hey i use BES and it works well. I have my work email coming into my messages, and its all good. i have a few questions,

1) I would like to add my pop3 email account (unrelated to work) to my phone. I would like to know if this is possible to add in addition to BES and if it is (which i assume it is) if it will go to its own messages icon on the screen or go into the same messages as the BES E-mail. I think I have seen a youtube video or something where it looked like a person had several messages icons on the screen, is that what will happen if i add pop3? Or will it be all combined? I would assume its kept seperate.

2) What about yahoo e-mail. Do you have to have yahoo plus? And the same questions, is it combined or have its own icon?

3) Does the blackberry have a file manager application? How can i see whats on the device, move files to folders, etc. Or does the phone force you to go into specific programs to access their asociated files. I really like having the ability to use a file manager.

4) Question Mark! Is there no easy way to use a question mark? I use them alot, but hate having to go into the numbers menu. is there a shortcut like pressing space twice for a period?

5) I am desperate for a microsoft live search application! I know live is available for BB's but broken for the storm completely. So is there any other application that has this kind of local search ability? The BB maps doesnt work for this at all for me. I just want to be able to put in a city/state and then a name of a business or a category. so if i am going to be in newark, nj, i can search for starbucks in newark nj. i know this is possible with the browser, but its so much easier to have an app.

THanks!

-Mike

PS. i have been checking out stuff about the storm on youtube, it seems this guy phonedog has descent reviews, from the couple i saw, it seemed he gave the storm fair reviews. he clearly doesnt like the iphone much either, so its not as biased. he was a little harsh at times, but not unfairly so.
    11-28-08 05:14 AM
    I don't want to tell you that this isn't currently possible to add a POP account..

I believe it depends on the IT policy which is pushed to your device..

in past experience I was always told that we (as in my company) do not allow it.

someone on here who actually manages a BES server might be able to give you better advice on how it works...

I only know a little bit about the policy's and such.
    11-28-08 05:20 AM
    My Storm is connected to our BES and I'm also using the VZW BIS portal to get my personal email on the phone as well. The VZW BES plan gives you BIS access as well, the reverse is not true.

Just setup an account at www .blackberry. com/go/vzw and you can put your personal email account in. It's IMAP (which is better) btw, not POP.
    11-28-08 05:51 AM
    I am the bes admin and i have the standard non-restrictive IT policy set. so thats no an issue.

But the phone can pop mail itself? or imap mail it self? it has to be routed via BIS?

ALso, if BES is working, that means i had the bes plan right? they wont just turn on the BES plan cause i use it right? without me knowing?
    11-28-08 06:53 AM
    I am the bes admin and i have the standard non-restrictive IT policy set. so thats no an issue.

But the phone can pop mail itself? or imap mail it self? it has to be routed via BIS?

ALso, if BES is working, that means i had the bes plan right? they wont just turn on the BES plan cause i use it right? without me knowing?

Yes if its non restrictive then it shouldn't be a problem as stated above.. you also get bis access... The phones that I have dealt with are company owned... so I think they lock them down pretty tight.

About the BES part..

It was my understanding that devices on verizon are required to have a BES plan to connect to a BES server... some people have stated that they signed up for a BIS account and are connect to a BES server... I am not so sure that there plan wont be updated to a BES plan..

which is more money.
    11-28-08 06:57 AM
    Connecting to an Exchange server to get your email is not the same as being a true BES "push" client. We don't use BES but I do receive email via our Exchange server at work, difference us, if there hasn't been any activity in a while BIS only polls the server every 15 minutes.
    --bg

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-28-08 08:53 AM
    no i do have full BES push, i set it up myself (i sould know it took a full day to set all the permissions, etc)

so the phone will not connect to a pop or imap server itself.

(i dont understand why everything is forced through blackberry servers or get sued, all tht means is your screwed if they go down, winmo connects directly to the servers)
    11-28-08 05:48 PM
    no i do have full BES push, i set it up myself (i sould know it took a full day to set all the permissions, etc)

so the phone will not connect to a pop or imap server itself.

(i dont understand why everything is forced through blackberry servers or get sued, all tht means is your screwed if they go down, winmo connects directly to the servers)
    Bingo, this is one of the reasons why I like ActiveSync better. Along the same lines, Internet access on a non-BB device is also dependant upon the carrier's TCP connection unlike RIM's proxy based web browsing. If they go down, so does every single BB IN THE WORLD. (not cool in my book)
    11-28-08 06:53 PM
    yeah i remember when bb lost that law suit or soemthing and it was down or was going to be down. i dont remember what happened.

what about my other questions. is there a file manager?

also if i setup my imap/pop account using BIS, will it be on its own messages icon/folder or will it go in the same folder as the messages folder with the enterprise mail? i have seen people with multiple message icons on the screenshot.
    11-29-08 04:53 AM
    Bingo, this is one of the reasons why I like ActiveSync better. Along the same lines, Internet access on a non-BB device is also dependant upon the carrier's TCP connection unlike RIM's proxy based web browsing. If they go down, so does every single BB IN THE WORLD. (not cool in my book)
    My God Civic, how often do they go down? You talk as if it's once a month. ****, it's not once every 4 or 5 months. If that's your only argument, you need to get another one. I believe theres a reason most companies choose BES over the unworthy AS.
    11-29-08 05:35 AM
    My God Civic, how often do they go down? You talk as if it's once a month. ****, it's not once every 4 or 5 months. If that's your only argument, you need to get another one. I believe theres a reason most companies choose BES over the unworthy AS.

Over the years of supporting them most the time that the email didn't work was a service book issue... I honestly remember like 1 maybe 2 times they were down?

Now if you ask me about like years and years ago when they had devices that did just email and such with very little phone functionality. It was a garbage service.. I remember being on the phone for hours trying to get the dumb thing to work.. EDIT: at this time though I think we used like a desktop client that pushed the emails out or something like that I cant even remember anymore.

but its so solid now.
    11-29-08 05:52 AM
    Over the years of supporting them most the time that the email didn't work was a service book issue... I honestly remember like 1 maybe 2 times they were down?

Now if you ask me about like years and years ago when they had devices that did just email and such with very little phone functionality. It was a garbage service.. I remember being on the phone for hours trying to get the dumb thing to work.. EDIT: at this time though I think we used like a desktop client that pushed the emails out or something like that I cant even remember anymore.

but its so solid now.
    Very solid. Active Sync does not come close to matching up with BES. The only reason Civic doesn't like BES is because it costs money and doesn't come out of the box with BES, which is still zero indication of how one compares to another. As I previously posted, AS can't honestly think about matching up with BES in any way shape or form.
    11-29-08 05:59 AM
    ^^

(10 char)
    11-29-08 06:04 AM
    what about my questions 3 and 4?

especially a file manager? i have been asking, but no one seems to know... or its a dumb question

EDit:

ALSO, will my BIS mail go seperate of my BES mail? Will they get seperate folders? i would assume so right?
    Last edited by mike240se; 12-01-08 at 03:21 AM.
    12-01-08 03:18 AM
    I don't want to tell you that this isn't currently possible to add a POP account..
    That your way of saying it isn't possible?

I called VZW about it; he said it should default to POP3, told me to contact BB. He gave me a number to call, they want a credit card # for support. Did not say how much it would cost.
    12-09-08 08:28 PM
    Very solid. Active Sync does not come close to matching up with BES. The only reason Civic doesn't like BES is because it costs money and doesn't come out of the box with BES, which is still zero indication of how one compares to another. As I previously posted, AS can't honestly think about matching up with BES in any way shape or form.
    Actually, every Blackberry user can download a FREE copy of BlackBerry Professional Software Express witch is BES "lite" It will only support up to 30 users and when you download it, it comes with one free client key to get you started. You can get it for either Lotus or Exchange. The only requirements to downloading the server software is that you have a valid Blackberry PIN number.

Since my company has a small number for users on Blackberry's, the BlackBerry Professional Software Express was perfect for us and cost us $0. I can do basically everything the full BES server can do.

Do a Google search on it to get the link.
    12-09-08 08:48 PM
    what about my questions 3 and 4?

especially a file manager? i have been asking, but no one seems to know... or its a dumb question

EDit:

ALSO, will my BIS mail go seperate of my BES mail? Will they get separate folders? i would assume so right?
    I have a BES and a BIS setup. You will get a separate folder for the BIS account (you can have up to 5 additional accounts by the way) BUT for the main mailbox, which contains your BES account, it will display both your BES and BIS emails. If your in your main mail box and you reply to your BIS email, it wil automatically go out using your BIS account and if you reply to an email on your BES account, it will automatically respond from the BES so you don't have to worry about switching accounts. If you create an email, you can switch what account it goes out on prior to sending it.

If you ompose an email from within the BIS folder, it will assume that you want to email using that account and same holds true fo the main email folder.
    12-09-08 08:54 PM
    its something your admin needs to do, default setting is as described in previous posts

take a look at kb15003 on blackberry com support
    (i cant post links)
    12-09-08 09:52 PM
    its something your admin needs to do, default setting is as described in previous posts

take a look at kb15003 on blackberry com support
    (i cant post links)
    WOW YOU ARE AWESOME! A gentleman and a scholar! I have never seen this!

For those who want the link its:

View Document

I have not tried it yet but it appears you can get an icon for the BES mailbox on your homescreen instead of it being combined with BIS mail in messages! No more needing 3rd party software?!?!

The reason i havent tried it yet is because it says its for BES, can anyone confirm it also works for BPS? Alot of them are the same, so i think it would, but since its a weird patch that edits the datbase, i dont wanna try it till i know its safe.

thanks man, i have been looking for something like this.
    12-31-08 01:19 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD