Ok new question, If theres no way to change the os, what about remove the god awful click and make it truely touchable.
    05-30-09 03:50 PM
    i was gonna write something but i changed my mind, better judgement has taken hold of me.
    Good for you, Patches! I'm so proud of you!
    05-30-09 03:53 PM
    Ok new question, If theres no way to change the os, what about remove the god awful click and make it truely touchable.
    Dude....please stop...I'm gonna shoot myself...

Why did you get this phone???!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Go to mom and dad, and tell them to get you an omnia or something....please just....ugh...
    05-30-09 03:53 PM
    The phone differs from a computer in that it won't just allow you to put an OS of your choice on and expect it to run by adding a couple of drivers. The hardware is tightly integrated into the device and requires a proprietary OS to make everything work.

Kudos for thinking outside the box. Unfortunately, you're not going to be able to do much of what you want.
    05-30-09 03:57 PM
    Its not impossible just very hard to do. Probably easier to just buy an iPhone. You'd have to rewrite come major code.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-30-09 03:57 PM
    05-30-09 03:58 PM
    14 lol
    You need a blackberry at 14?
    05-30-09 03:59 PM
    05-30-09 04:37 PM
    in before close
    05-30-09 04:42 PM
    Good for you, Patches! I'm so proud of you!
    i've had about enough outta you, schmoopie!
    05-30-09 04:49 PM
    Within the next 12 months there will be a sh!t load.
    Don't go crazy trying to reprogram such a beautiful gem as the storm. Just me patient mon...don't worry be happy (spoken like a Jamaican)

Actually the Storm is programmed pretty terribly from what I hear. J2ME isn't even good to begin with.
    05-30-09 04:49 PM
    Within the next 12 months there will be a sh!t load.
    Don't go crazy trying to reprogram such a beautiful gem as the storm. Just me patient mon...don't worry be happy (spoken like a Jamaican)

slap a 'da bass, mon! big tyme!!!
    05-30-09 04:51 PM
    Actually the Storm is programmed pretty terribly from what I hear. J2ME isn't even good to begin with.
    this is one of the areas where i am as lost as most other users are when they do an OS upgrade and don't have a browser

i don't do programming, so i have no clue what is good and what is bad. how does the code differ for writing apps vs. writing for say a curve or bold? does the alteration of the code to implement the touch screen change things THAT much? you'd think it would just be a variation of the trackball controls, and the click = trackball click...but maybe i'm to simplistic in my perspective.
    05-30-09 04:53 PM
    this is one of the areas where i am as lost as most other users are when they do an OS upgrade and don't have a browser

i don't do programming, so i have no clue what is good and what is bad. how does the code differ for writing apps vs. writing for say a curve or bold? does the alteration of the code to implement the touch screen change things THAT much? you'd think it would just be a variation of the trackball controls, and the click = trackball click...but maybe i'm to simplistic in my perspective.
    Java is very dirty code to write in, the "garbage files" it leaves behind when doing simple tasks is what cause 95% of memory issues within the BBOS..which of course is why it will never be fixed, simply due to the fact RIM will not step away from that platform.

As for changes say Touch vs. Click..with the new API's and developer software it's fairly easy to achieve but that is within the BBOS it's self, not going from one OS too another OS..that's where it would get tricky in this case but their is a multitude of other issues before you could even reach that point anyways.

BlackBerry smartphones based on Java technology depend on available flash memory for many tasks. Having low flash memory can lead to delays in processing information on the BlackBerry smartphone because the process for recovering blocks of flash memory, known as garbage collection, happens more frequently, which takes time. Java garbage collections automatically reclaim flash memory that is no longer being used by the Java operating system. Java garbage collections may also re-arrange blocks of flash memory that are in use to create larger contiguous blocks of available flash memory. Just as a computer uses the hard disk as a source of virtual memory, the BlackBerry smartphone writes out lesser-used portions of its operating flash memory (normally held in fast static random access memory (SRAM)) to the slower flash memory. As the BlackBerry smartphone's flash memory begins to fill up, the BlackBerry smartphone must work harder to re-arrange the flash memory to allocate the storage space it needs for normal operation. Therefore, low flash memory causes garbage collections to happen more frequently and take a longer time to complete, which also uses battery power.
    From RIM Knowledge Base

Also the reason why I laugh at the sheer amnt of users who say "That app eats all my memory"...guess what, 5% of apps may do this...the other 95 is because the OS is gummed because you got all clicky and cause the memory leak your self by going nuts and clicking your application switcher more then 30 times which it's self causing a memory leak in the OS.

And, oh yes...Keeping on topic, iPhone OS on BB Storm...sure, you can put it on there..but the chances of it running are slim to none ontop of the fact I have NEVER seen anyone access the internal flash memory of a BB that didn't work for RIM and have some which shall remain unnamed internal tool to be able to overwrite the memory and gain access to the internal boot loader.
    05-30-09 05:19 PM
    After I found out his age.I didn't read anymore. I just wanted to post in this thread. Our country is doomed if this is the typical intelligence level of our 14 year olds...

05-30-09 05:26 PM
    After I found out his age.I didn't read anymore. I just wanted to post in this thread. Our country is doomed if this is the typical intelligence level of our 14 year olds...

I blame the parents!
    05-30-09 05:33 PM

Hey, Howarmat... be careful with that statement. My kids won't own cell phones until they are driving cars, and then will only own them for emergencies. So my kids wouldn't know the first thing about programming... but they are extremely intelligent and have good common sense.
    05-30-09 05:38 PM
    If there was an award for the most silly question ever you'd win hands down.

course the iphone os won"t go on the storm. silly silly.
    05-30-09 05:41 PM
    Hey, Howarmat... be careful with that statement. My kids won't own cell phones until they are driving cars, and then will only own them for emergencies. So my kids wouldn't know the first thing about programming... but they are extremely intelligent and have good common sense.
    well atleast there is a little hope left then!
    05-30-09 05:42 PM

Why. Seems like he's thinking outside of the box. Every time I hear a comment like that it makes me want to scream. The kid is trying to get the most out of his equipment and trying to figure out a way to do it which is actually a step farther along than someone cooking up a hybrid from broken parts made by RIM. You should be encouraging younger people with that kind of motivation instead of making irrelevant and snarky remarks that bring nothing to the discussion. Geez. Some people have nothing good to say on these forums.
    05-30-09 09:02 PM
    Why. Seems like he's thinking outside of the box. Every time I hear a comment like that it makes me want to scream. The kid is trying to get the most out of his equipment and trying to figure out a way to do it which is actually a step farther along than someone cooking up a hybrid from broken parts made by RIM. You should be encouraging younger people with that kind of motivation instead of making irrelevant and snarky remarks that bring nothing to the discussion. Geez. Some people have nothing good to say on these forums.
    It is one thing to want the most out of your device and their is plenty of info to get the most out of your "BB", but the kid wants an iPhone. A BB is not nor will ever be an iPhone and I for one am happy and proud of that.
    05-30-09 09:16 PM
    Pass me a hanging pic too, I need to hang myself
    I wanna be hung too.... sorry... couldn't help myself!!!
    05-30-09 09:29 PM
    If he was actually trying to get the most out of his device i would agree, he isnt though.

He is 14 and doesnt even need a storm in the first place. No one in jr high needs a phone even IMO. Being 14, he is actually on mommy and daddies plan and not his. When asked why he wants the iphone OS, his reply is so he can run IPOD apps

Touch grind, Papi jump, the flash grenade, shotgun, beer drinker, and whatever cool apps i would find on there
    thats a great selection of useful apps right there

Then he states this:
    So basically he is whining about his mommy and daddy not buying him an iphone and being stuck with the "crappy" storm. He is not thinking outside the box at all.
    05-30-09 09:46 PM
    Its not impossible just very hard to do. Probably easier to just buy an iPhone. You'd have to rewrite come major code.

Actually, I can nip this in the bud. You CAN NOT change the OS at all, unless you have the tools to access the internal flash boot sector. You can count a very small amount of people that can do this.
    05-30-09 09:50 PM
    I know nothing about the os but as someone else already stated, why bother? If you want an iphone get one! As far as kids having blackberries, my 14 year old step-son has been creating 32-bit videogames for fun for the last 2 years. When the os leaks first started coming out I used him to help me figure out exactly how to do the mms fix for .122. Anyway he was so knowledgeable we went out the next day and got him a Storm as well. Most "kids" can handle these phones better than we can! He can also make themes like the one we created for his mom's pearl, "Bankerberry".
    05-30-09 10:57 PM
52 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD