I've noted before there are too many inconsistancies with performance when we're loading the exact same OS (leak or official). So I think we should start posting:
    1. How we installed the OS
    2. What issues we're having

When upgrading / downgrading to a real Official OS (.75 / .65), I've:
    • Synced my contacts with DM
    • Backed up my 3rd party Aps with DM
    • Wiped the handheld using JL_Cmdr
    • installed the OS using loader.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader
    • pulled the battery after the phone comes up
    • resynced my contacts with DM
    • reloaded my 3rd party apps with DM

I do not restore anything from backup going to an official version. Because the leaks are beta level products, I believe there's the chance some data could have gotten corrupted during its use and a backup / restore would just put the corrupt data back on the phone. I did have a corrupt database at one time (don't remember what version I was using). DM backups would fail when trying to back up a database.

The issues I'm having with .90
    • Phone App -> BB key -> Options freezes the phone. Holding down the End key will power off the phone. On boot I get the error "Uncaught exception: Application net_rim_bb_phone_app (46) is not responding; process terminated. I noticed I had this error on .86 as well

I've never gotten the VZ 'screen of death' or media card not inserted when I do battery pulls, which I don't do except to test. I'm able to save pictures in .90 w/o issue. I test recorded 15m 31s of video without any problem. My battery life easily makes 24 - 36 hrs with 1-3 hrs music, 1-2 hrs voice, 4 email addresses, 20-30 sms, Bluetooth / GPS always on

And just to put to bed the born on / in bs:
    Made in Mexico 201108 (11/20/08)
    PRD - 19502 -002
    Model RBW71CW
    Received and activated 11/22/08
    01-22-09 10:20 AM
    I never have wiped my device.

.65 to .75 no problems
    .75 to .85 to .86 no problems, except phone options freeze-up (on .86)
    .86 to .90 only issue is still phone options freeze-up.

I do not have BBM installed, my camera works 100%, have tons of 3rd party apps (Aerize, Youtube, FB, Myspace, Slacker, Flycast, CB launcher, etc) and really have no major drains of memory. Start day using around 40-ish mb free, end at around 25-30 mb. Easily used to get 2 days of moderate use (txt, email, web, and a half-hour or so of media) on .85, but that fell off to around 1-1.5 days since .86. Haven't had time to test .90 much in that regard.

I've never had the VSOD or MC errors either...always leave my mem card installed, and I do not have the SIM inserted. Not sure if that makes any difference.
    01-22-09 01:28 PM
    .75 to .90

Synced all my information with outlook
    Ran a backup file
    Wiped the handheld with JL_Cmder
    Connected handheld to DM and went to update software.
    Disconnected from internet and installed software from DM 4.7
    Chose the applications to load onto the phone via the options screen.
    Re-synced the phone with outlook(through DM)
    Restored the backup file via DM

all in all... less than 30 minutes elapsed time.
    01-22-09 01:31 PM
    Never noticed a difference with wiipe or not so I don't bother anymore.

- Sync contacts with Outlook
    - Create restore using DM just in case (save w/different name)
    - Close DM
    - Open loader.exe
    - Verify that the OS is correct (in this case .90)
    - Choose option for loader to do backup and restore
    - Proceed with loader (ie Click Next)
    - Let loader do it's thing
    - Get fresh cup of coffee if it is afternoon or refill Scotch glass if at home
    - Wait until loader is finished

After Storm reboots check status to verify OS version. Check contacts and verify that there all there. If restore looks good then leave as is.

Finally, reload 3rd party apps. All the ones I use are free so I've just kept the .jad files.

A beria, aberia, aberia that's all folks.
    01-22-09 01:48 PM
    Well, I haven't had the problems with loads that some of you have.

What i do is simple.
    1. Load the new OS onto my computer
    2. Backup my settings & Backup my 3rd party apps.
    3. Pull the battery for 30 or more seconds - sometimes i am multitasking and it takes longer
    4. Pull up desktop manager and update the software.
    5. And this is the biggest thing i do... DON'T TOUCH IT UNTIL EVERYTHING IS FINISHED.

and BAM! Upgraded OS.

just as a note, i have never wiped my device clean except for whatever DM does.
    01-22-09 02:01 PM
    I've been one of the lucky ones too ::knocks on wood::

Bought storm on release day. Never had much problems with .65 other than it was just slow. Found crackberry.com shortly before .75 was released.

.65 -> .75 : just downloaded and installed using DM. No real problems other than it started doing random resets, typically starting on Friday nights and lasting throughout the weekend. Also usually only when I was at home (poor reception).

.75 -> .85 : Had more issues getting this one to install. Installed it onto my laptop, opened DM and it wouldn't find any updates. Uninstalled both .75 and .85 from laptop and reinstalled .85. Still no updates via DM. Downloaded jl_cmder and after trying to figure that out for 45 minutes, finally did a wipe, and still couldn't update through dm. finally someone mentioned the app loader and it worked like a charm. Again can't think of any real issues other than the normal lags and choppiness.

.85 -> .86 : Uninstalled .85 from laptop, installed .86. Wiped the phone w/ jl_cmder. didn't bother running DM, went straight to the app loader, didn't recognize any updates. fought with this one for a couple of hours until someone suggested deleting the vendor.xml file (i have verizon service, and as stated in the how to upgrade, deleting vendor was not supposed to be mandatory), so i deleted it and it worked fine. .86 was a solid os for me, though i know a lot of people had their issues. I don't use blue tooth so the LEDs weren't a problem for me. I also generally don't use the media players because I carry around my ipod so yeah. i loaded it on the 6th i think, and in three weeks i had to do two battery pulls for random freezes, and I think I had one reset.

.86 -> .90 : downloaded, installed. didn't do a wipe of my phone before installing with the app loader (also deleted the vendor.xml file). clean install, did seem to take a while tho, and did think it froze for a minute but decided to give it time and see what it was going to do, and it loaded no problem. I have been amazed with the update. It's so much more responsive, it seems quicker in general. I did notice a little big of lag when going through your photos, but it was still faster than in previous builds. i have no phone options freezes or any of the other bugs. pressing random buttons while trying to view a video in portrait mode (someone on the forums was asking about it) did cause the media controls to stay on the screen on portrait mode even after i exited out of the movie. phone didn't freeze tho, it was still just as responsive, just couldn't see half of the keyboard lol.

and i think i'm done w/ the book now. and i have no clue where my phone was built or anything like that, my box label has been sent to verizon
    01-22-09 02:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD