Ok we have talked about this before but never really got any definitive explination so i never tried it. but now i am wanting to try .85 so...

my phone is connected to my BES server. I do not have desktop manager installed, BES does everything for me. I do have usb/modem drivers installed for the storm on my vista pc at home so i can connect to it via mass storage mode and charge it.

so now someone mentioned they also used bes, didnt have desktop manager, installed the update and it automativally did a backup and upgraded his phone without desktop manager. but i was never able to get any confirmation on this. i am wondering if he is using the loader program directly?

so anyone know anything about this? anyone on bes and doesnt use desktop manager and still able to upgrade your device os?

I did it OTA with .75, it did the on-device backup and it worked great. but i want to be able to install leaks.

I also now use BIS and have several things installed on my device.

Lastly, i am using password keeper. does that data backup? is there a way to back it up manually? will it backup when i do the ugprade?

i assume it wont delete my voicenotes since htye are on the memory card/
    12-28-08 07:03 PM
    Without an OTA push, you can't install without DM. DM does a backup/restore as part of the OS upgrade if instructed to do so. BES will need to be reactivated after the upgrade.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-28-08 07:07 PM
    Civic, thanks i will install Desktop Manager on my pc then.

Re-activating isnt an issue sincei am the bes admin.

Will i need to do anything special since i am on a BES + BIS Setup? Will my bis and bes be backed up or will just BIS stuff be backed up with desktop manager?

i wish i could push this OTA, but its not possible till its ofifical.
    12-28-08 10:46 PM
    Civic, thanks i will install Desktop Manager on my pc then.

Re-activating isnt an issue sincei am the bes admin.
    Is it difficult to re-activate someone on BES? I've had to have my IS guy do it on .75, .83 and again tomorrow for .85. I hate that they have to do it for me. What's involved? Just generating a new activation password? It doesn't seem to take them more than a second or two, but I'm curious how much trouble I am putting them through.
    12-28-08 10:56 PM
    Is it difficult to re-activate someone on BES? I've had to have my IS guy do it on .75, .83 and again tomorrow for .85. I hate that they have to do it for me. What's involved? Just generating a new activation password? It doesn't seem to take them more than a second or two, but I'm curious how much trouble I am putting them through.
    You are correct, it really is just a matter of a few seconds.
    12-28-08 11:00 PM
    lol yeah its real easy. you login to the bes server (10 seconds over remote desktop or the like), open blackberry manager (5 seconds), find the user account (5-20 seconds depending on the number of users), right click on that person (1 second), select "generate and e-mail activation password" (1 second)

so basically it uses 22 - 37 seconds of your admin's time

dont let them tell you its alot of work or some crap. us admins have a habit of making things sound harder than they are so we can get more thanks

ok regarding my original issue/question.

When i install desktop manager on my HOME pc, do i select "work e-mail" or "personal e-mail" integration? I am using both BIS and BES so i dont know which to pick. - Also, this is my home pc, so it wont be able to connect to my company network.

Further, what does these 2 integration options do?
    12-29-08 12:16 AM
    OK i figured choosing "work e-mail" integration would be what i want. but after searching for a while i found this:

http://forums.crackberry.com/f52/des...er+integration

and now i dont know, cause it looks like he choose "Work e-mail integration" but unfortunaely the thread was never completed. so i have no idea.

maybe cuase its not on my work network i need to choose the "personal email integration / BIS" ??
    12-29-08 12:45 AM
    It's just that they are usually in the middle of something and this is a waste of time (distraction)
    12-29-08 09:17 AM
    bump, sorry i have had the install screen open since last night on the integration window.

can someone tell me what i should pick? if you read my last couple posts you will see that i am on bes, but want to install dm on my home pc, but foun a post where the person chose "Work -email" and it caused problems.
    12-29-08 02:19 PM
    At home install it as BIS not BES since you aren't on your work network.
    12-29-08 02:25 PM
    Here is what I do and it works:
    2 computers
    1 DM Personal install
    1 DM Enterprise (must be on work network)

Do update on DM Personal computer backup etc
    after update restore/install whatever apps needed

Now connect to DM Enterprise and the phone will activate itself, or get IT to reactivate you

This is what I do and it works every time
    12-29-08 03:33 PM
    tealturboser, why don't you just run the update on your "DM Enterprise" machine?
    12-29-08 04:56 PM
    I was able to successfully retain my BES with my upgrade. I had to get on the phone and have my helpdesk install DM 4.7 and the .85 leak on my work laptop. It was worth the trouble tho. My phone is way faster and seems to stay in the 40mb memory range. It used to average ~20mb when i was still on the .75 leak.
    12-29-08 04:59 PM
    ok great thanks all for your helpful replies. I am the bes admin so i dont have to worry about re-activating, i can do that myself, so thats one less thing to worry about.

So based on what youre saying, I will install DM 4.7 at home on my home windows pc and select BIS (personal e-mail) for the integration option.

Then i can do the backup and the upgrade.

I was concerned that if i installed DM 4.7 at home (not connected to corporate network) that it could cause an issue with BES.

OR

that if i selected BIS(personal e-mail) integration that it would remove BES from the device or something weird.

Cause the dm 4.7 is kind of weird. It says "How will you be using this device?"

a) using personal email accounts using BIS or
    b) using enterprise email from work using BES

but there is no option for both?!

Thanks all.

PS. what about the password keeper, will that get backed up when i do the upgrade as well? (ii thought it might not for security reasons or something, although the db is encrypted so i would think it would be ok to backup)
    12-29-08 05:10 PM
    Nice- I upgraded to .85 with BES today without calling my IT for help or an enterprise reactivation. I did it all threw my companies VPN and laptop. I uninstalled the Device manager and any old Blackberry OS upgrades from the laptop. Reinstalled and then told the program in the set up program for the DM that i had a BES. Finished install of Desktop software and then followed the How to guide here-

I did not turn off the internet, and the DM was able to find the newest version of the software.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    (Thanks to DonNguyen for the easy how to.)

After that did the install, phone booted up, I tried to send an email and took a min to go thru but it did go thru, then enterprise activation started automatically within ten mins after i finished up. GOOD STUFF! My night is MADE! (played with the kids, hung with the wife, stayed up late and upgraded my OS on my Storm. Great night.) I’m new to the world of Blackberry, with enough knowledge of computers and the internet to mess with the OS of my phone. (Knowing that if I screw up, I can find the help.) Only issue I have had was BES issues with upgrades and I figured that issue. Thanks for all the help. Love my Storm.
    12-29-08 11:12 PM
    Ok now i am confused. my friend also has a similiar setup to me, he uses BES and BIS on his storm.

he said when he installed desktop manager at home, he chose (personal e-mail - BIS) instead of (work e-mail - BES) as recommended as i do above.

he claims that since he didnt choose BES, that it deactivated his BES on the device when he did the upgrade.

does this make any sense? as mentioned above, should i choose (personal e-mail - BIS) when installing at home? i guess what he says makes sense, but i dont know.

edit: researching this i found another guy saying his BES would be deactivated everytime he connected at home. could he also have chosen the bis option for itnegrastion during installation? he never responded or finished the thread
    Last edited by cray1000; 12-31-08 at 04:47 AM.
    12-30-08 10:50 PM
    bump. sorry.

dont ask me why i dont just install it one way and try it, i guess i just cant risk messing up this phone right now, i really need it 24/7 at the moment.
    12-31-08 02:27 PM
    Ok i just went to finally install desktop manager on my home pc to do the update planning on choosing personal e-mail during the install but now i am not too sure...

it says:

"Integrate With A Personal E-mail Account:

Select this option if you purchased your device in a store or want to create a new e-mail address using the Blackberry Internet Service"
    I dont want to create an e-mail account, i already BIS and BES setup.

The other option is:

"Integrate with a work e-mail account:

Select this option if you use a Blackberry Enterprise server and want to access your work e-mails AND your personal e-mails on your device. "
    Wouldnt the 2nd option be more suiitable for me? I have BES (work) and BIS (personal) email on my device just as the 2nd option says. but i am getting alot of conflicting info from alot of people.

can someone who has done this fill me in with a 100% answer?

thanks
    01-01-09 03:11 AM
    bump. i really wanna update this device.
    01-01-09 05:00 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD