AM
    03-17-09 01:43 AM
    I did a search and amazingly I couldn't find another thread for this Poynt update for the first time.

Anyways, I just updated Poynt from 1.0.1.59 to 1.0.1.68 but didn't notice any difference. What about you guys?

Edit: Cell site still doesn't seem to be working for me. Sigh.
    hi vdiesel,
    Check to make sure your permissions for location data are set to allow. If that's not the issue, let me know and we'll troubleshoot for you.
    03-18-09 11:45 AM
    Poynt! BEST APP EVER!
    03-18-09 12:48 PM
    hi vdiesel,
    Check to make sure your permissions for location data are set to allow. If that's not the issue, let me know and we'll troubleshoot for you.
    The thing is, cell site works for my Google Maps, so I doubt it's a global setting issue? But i did check and it's set to on.
    03-18-09 03:09 PM
    The thing is, cell site works for my Google Maps, so I doubt it's a global setting issue? But i did check and it's set to on.
    Hi vdiesel!

Thanks for your continued interest in Poynt. For informational purposes, the following is a description of how cell-site technology works.

Firstly, there are a couple types of cell-site technologies.

1. Cell-site via cell-tower triangulation. 3rd party developers can't implement this directly on the BlackBerry because the device will only expose the currently utilized cell-tower. However, some carriers provide assistance on their network to ascertain a location based on cell-tower triangulation. Most major carriers DO NOT support this however.

2. Cell-site via data averaging of real GPS locations. This is the method that both Poynt and Google Maps employs. The way this works is that users connect to a server that maps locations to cell-towers, so that all a 3rd party app needs to do is grab the relevant cell-tower data off the device, send it to the server over the network, and the app gets back an approximate location.

Google Maps and Poynt differ slightly on how they do this. Google does everything in-house, meaning they have both the architecture to map cell-towers to locations, and they have the actual application on the device. Poynt depends on a 3rd party to do the location to cell-tower mappings, and that database is not the same as Google's. In some instances, the data is better and in some instances, the data may be incomplete.

Google adds to their database by also collecting people's real gps locations and recording what cell-tower they are connected to. They then average the data based on density to obtain the most likely positional radius you are in.

Poynt's provider also employs this method, except that Poynt never tells the cell-site location provider your real GPS location. Poynt's provider collects this data on their own through different means that do not involve Poynt. Since Poynt's provider and Google operate independently of each other, the data is not exactly comparable.

The important point is that the BlackBerry does not support cell-site location by default. A 3rd party entity has to collect the cell-tower data and map it to locations.

Back to your issue about cell-site, what color is your indicator dot? Is it grey or red? Does it ever turn green?

If it is grey, try this:

From your home screen go to Options->Advanced Options->Applications

Type "Poynt"

Click on the bb menu key and select Edit Permissions.

Press the bb menu key on Connections and select Expand

Select Location Data to Allow
    Last edited by pwerry; 03-18-09 at 04:39 PM.
    03-18-09 04:37 PM
    Poynt is the best site.... the only thing i would like to see is a notification when updates are available, instead of having to hear about them on here.
    03-18-09 06:00 PM
    I love this program. The new update does not seem any different so far. Only thing I noticed was that Poynt found the GPS quicker than normal. Not sure if that was just a fluke or actually because of the update.
    03-18-09 06:03 PM
    You can now choose between Blackberry Maps and Google Maps when you choose Map My Location. I think that's new!!!
    03-18-09 06:09 PM
    Poynt is the best site.... the only thing i would like to see is a notification when updates are available, instead of having to hear about them on here.
    Hi gatewayad!

Normally we do push update notifications to Poynt. However, this update was a maintenance build that contained some minor fixes for people with permission issues.

Since Poynt is updated frequently, we only push updates when a major issue is fixed or a new feature is added in an effort to keep the end-user experience as fluid as possible.

In other words, we don't want to bomb our users with updates every week because that could get annoying
    03-18-09 06:50 PM
    Hi gatewayad!

Normally we do push update notifications to Poynt. However, this update was a maintenance build that contained some minor fixes for people with permission issues.

Since Poynt is updated frequently, we only push updates when a major issue is fixed or a new feature is added in an effort to keep the end-user experience as fluid as possible.

In other words, we don't want to bomb our users with updates every week because that could get annoying

And THANK YOU for that ... excellent business practice ... I've used Poynt, Where and Beyond411 and even though all 3 are still installed on my Storm I find myself "getting the Poynt" almost every time ... great app.
    03-18-09 07:52 PM
    I also think when viewing the trailers, the picture quality is a lot better. I just updated to .68 through the App World. A few nice fixes, great stuff.
    04-02-09 10:47 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD